Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita by EB - A steakhouse rumored to be in development at 29th and Tyler

I’ve heard from a couple of sources that a new steakhouse is in development at that corner. And permits were pulled for a KVH Steakhouse for Greg Hiser who used to own Hangar One Steakhouse. According to Hangar One’s history page, Hiser’s parents’ names are Keith and Verna, which makes sense for the name KVH. If that’s the case, we are looking at a completely new local steakhouse for the area.

Things are still early, and not much is known. But I feel comfortable enough to share this one as I’m confident a steakhouse looks to be what’s coming.
    I'm not overly familiar with the area, but who could complain about a steakhouse?
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Looks like California Tortilla closed at the end of last week. I find it a bit disappointing as while I enjoy Qdoba and Chipotle, I also liked Cal Tort because they had some different options than the other two.

But it sounds like the owners of Social Tap (Braeburn Square) have taken over the lease and will be moving something in. Best guess would be the Wheatly's Burgers concept that they have on campus. However, the owners won't divulge anything official just yet.

I haven't been to Social Tap and therefore not had Wheatly's or Sungrano. Sungrano wouldn't make any sense in this new spot near 21st and Greenwich as the location is right next to Oak & Pie. I suppose they could have a new idea/concept to try out there.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I tried Oak and Pie for the first time this weekend. The pizza was phenomenal. The service was good also.
        Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• I don't think I've heard anyone say anything bad about Oak & Pie. I haven't been there in years, but it was very good. I have a friend from out of town that when her and her family come back to the Wichita area, they always try to hit it.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• WBJ - TripAdvisor's top 10-rated restaurants in Wichita

Wichita's dining scene continues to grow more robust and more delicious each year.

But what has remained relatively consistent over the years is TripAdvisor's top-rated restaurants across the city.

Local favorites like Sabor Latin Bar & Grill and Doo-Dah Diner tend to make regular appearances, along with national and regional brands such as Texas Roadhouse and Redrock Canyon Grill.

I think we'd all agree, TripAdvisor reviews are hardly the end-all-be-all when it comes to deciding Wichita's best restaurants.

But at least according to these reviewers, these are the restaurants with the highest standings.
            I haven't experienced many of these, but based on what I have and what I've heard about the others it seems to be a respectable list all things considered. I won't post the details of each since WBJ is subscription based, but I will list out the restaurants.

1 - Sabor Latin Bar & Grill
            2 - Redrock Canyon Grill
            3 - Doo-Dah Diner
            4 - Kobe Steak House of Japan
            5 - Bite Me BBQ
            6 - Texas Roadhouse
            7 - Whiskey Dicks
            8 - Newport Grill
            9 - Ziggys Pizza East
            10 - Cafe Bel Ami
            11 - El Mexico Cafe
            12 - River City Brewery
            13 - Old Mill Tasty Shop
            14 - Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant
            15 - George's French Bistro
            16 - Dempsey's Burger Pub
            17 - Larkspur Bistro & Bar
            18 - Mediterranean Grill
            19 - Chester's Chophouse and Wine Bar
            20 - Bella Vita

Thoughts?
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              WBJ - TripAdvisor's top 10-rated restaurants in Wichita

I haven't experienced many of these, but based on what I have and what I've heard about the others it seems to be a respectable list all things considered. I won't post the details of each since WBJ is subscription based, but I will list out the restaurants.

1 - Sabor Latin Bar & Grill
              2 - Redrock Canyon Grill
              3 - Doo-Dah Diner
              4 - Kobe Steak House of Japan
              5 - Bite Me BBQ
              6 - Texas Roadhouse
              7 - Whiskey Dicks
              8 - Newport Grill
              9 - Ziggys Pizza East
              10 - Cafe Bel Ami
              11 - El Mexico Cafe
              12 - River City Brewery
              13 - Old Mill Tasty Shop
              14 - Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant
              15 - George's French Bistro
              16 - Dempsey's Burger Pub
              17 - Larkspur Bistro & Bar
              18 - Mediterranean Grill
              19 - Chester's Chophouse and Wine Bar
              20 - Bella Vita

Thoughts?
              Bella Vita and George's should be higher.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Redrock is really, really solid, but it doesn't stand out enough to warrant the #2 spot in my mind. Very good food, consistently excellent service and presentation, but not unique.

Comment

• My wife and I stopped by the new Sesame Mediterranean Kitchen restaurant in Braeburn Square following the Shocks volleyball sweep over Tulsa Saturday evening. It was quite good and i would recommend giving it a try if you like Mediterranean fare (which I do).

I had Mixed Grill Kabobs (Chicken, Beef Tenderloin and Lamb) served over rice with a side of humus and tabouli. My wife had a Mediterranen Chicken pizza that came with a small fatoush salad. I don't always like tabouli that much but their tabouli was quite good. I also enjoyed their humus which was a little lighter and creamier than most restaurants offer.

Comment

• MSN - The best Tex-Mex restaurant in Wichita. Plus, see the rest of the top 7, according to Yelp reviewers.

Have you ever been in your kitchen, trying to decide what to make, and you're baffled? You open the fridge, and there's just a mish-mash of ingredients that on the surface, perhaps don't feel like they belong together—until you open the fridge for the fourth time and realize the contents aren't changing, so you make them work? That moment? That moment is what Tex-Mex cuisine is—but in the best way possible. It's a delicious mish-mash of cultural influences that came together in a melting pot of flavors that make you feel like you're experiencing something that feels familiar but for the first time.

Tex-Mex, as the cuisine is affectionately coined in the Southwest, is the by-product of what happened when traditional Mexican cuisine combines with things that weren't normally available in the land borders renamed Mexico; more cuts of red meat, cheeses, and far milder chiles that provide more smoke than heat. It found its way into the hearts of the Southwest, eventually spreading around the rest of America.

With that kind of reach, where do you begin when it comes to finding that perfect Tex-Mex dish to make your palate dance? Who has managed to create that just-right blend of smoky spice and cheesy goodness that you've come to know and love of Tex-Mex food?

Stacker did a little of the heavy lifting for you and combed through data on Yelp to put together a comprehensive list of the highest-rated Tex-Mex restaurants in Wichita. We looked at how many reviews and their average ratings to make sure your guide to Wichita cuisine is ready. Take a look to see where your new favorite restaurant will be! Note, some of these may have recently closed, so make sure to double-check.
                    7 - Chili's (E. Central)
                    6 - On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina (N. Rock)
                    5 - Fuzzy's Taco Shop (E. 21st)
                    4 - Fuzzy's Taco Shop (N. Rock)
                    3 - Playa Azul (N. Washington)
                    2 - Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant (S. Ridge)
                    1 - Los Cabos (W. 13th)

Thoughts?

Certainly we have better Tex-Mex than these.

Not sure I've ever ordered it from Chili's.
                    On The Border is just okay.
                    Fuzzy's isn't anything special.
                    I haven't been to that Playa Azul, but the one I have been to sucked.
                    Never been big on Abuelo's, but it's okay I guess.
                    Never been to Los Cabos, but I'm not often eating out west.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      MSN - The best Tex-Mex restaurant in Wichita. Plus, see the rest of the top 7, according to Yelp reviewers.

7 - Chili's (E. Central)
                      6 - On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina (N. Rock)
                      5 - Fuzzy's Taco Shop (E. 21st)
                      4 - Fuzzy's Taco Shop (N. Rock)
                      3 - Playa Azul (N. Washington)
                      2 - Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant (S. Ridge)
                      1 - Los Cabos (W. 13th)

Thoughts?

Certainly we have better Tex-Mex than these.

Not sure I've ever ordered it from Chili's.
                      On The Border is just okay.
                      Fuzzy's isn't anything special.
                      I haven't been to that Playa Azul, but the one I have been to sucked.
                      Never been big on Abuelo's, but it's okay I guess.
                      Never been to Los Cabos, but I'm not often eating out west.
                      Fuzzy's got 2 spots by being at one location...21st and Rock. And did so well that they closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Fuzzy's got 2 spots by being at one location...21st and Rock. And did so well that they closed.
                        You’re thinking of Torchy’s. Fuzzy’s is near Central and Rock and on campus at Braeburn Square.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post

You’re thinking of Torchy’s. Fuzzy’s is near Central and Rock and on campus at Braeburn Square.
                          Went to Torchy’s once on Ridge Road and once was enough. I like the concept, but the food left me with a ‘burning ring of fire’…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Went to Torchy’s once on Ridge Road and once was enough. I like the concept, but the food left me with a ‘burning ring of fire’…
                            I dare not ask more....

Comment

• Probably more Mex than Tex-Mex, but Molino's downtown is really good.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Another restaurant down.

KSN - Popular Wichita health food restaurant appears to permanently close

A popular Wichita health food restaurant appears to have announced it is permanently closing.

The Lotus Leaf Cafe, located at 251 N. Washington in Old Town, posted the following on its website:

Dear valued customers and friends,

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closure of Lotus Leafe Cafe in Wichita, KS. Over the past several years, it has been our pleasure and privilege to serve this wonderful community. Your support, patronage, and warm smiles have been the heart and soul of our restaurant.

The decision to close has not been an easy one, and it’s primarily due to the economic challenges that we, like many businesses, have faced. We want to express our deepest gratitude to all of you for being a part of our journey.

Lotus Leafe Cafe has been more than just a restaurant; it has been a place where memories were created, friendships were formed, and delicious food was shared. We will cherish these moments and the connections we’ve made forever.

As we say goodbye, we want to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your unwavering support. Our community has been the driving force behind Lotus Leafe Cafe, and we will always remember the smiles, laughter, and good times we’ve had together.

Though our doors may be closing, the memories and the love that you’ve shown us will live on. We hope to see you again in the future. Until then, take care, stay safe, and keep enjoying the wonderful flavors of life.

Lotus Leaf Cafe
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X