Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

The sooner we can know how many people have had it, asymptomatically or mildly, and have recovered the better.
    We will never know. We do know that all 57 members from the cruiseship recovered. The last few are scheduled for release.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Think of communicable diseases like bowling (won't get you through Med School, but may provide some perspective). If some of the pins are bolted to the floor (immunizations, etc.) then even if the ball (disease) strikes them, they won't fall. If YOU aren't bolted down, you may STILL be ok as long as enough pins around you are; that's herd immunity. In the case of diseases like this, no one is bolted down. Instead, we're trying to spread the pins far enough apart that when the ball strikes one, others may still be ok because of a lack of contact. So, no guarantees the ball won't hit YOU, but hopefully it will be limited to JUST you. The more you move around, the better chance of getting hit, either by the ball or another falling pin.

Comment

• Plea from Israeli Scientist for Brother to Flee Coronavirus

Comment

• I'm about 97% sure I already had this back in late Dec. through Jan. And so does a good number of people I know who were ill with what we all thought was the flu. The dry cough and ridiculous chest (lung) thing was very apparent. About 6 weeks to full recovery.

In early to mid Jan. we had an unprecedented 45-50% of our employees call out sick for stretches of time. This is an office of appx. 120 employees.

Obviously I cannot know for sure...but I'm now of the thought since the scare and panic was not happening at that time and people back in December and January thought they simply had a bad flu...that maybe...just maybe this has become a media driven circus to control and influence the population world wide.

I'm almost to the point of thinking...if you've already had the flu this year...you probably had the coronavirus. If you haven't yet had the flu...there's a good chance you will get it.

This is just one man's opinion of course. Godspeed to everyone. Wash hands. Eat well. And get good sleep. Truly believe this will be over quicker than expected and the truth will come out that probably millions in the United States had a bad flu and...

...that is all.
          - Sorry ShockerRef...had to do it! :)
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Arizona; were you tested for hauntavirus?

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              Arizona; were you tested for hauntavirus?
              Isn't Hauntavirus more prevalent during El Nino? I guess it is possible, as we were impacted by El Nino early until last summer, which means it may have rained enough for the 'rest' of the ingredients to trigger.

I believe the 'famous New Mexico cluster' occurred during an El Nino.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                Arizona; were you tested for hauntavirus?
                I was not. However it was a big scare down here in the Sonoran Desert way back in 1994.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• ...and right now all I got going is the new bug going around. Seen quite a few reports on it via Twitter and Facebook. I think they're calling it the Transfervirus. Dolp. :)
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Isn't Hauntavirus more prevalent during El Nino? I guess it is possible, as we were impacted by El Nino early until last summer, which means it may have rained enough for the 'rest' of the ingredients to trigger.

I believe the 'famous New Mexico cluster' occurred during an El Nino.
                    Yes, but no one can explain clearly why. Might be association rather than any cause and effect. The theories revolve around how it could impact rodent activity, since they are the vectors for disease. Kinda like MS; first thought to be related to cold weather as cases clustered in the upper Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.) but now is clearly recognized not to have any clear relation. So, no one would say "no way, it's not El Nino!" to hantavirus.

Comment

• I know these things can change but as of right now, there are close to 19,000 reported cases in the US with 231 deaths. That puts the mortality rate in the US at .01%. Again, I know things can change but just putting that out there at this time.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        I know these things can change but as of right now, there are close to 19,000 reported cases in the US with 231 deaths. That puts the mortality rate in the US at .01%. Again, I know things can change but just putting that out there at this time.
                        is it .01% or 1%

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          I know these things can change but as of right now, there are close to 19,000 reported cases in the US with 231 deaths. That puts the mortality rate in the US at .01%. Again, I know things can change but just putting that out there at this time.
                          Sure. But you have to imagine the most critical patients are still receiving a high standard of care. Should the system get overwhelmed, I would think the standard of care will not be the same for every critical patient.
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

is it .01% or 1%
                            numbers-3-18.jpg

The numbers speak for themselves. Supposedly as of this writing the probability of infection is 1 in 1 million.

I don't doubt the lethality of this virus to those with a compromised respiratory system, and a few other circumstances, but the numbers don't point to the necessity of inducing the Mother of all Great Recessions. It seems there is a glaring imbalance there.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

is it .01% or 1%
                              You’re right.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Sure. But you have to imagine the most critical patients are still receiving a high standard of care. Should the system get overwhelmed, I would think the standard of care will not be the same for every critical patient.
                                I understand that and that’s why I said the numbers are as of now, subject to change.

I think the larger risk is in the highly congested metro areas. Suppression is the key. I’d say we’ll have a much clearer picture in a week from now. Of course, we’re learning stuff each and every day too.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X