No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I do hope everybody is taking advantage of the KN95 mask source I posted on the CB tips thread. It's only 40 bucks for 40 masks - a cheap insurance policy if the experts are not wrong about what is to come. If you wait until the numbers start spiking your source for masks will dry up and you will face what could possibly be the worst infection nightmare imaginable without a solid mask.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You didn't answer the question.
      There is a random distribution between infections and non-infections for any given set of variables that define a probability.

Your only logical course of action is to decrease your probability within reason using the available methods outlined by science. Wear an N95 mask when indoors or around outdoor crowds.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

You live in a totally different world than anybody I know. Someday I will tell you about the summer I worked for the Columbo Crime Family in New Jersey.
        Yes, it's been an interesting life and career. It's almost over, but it's been fun and interesting. I have a river of knowledge a mile wide and an inch deep.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Forgive my ignorance. My family and family friends never traveled for foreign business.

I’m guessing you’re not a defund the police kind of leftist.
          Exactly, I am a law and order kind of guy. I have been blessed, I never forget that, and I believe it is good to be compassionate to poor and honest people.

Note I have iittle sympathy for those who like to steal, loot, burn and so forth. Those folks belong in jail.

Someday I will tell you the story about how the bodyguard saved our bacon when we took a side trip from Caracas to Margarita Island. Spoiler alert.....he had a little hidden compartment where he kept his .38.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

There is a random distribution between infections and non-infections for any given set of variables that define a probability.

Your only logical course of action is to decrease your probability within reason using the available methods outlined by science. Wear an N95 mask when indoors or around outdoor crowds.
            What happens to the individual?
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

You got one part right: "It's on you."

It's on each and every one of us to control the spread until a vaccine can be distributed. It is not anybody's PERSONAL RIGHT to "go out" and "live life" normally in the middle of a pandemic, morally speaking. Each time someone gets infected they infect another person. YOUR actions affect OTHER'S lives. This is the point the right-wing dimwits cannot seem to grasp. To be fair, they're not even trying to grasp it because they are sheep.

I was upset about the report of lower-than-expected infections because there are only two ways out of this nightmare: An effective vaccine that artificially creates herd immunity, or massive infection - like nothing even close to what we've seen so far - creating old fashioned herd immunity... through millions of deaths.

I was hoping for a combination effect of natural herd immunity (the young who clearly don't give AF) and the vaccine. We've had more than 200k deaths at this point and there's no reclaiming those lives. The young have likely contributed to most of those deaths in one way or the other. If we have all those deaths, at least we could get "paid" for them with a large amount of immune-bolstered individuals walking around. I was thinking/hoping for like 70M at this point. It appears I may have been off by half... :(
              Did you know the flu is a pandemic?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Did you know the flu is a pandemic?
                We have been ritualistically infected by various Influenza strains for over a thousand years. SARS-CoV-2 is a novel virus. Do I need to define novel at this point? I suspect when Influenza was novel it killed mofo's in the millions.

SARS2 is also NOT the flu by any means. You're attempting to continue a very, very foolish argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

What happens to the individual?
                  I already answered. It's random based on the expected outcome. They either become infected or they don't.

But you can lower the expected outcome by taking preventative measures like wearing a mask, social-distancing, and just keeping your ass at home more often than before.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

They either become infected or they don't.
                      It's black and white? What happened to the coronavirus particles they ingested? They just disappeared into thin air on their own? They didn't "get" coronavirus because none of the particles they ingested were strong enough? Home come they didn't get it?

Comment

• You asked about probability and outcome from the individual's perspective; I'm telling you that it is random.

Let me explain it using an example of Gambler's Fallacy. We have a coin with 2 sides; one is heads the other tails. The probability of either is 50%. Now let's flip that coin 10x. What do you think will be the outcome? You don't know. Let's say the coin-toss resulted in heads 10x. What is the probability of the 11th flip going heads? Still 50%. So using that example with Covid: let's say you have a family of 10 and they all decide to greet each other for 5 mins. and the probability of a successful viral infection is 50%. All 10 of your relatives could get infected or all 10 of your relatives could skate by. But the probability of each one getting infected is still 50% and we know this by a sufficiently large enough sample size of data. This is in a vacuum though and the probabilities are always changing, we just hope they aren't changing too fast.

You wanna know the probability of a family of 10 all escaping infection or all becoming infected if the probability of each occurrence is 50%? 2 out of every 1,024 families will all escape or all become infected. That my friend is being lucky or unlucky.
                        Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; September 28, 2020, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Coronavirus: Global Covid-19 death toll passes one million

Comment

You asked about probability and outcome from the individual's perspective; I'm telling you that it is random.
                            No I didn't. The question had nothing to do with probability, that's the direction you took it.

Let me reframe the question: What happens when a person ingest coronavirus particles, but less than the critical mass necessary to "get" coronavirus? Why didn't they "get" coronavirus? Why don't you get sick when you ingest only one particle?

Comment

• Ate at Los Cocos last week. Wore my mask all the way to my table. Potentially saved thousands of lives right there.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Were almost up to 1100 here as of today. We have a lot of latinx's here and I think it has something to do with us having one of the highest death rates in Texas.
                                Again with the latinx. A lot of Latinas and Latinos find that offensive.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X