Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
    https://www.vox.com/2020/7/12/213216...-herd-immunity

I've been worried about this, particularly with the asymptomatic infected. Dr. Fauci speaks on being dubious about the reliance on Covid-19 antibodies as other types of Coronavirus antibodies have proven to be quite temporary. The word on the street now is: the worse you get it, the better antibodies you will have, but don't expect them to last beyond 6mos. to a year.

My personal guidance on the issue remains the same: Take reasonable precautions and do not get the bug. :(

P.S. Reasonable precautions would not be takin' the wife and kids to Sizzler and using hand sanitizer. STAY OUT of small, enclosed spaces filled with people that aren't in your family.

P.P.S. Get the best mask you can find if you're going into the supermarket and don't dawdle.

P.P.P.S Pray for a solid vaccine (likely bi-annual) with little side effects. Some of the "good ones" they have now give you a fever and all sorts of ****. *sigh*

T

https://fortune.com/2020/07/13/coron...test-covid-19/

In a potentially huge blow to the global pursuit of developing an effective COVID-19 cure, researchers in London say that antibodies in patients who have become infected by the virus may decline, or even disappear, within months, suggesting immunity from an eventual vaccine could fade as well over time.

The study, which has yet to be peer-reviewed, was conducted by a group of researchers at King's College London on 96 patients and healthcare workers in London hospitals who had previously tested positive for the virus.

Nonetheless, a group of established researchers polled by the U.K.'s Science Media Centre described the research as robust, forming an early indication that COVID-19 has the potential to be a recurring, seasonal virus—much like the common flu bug—likely complicating efforts to completely eradicate the virus.

“Similar short-lived responses are seen against other human coronaviruses that predominantly cause only mild illness, meaning that we can be re-infected as time goes by and outbreaks can adopt seasonality," said Stephen Griffin, an associate professor in the School of Medicine at the University of Leeds. "With the more serious, sometimes fatal, outcomes of SARS-COV2, this is troubling indeed."

The study found that antibodies in the patients swiftly declined in the weeks and months after symptoms first appeared. The antibodies were most significant in patients who had a more severe response to the virus.

Only 17% of the 60% of patients who had had a particularly strong antibody response when they were fighting the virus still had those those antibodies at the same levels three months later. In some cases, the antibodies disappeared entirely, the researchers found.
    However, several experts noted that hopes to build immunity to the virus are not entirely reliant on antibodies, but also on other immune responses, which may potentially help fight the virus during future infections, if not protect from it completely.

"Even if you’re left with no detectable circulating antibodies, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have no protective immunity because you likely have memory immune cells (B and T cells) that can rapidly kick into action to start up a new immune response if you re-encounter the virus. So you might well get a milder infection," said Mala Maini, a professor of viral immunology and a consultant physician at UCL.

"We know from SARS infection (SARS-CoV-1) that T cells persisted many years longer than antibodies," she said.

Now, researchers need to determine whether that will also be the case after a patient contracts COVID-19.
    Stay tuned!

T

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Nope. Not what I am saying at all.

Are you saying there will be hundreds? Thousands?
      No, should be less than 10 (possibly less than 5) in the next two weeks.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

And with that "new knowledge" wouldn't it be great if those who are now concerned could enter a time machine and erase all the risky behavior they had been engaging in over the last two weeks?

Realizing the hospitals are full is too late.

#lilypads

T

New? I have been watching this since before this thread was created. The people of Sedgwick County, including its leadership, have done a great job managing this. But every community in America will get their turn, and this is ours. Now it's time to buckle down. In a few weeks it'll be time to open back up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

New? I have been watching this since before this thread was created. The people of Sedgwick County, including its leadership, have done a great job managing this. But every community in America will get their turn, and this is ours. Now it's time to buckle down. In a few weeks it'll be time to open back up.
          By "new knowledge" I meant your own.

It was time to buckle down a few months ago...

And there is a zero chance we will be out of this in two weeks lol.

WTF?!

T

Comment

• https://www.ksn.com/news/health/coro...-highest-ever/

Just got off the phone with the leadership at our #Wichita hospitals & admitted patients for covid19 are the highest ever. If these numbers continue at the same rate our hospitals will reach compacity in 2-3 weeks (sooner if we have a 4th of July bump). Please wear your mask.
            Gonna need to see infections decline and then we'll see hospitalizations decline 3-4 weeks after that. Fasten your seatbelts Wichita!

T

Comment

It was time to buckle down a few months ago...
              Few months ago? Your nosophobia is flaring up wildly again.

Comment

And there is a zero chance we will be out of this in two weeks.
                I didn't say we would.

Comment

Few months ago? Your nosophobia is flaring up wildly again.
                  Agree to disagree. :)

Hindsight is 20/20

I'm speaking strategic - risk/reward.

Our community shutdown (several months ago) bought us time. I'm thankful we were "progressive" *gags* on the issue. :)

T

Comment

• I swear Cold ejaculates everytime a person dies from Covid.

Does everyone else see this guy cheering on the disease like it’s his favorite sport team?!?

Rah, rah, rah!
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

https://www.ksn.com/news/health/coro...-highest-ever/

Gonna need to see infections decline and then we'll see hospitalizations decline 3-4 weeks after that. Fasten your seatbelts Wichita!

T

Yet no deaths since June 25th.

Comment

Hospitalizations in Sedgwick County took a big jump from 31 to 54 -- and so did ICU bed usage, as expected. There's only 8 ICU beds available out of 35 in the county at this time, which is no bueno. This is not the time to risk getting sick.
                        Are you sure that there's only 35 icu beds in the county? That number cant be right. You couldn't handle a natural disaster with only 35 icu beds. Somebody isnt reporting correctly. One icu bed per 14,000? There are 100,000 icu beds in the us. If Sedgewick County only has 35, Covid or no Covid, you're greatly underserved.
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Seriously if they’ve only allotted 35 icu beds when the expectation is that icu trips are going to spike so high, what kind of incompetence is that? Or it’s more fuzzy math, one of the two.

Comment

• That is a scary number. As a comparison, I tried to pull up Des Moines icu bed census and stumbled across an article that showed icu beds per each larger city in the state. If I lived in Wichita and 35 is the correct number, I'd be more than a little alarmed. Here are some icu bedcounts:
                            Des Moines 170
                            Quad Cities 140
                            Sioux City 59
                            Waterloo 36
                            https://www.bleedingheartland.com/20...-large-metros/

I wouldn't just be concerned about icu beds and covid, I'd wonder wtf led to Sedgewick County having one fewer ICU bed than Waterloo, Ia? I really pray that that 35 number is off. For the record, Waterloo's population is 68,000.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Are you sure that there's only 35 icu beds in the county? That number cant be right. You couldn't handle a natural disaster with only 35 icu beds. Somebody isnt reporting correctly. One icu bed per 14,000? There are 100,000 icu beds in the us. If Sedgewick County only has 35, Covid or no Covid, you're greatly underserved.
                              There are only 35 ICU beds with ventilators and equipment to fight Covid-19, yes. I think they may all be at only St Francis and Wesley.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                                That is a scary number. As a comparison, I tried to pull up Des Moines icu bed census and stumbled across an article that showed icu beds per each larger city in the state. If I lived in Wichita and 35 is the correct number, I'd be more than a little alarmed. Here are some icu bedcounts:
                                Des Moines 170
                                Quad Cities 140
                                Sioux City 59
                                Waterloo 36
                                https://www.bleedingheartland.com/20...-large-metros/

I wouldn't just be concerned about icu beds and covid, I'd wonder wtf led to Sedgewick County having one fewer ICU bed than Waterloo, Ia? I really pray that that 35 number is off. For the record, Waterloo's population is 68,000.
                                Sedgwick County has a little over 100 ICU beds total, I believe, but only 35 to handle covid-19 patients (at the moment).

Comment

Working...
                                X