Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

But let's face it, the most effective control would be a vaccine. Then we can get rid of the masks and not have to worry about social distancing.
    True, but we still don't have one for the flu and that pandemic was a hundred years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
      Can Face Shields Better Protect Against COVID Than Masks?
      If so....somebody out there has to be thinking retrofit.

Comment

• I mean really, we're one mask away from a rebellion.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I really have no issues if you or anyone else wears a mask for whatever reason. My wife wears a mask and only goes into stores that have capacity restrictions. The corner liquor store will load her beer in the trunk, and the farmer helps load our quarter beef. Tractor Supply and Aldi’s (where we get our fish sticks) have capacity restrictions.

I just wonder why no one wears a crash helmet while driving?
            N 95's work, that cute piece of **** you mother in law sewed for you doesn't. But she felt really important sewing it, and you feel really safe wearing it. You feel more important and wiser than those who opt not to wear one.

But it's a false sense of security. It's like a condom with a hole. You feel like you did your part. You feel smarter than those that opt not to wear a condom with a hole, but both are assuming the same exact risk.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Im gonna start wearing this mask.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I only wore that plexi-glass type mask once, and it was not a pleasant experience. Bone is hard to cut as it is, and wearing one of those makes it even harder.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I don't have an issue one way or the other. If the store requires it, I oblige them. If someone isn't wearing one, I don't really care. I have a couple of N95 masks that I bought several years ago when I was doing some sort of project. They've never been used. I was afraid to wear it originally because when they were scarce, I was afraid someone would accuse me of hoarding them and I would have had to use the plexi-glass mask again.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

True, but we still don't have one for the flu and that pandemic was a hundred years ago.
                    We do have a flu shot that works. Unfortunately less than 50% of the US gets the shot each year. Better than 0% but would be more effective if more people got it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

N 95's work, that cute piece of **** you mother in law sewed for you doesn't. But she felt really important sewing it, and you feel really safe wearing it. You feel more important and wiser than those who opt not to wear one.

But it's a false sense of security. It's like a condom with a hole. You feel like you did your part. You feel smarter than those that opt not to wear a condom with a hole, but both are assuming the same exact risk.
                      I try my best to ignore your posts on this board as I don’t like your projected online persona and don’t believe you post in good faith so a conversation with you is pointless.

However, I am past tired of reading bullshit like you’ve posted above.

Not only are you being a complete asshole, which is your default mode, but you’re spreading false information under the guise of expertise which I do not believe you possess.

Comment

• Not being an asshole. If you think wearing a homemade mask is doing anything, go for it. If you think wearing a condom with a hole in it provides you protection, be my guest! I dont have a problem with anyone doing anything. Personallt, I'm not a fan of doing things for the sake of false security. I always wear a seat belt, it's been proven to add protection. I dont drink and drive. I wash my hands and do everything else. I don't engage in silly behaviors designed solely to either (a) give a false sense of security or (b) giving a false sense of constructive action.

A red aids ribbon cured nobody. It didnt hurt anyone. Unfortunately, the elderly and immunocompromised are leaving home with homemade masks, interacting in public with the false sense of security that these measures offer them. About as good as a hole in a condom.

But go ahead and feel good about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

We do have a flu shot that works. Unfortunately less than 50% of the US gets the shot each year. Better than 0% but would be more effective if more people got it.
                          We do have a flu shot that sorta works, but it's not a vaccine

Comment

We develop a brand new flu vaccine every year. It is about 50% effective at stopping you from getting the flu, because sometimes they guess wrong on the predominate strains. So, if 50% of people get the vaccine (probably less), then about 25% of the population is immune.

Livin the dream

Comment

Depending on your definition of “works”.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                                Not being an asshole. If you think wearing a homemade mask is doing anything, go for it. If you think wearing a condom with a hole in it provides you protection, be my guest! I dont have a problem with anyone doing anything. Personallt, I'm not a fan of doing things for the sake of false security. I always wear a seat belt, it's been proven to add protection. I dont drink and drive. I wash my hands and do everything else. I don't engage in silly behaviors designed solely to either (a) give a false sense of security or (b) giving a false sense of constructive action.

A red aids ribbon cured nobody. It didnt hurt anyone. Unfortunately, the elderly and immunocompromised are leaving home with homemade masks, interacting in public with the false sense of security that these measures offer them. About as good as a hole in a condom.

But go ahead and feel good about that.
                                Stop with the ridiculous condom and AIDS ribbon comparison.

You are a selfish individual so you think only of the mask as a way to protect the person wearing it. That’s not the idea behind it, it’s about protecting others.

If everyone correctly wore a mask, even a cloth one, into indoor locations, it would help limit the spread of coronavirus. Combine that with keeping a safe distance from others and transmission would be even further limited.

Yes, there are limits to even the n95 masks. Saying they or cloth masks are 100% effective in all situations would be wrong the same way saying they’re completely ineffective is also wrong.

Does wearing a mask in public places make me feel good? No, I don’t really like wearing it. Based on my research, however, it is an effective way to prevent spreading something I may not know I have to another person. It just seems like the right thing to do and requires zero effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X