Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You don’t actually believe his 99% nonsense do you?
    Of course not. I don't believe the 30% either. I was out and about 3 times yesterday, which is 3 times more than I've been out in a month with a single AfterShocks game exception, and I saw more minorities masked up than non-minorities, best as I can recollect, but neither were anywhere near 50%.

Comment

• My wife and I had dinner with a couple that were confirmed as covid positive Thursday. She and I both have had covid and received the vaccine. Today we went to a local urgent care to be tested. We saw separate health care providers in the clinic. We were both told given our history we need not be tested. We insisted. We should have the results Tuesday. I am fairly confident we are not infected.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
        My wife and I had dinner with a couple that were confirmed as covid positive Thursday. She and I both have had covid and received the vaccine. Today we went to a local urgent care to be tested. We saw separate health care providers in the clinic. We were both told given our history we need not be tested. We insisted. We should have the results Tuesday. I am fairly confident we are not infected.
        Good luck! Keep us posted!
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Of course not. I don't believe the 30% either. I was out and about 3 times yesterday, which is 3 times more than I've been out in a month with a single AfterShocks game exception, and I saw more minorities masked up than non-minorities, best as I can recollect, but neither were anywhere near 50%.
          My wife and I had to go to a specific store in Wichita Saturday. My wife asked if we had any masks, and I said no and it doesn’t matter. I’m done with that.

2 of the 3 employees and zero of the 15 or so patrons were masked.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Clever...

Masks work, if they didn't they wouldn't be utilized in healthcare. Proper application is necessary, and the closer towards an N95 rating, the more scenarios you are protected in. Even a hand over the mouth offers some measure of protection.
            As an EMT, and former frontline worker, I can say that this is the dumbest thing you have posted in a while. Congrats.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• If you pee off a dock into the ocean you are anthropomorphically causing the sea level to rise a little bit.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

As an EMT, and former frontline worker, I can say that this is the dumbest thing you have posted in a while. Congrats.
                In light of that comment, I would say that your decision to become a convenience store associate serves your community better.

Comment

In light of that comment, I would say that your decision to become a convenience store associate serves your community better.

I see your mastery of the English language hasn’t changed.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

You don’t actually believe his 99% nonsense do you?
                    The truth hurts?

I'm likely the most honest person you know. Why would I lie?

Of course the 99% number was a joke. But I may have seen one A/A without a mask. I was actually surprised to see so many wearing one. They all were dressed up and looked to be just out of church. I appreciate their efforts.

I'm at a crossroads myself with masks. I stated on here many months ago that I was going to give it the ol' college try w/ respect to being a good citizen. But at some point, you have to just live and let live. We have the vaccine, I'm confident that Biden and Co. is giving it their best shot, the pharmaceutical companies will have a booster out soon...

I'm going to take a wait and see approach. I was very upset and surprised to see so many masks today. Not upset over their actions, upset over the fact that "here we go again". I really want this over in the worst way. We are losing parts of our lives because of it. But wishing something over and morphing into a Covidiot are two different things. :(

Comment

I'm likely the most honest person you know. Why would I lie?
                      You would have been more honest if you were bragging about being humble.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

They were used before Covid and will be used for the foreseeable future. That has nothing to do with their Covid effectiveness, as they are effective for other things.

Im not talking about N95s. I’m talking about the requisite coverings that are required. Those are ineffective. Yes, they do offer some level of decrease in viral expulsion, viral inhalation, but it is ineffective on an individual level as it doesn’t hit a high enough threshold to prevent infection.

The case for mask mandates was made relatively early in the pandemic. On 6 April 2020, the city of Jena, Germany, became one of the first communities in the world to require people to wear masks in public. Thomas Nitzsche, the town’s mayor, says he was sleepless for two nights before the policy went into effect. “I didn’t know if the public would comply,” he says. “Luckily, they did.”

Researchers estimate that new cases in the city, home to around 110,000 people, dropped by about 75% during the 20 days after the rule was brought in3.

But it wasn’t as simple as flipping a switch one day and then reaping the rewards. Evidence is building that, although a mandate can be a powerful measure, effective messaging and role models are crucial for public uptake.
                        In some studies mask mandates had a bigger effect than others. That likely has to do with the prevalence of community spread. At some point, even N95's are going to start losing their effect. This is likely why healthcare workers in Covid wards were getting infected even w/ stringent PPE protocols. At that level of viral exposure, the tiniest missteps become infections.

But early on when community spread is just beginning to accelerate, preventing one infection can be a real difference maker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          If you pee off a dock into the ocean you are anthropomorphically causing the sea level to rise a little bit.
                          that water's cold, isn't it?

Comment

• Comment

• People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

In some studies mask mandates had a bigger effect than others. That likely has to do with the prevalence of community spread. At some point, even N95's are going to start losing their effect. This is likely why healthcare workers in Covid wards were getting infected even w/ stringent PPE protocols. At that level of viral exposure, the tiniest missteps become infections.

But early on when community spread is just beginning to accelerate, preventing one infection can be a real difference maker.
                                1. All the studies that I’ve seen that shows a reduction in cases is always, “an estimate” in the number of actual cases vs a worst case scenario that didn’t play out. It’s statistical modeling, just like above. The other studies that use real world data show that sometimes the rates went down and sometimes they went up. When contrasted with a control group (no mask mandate) you also see populations where some go up and some go down. The correlation is statistically zero.

2. N95s won’t lose their efficacy. They are a physical barrier that filters out particles in the size range of C19. If it is stored and fit correctly, it will work.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X