Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

While I hope you are correct I have a couple of points (I work in financial services, it seems like you are in the medical field, so I think I have subject matter knowledge here, I have had continuous access to some of this information for quite some time):
    1) Economists at ALL the big banks were pointing to this correction for the last two years, most of them were saying it would be in the last half of 2019. Some were calling late 2018 (actually it was a one year range - anytime from late 2018 to late 2019). They were wrong, but not by much. I redid all of my investments in 2018. I am not an economist, but believe me, the big 4 banks have a lot of money to spend on economists who make these kinds of projections.
    2) As a result of the President's jawboning at the Federal Reserve Chief, interest rates are artificially low. ANY policy tools the Fed could use to avert this crisis were taken away from them by the policy actions taken by the FED chair because of Trump's jawboning AND those unnecessary tax cuts he pushed through.

My opinion
    I don't think this will be a quick V shaped recession. We just ended the longest bull market in history, there were many metrics pointing to an adjustment. With the Corona virus thing, now we will have an additional hit on the economy.

We are PROBABLY going to have to print our way out of this. I hope after the elections in November are over AND the economy stabilizes, we can undo some or most of the cuts, they did not stimulate the economy and they took a tool away from the Fed Chair for this exact situation. We are going to be left with a huge deficit and it will need to be filled somehow.
    Sorry, I don't work in the health industry-- I have family members that do, and I've done consulting therein. I, too, work in the finance industry.

I agree with most all your points, however, the Fed still does a large amount of tools at their disposal--rates can still go lower, the discount window, reserve requirements, open market operations, and, alas, negative interest rates could be deployed (currently the case in parts of Europe and Japan). While I think this recession will be deeper than the last, I think the recovery will look about the same. Good post! I enjoy jawing finance with people.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

An astute retort.
      All I’m saying is you threw a big fat meatball over the center of plate, and I just let it go by.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Exactly. Not 5 days ago, he was posting on here about how all this was phoney and he was going out to eat Chinese food on Sunday b/c Rush was telling him it was phoney.
        We all knew you were stupid, but now we (certainly I) know you're a liar too. No wonder you've hidden for the last month or so and are just now coming out. We need you around for inspiration's sake.

I will say this again, for the record, because you are willfully stupid: No one doubts the severity of this Bat Flu. This issue with a lot of people, including me, is that as of right now there are 217,000 cases worldwide, including 133 deaths in America. Is that worth inducing a second great depression (you don't have to answer that).

Thank God that stupidity isn't contagious on an S-curve. Oh, wait...

pence-trump-unity-and-strength-21.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

Funny how now all of a sudden this transcends politics. But yet you had no problem taking part in making it political from the get-go. How big of a loser are you man?
          You're idiot #2 in this conversation.

Before I give you any more of my time please answer if you believe man can control the weather. If you answer yes to that then I will continue to grant you all the legitimacy your idiotic mind merits. Oh, wait, on second thought...

And yes, it is a China virus (yeah right, racist)...

Bird II.png

Blow that out your ass...

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

All I’m saying is you threw a big fat meatball over the center of plate, and I just let it go by.
            Please, I insist.

Comment

• Just in case you all haven't noticed, this topic is quickly devolving into a series of personal insults. If you all could put and end to it . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                Just in case you all haven't noticed, this topic is quickly devolving into a series of personal insults. If you all could put and end to it . . .

Agreed. I feel like there are two camps -- those of us that take this thing very seriously, and those of us that are wrong.

*sarcasm*

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Before I give you any more of my time please answer if you believe man can control the weather. If you answer yes to that then I will continue to grant you all the legitimacy your idiotic mind merits. Oh, wait, on second thought...

Bird II.png

Thanks for proving my point. Picture of flipping birds, profanity. You must be very crude. Is this the way all "church-going christians" behave? Asking for a friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Bird II.png

You only have yourself to blame. #BeBest

Comment

• Hi,
                        I want to stay out of the continuing nastiness of this thread, but I want to share some possible good news for you concerning COVID-19. Australian researchers believe they've found a potentially effective treatment for COVID-19.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ronavirus.html

Be strong everyone. Stay positive. We're all in this together so we might as well try to get along.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                          It will be interesting to see how the furloughs like this (and at Spirit) will impact basketball season ticket renewals in light of the dynamics going on with the roster.

Comment

• We're up to 9500 now...

It appears only another Great Depression, preferably before the end of March, can save us now.

Comment

• We did pass S Korea and France yesterday in confirmed cases. Being such a large country with multiple epicenters, our numbers are going to be astronomical.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Yesterday was this biggest jump by far. 2400 new cases in a single day in the US. I think we will see some large jumps like that for several days.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X