No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A handful of COVID-19 vaccine recipients who also suffer from weakened immune systems developed shingles a few days after getting the shot, according to a new study Scientists in Israel studied 491…

Comment

• People with an autoimmune disorder got shingles? What a ****ing surprise!

BTW...shingles is a fate worse than death according to some that have had it.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Some people (my 9 year old if you can call him a person) forget they are wearing them.
        I'm the opposite. I forget I'm not wearing one and don't notice that others are. No more signs on Walmart except that workers will wear them.

Comment

• https://www.kake.com/story/43720445/...nge-mask-rules

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) - Kansas counties continue to have a lower vaccination rate than the country, and reports of unfilled appointments for shots are confirming concerns about vaccine hesitancy.

Across the country, vaccination rates are slowing, with cities nationwide reporting thousands of open appointments. In recent weeks, Sedgwick County has seen large numbers of appointments not being made as well.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 44% of counties in the country are battling high community spread of COVID-19, but many rural area have a low turnout for the vaccine.

Health experts say a 70% to 80% vaccination rate is needed for herd immunity. Kansas is at just over 36%, and Sedgwick County is on pace for under 50%.

And in the past week, the Associated Press reports Kansas had a 32% increase in the total number of confirmed variant coronavirus cases as all five variants of concern have now been identified in the state.
          Sixty-two Kansas Counties rejected their weekly allocations of COVID-19 vaccines from the state this week even though only roughly 34% of Kansans have received at least one shot.

Sixty-two Kansas Counties rejected their weekly allocations of COVID-19 vaccines from the state this week even though only roughly 34% of Kansans have received at least one shot.

Even as Kansas remains far from reaching the coveted public health standard of herd immunity against COVID-19 — essentially starving off the virus because it runs out of vulnerable bodies — more than 60 counties just turned down their weekly allotment of vaccine doses.

Not long ago, local health officials struggled to get enough doses for people clamoring for protection in a pandemic. Now they’re straining to get people willing to take their shots — and sorting out how to make the most of doses given out to smaller groups.

Consider Barton County in central Kansas. It’s named for Clara Barton, the founder of the American Red Cross. So far, it’s given at least one dose of the vaccine to about 30% of its adults compared to 36.4% across the state.

A decline in demand

“Herd immunity is great and 80% sounds wonderful,” said Karen Winkelman, a nurse and the Barton County health director. “But I don’t think we would ever reach that.”

She’d be happy if half the adults in Barton County got vaccinated. Herd immunity typically requires that more than three-fourths of a population get protected against a virus.
          If counties like Barton plateau in that 30 to 50% range, experts typically worry that the community remains vulnerable to sickness, to overwhelmed hospitals and to avoidable deaths.

“That’s a problem,” said Dennis Kriesel, the executive director of the Kansas Association of Local Health Departments. “Everyone would agree 30% is not going to do it.”

Settling for lower immunization rates, he said, invites more waves in the deadly pandemic.

“It would mean that we would still have a great likelihood that COVID is going to stay present in the community,” Kriesel said.

The 50% of a county that’s vaccinated will experience more freedom to socialize without masks or to eat at indoor restaurants.

“But on the flip side, with so many people that are unvaccinated, if (COVID-19) stays and takes root and continues to spread, that’s what develops the variants, because these things are mutating,” Kriesel said. “They’re always mutating.”

Barton County isn’t alone. This week, 62 counties declined their weekly allocations of vaccines from the state.

On weekly calls with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Winkelman said, “there has been talk of that very thing. ... ‘Do you feel like you’ve saturated your community?’ ‘Maybe.’”

Cheyenne, Decatur, Lane, Phillips, Sheridan, and Woodson Counties have skipped their allocations for the past four weeks. Their immunization rates range from roughly 26% to 32%.
          Sad, dumb, unsurprising.
          Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; April 21, 2021, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Since it’s all about race nowadays, can we get a racial breakdown on vaccinations?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Which ones? Links please.
              It was in the NYT article. Monmouth poll I believe. 1 in 20 vs 1 in 2 rejecting vaccine (D's vs R's).

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

It was in the NYT article. Monmouth poll I believe. 1 in 20 vs 1 in 2 rejecting vaccine (D's vs R's).
                That’s 95% vs 50%. Kinda misleading, wouldn’t you agree? I will look this one up while you provide the links for the other polls you reference. Or was that a bit misleading as well?
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

So no links...got it. Thanks.

Comment

• The last poll I saw was about 40% of white, male republicans wouldn’t take the vaccine. That means about 60% are and that doesn’t account for the other demographics of the party. Even so, something doesn’t meet the smell test. Most on this board are right of center and my guess, white male. So who isn’t taking the vaccine because it seems like almost everyone in these discussions are?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      The last poll I saw was about 40% of white, male republicans wouldn’t take the vaccine. That means about 60% are and that doesn’t account for the other demographics of the party. Even so, something doesn’t meet the smell test. Most on this board are right of center and my guess, white male. So who isn’t taking the vaccine because it seems like almost everyone in these discussions are?
                      White republican here who is fully vaccinated.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• As I mentioned earlier, some Walgreens providing vaccines now. Fill out the form online, set the appointment and show up. Minimal wait, friendly staff, minimal homeless, easy peasy.

I can't believe there are too many people more anti-vax than I, in general. Certainly at my age and health, this did hit home a lot closer than usual. My arm is a little sore, but nothing I would otherwise mention (I woke up early. Nobody cares.). 2nd dose in a little over 2 weeks.

I certainly respect anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated. The argument "It's best to comply for the greater good" doesn't fly with me, and it shouldn't with anyone, ever.

I hope everyone here, family and friends alike, are all doing well.

Comment

• From the CDC on Vaccinations.

vaccine 1.JPG

Comment

• The effectiveness of a single dose of Pfizer or Moderna, and the diminishing return on the second shot is interesting. A single shot of Pfizer or Moderna gives 80 effectiveness, and the second one takes you up to 90% two weeks after you take the second dose.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                              From the CDC on Vaccinations.

vaccine 1.JPG
                              Thanks. Those white Haysville rednecks sure are taking it on the chin with this thang.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                                The last poll I saw was about 40% of white, male republicans wouldn’t take the vaccine. That means about 60% are and that doesn’t account for the other demographics of the party. Even so, something doesn’t meet the smell test. Most on this board are right of center and my guess, white male. So who isn’t taking the vaccine because it seems like almost everyone in these discussions are?
                                White republican here. First vaccine scheduled for tomorrow. 2/2 on our Shockernet poll so far. 100% of white republicans getting their vaccines.

Comment

Working...
                                X