No announcement yet.

Official Foodie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The small businessman. I wish them all the success in their future endeavors.

Comment

• Wichita by EB - Sneak Peek at Red Bird: Sandwich Company

The newest sandwich shop in Wichita is set to open before the end of the month at Normandie Center. The much-anticipated Red Bird is finally done after a year plus of planning and construction. The restaurant at 6440 E. Central specializes in sandwiches, soups, salads, craft beers and cocktails.
      Eddy seems to be a fan already and had a lot of good things to say about what he had. He has pictures of the menu should you be interested.

I'm somewhat intrigued.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        My wife and I stopped by the new Sesame Mediterranean Kitchen restaurant in Braeburn Square following the Shocks volleyball sweep over Tulsa Saturday evening. It was quite good and i would recommend giving it a try if you like Mediterranean fare (which I do).

I had Mixed Grill Kabobs (Chicken, Beef Tenderloin and Lamb) served over rice with a side of humus and tabouli. My wife had a Mediterranen Chicken pizza that came with a small fatoush salad. I don't always like tabouli that much but their tabouli was quite good. I also enjoyed their humus which was a little lighter and creamier than most restaurants offer.
        My wife and I have now ate at this relatively new restaurant in Braeburn square a few times. We both give it a thumps up. Nice place to head to for a pre-game meal (if you like this kind of fare). Or a post-game meal if a mid-day game is involved. They close at 8 pm (3 pm on Sundays).

I did not realize they also have a location in New Market Square on the West Side. Here is a Wichita Eagle review of the West side location when it opened in 2021.

https://www.wichitabyeb.com/2021/04/...n-kitchen.html

Per the Eagle review:

As far as fast casual Mediterranean restaurants in town go, this might be the best one yet.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 6, 2023, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• KWCH - Doo-Dah diner co-owner Patrick Shibley announces cancer diagnosis

In a video posted to YouTube this week, Doo-Dah Diner co-owners Timirie and Patrick Shibley revealed Patrick’s diagnosis of Stage 4 metastatic prostate cancer. Shibley will begin chemotherapy within the next couple weeks, and the Shibleys say the prognosis is positive.

“As crazy as that sounds to be Stage 4 metastatic,” Timirie Shibley said in the video. “Even though it’s the aggressive type, prostate cancer is still a little slow.

Timirie said the best way to support them is to visit the diner.

“Patrick lives on humor and laughter,” she said. And belly laughter especially. So we’re all good with, like, sick cancer humor or whatever you want to do.”
          There's a video in the link.

The Shibley's have been a blessing to Wichita and Doo-Dah is fantastic. My prayers go out to them and I hope treatment goes well and we have Patrick for many more years.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Have any of you been to any of these listed below? Are there any other new places you'd recommend?

Wichita by EB - My Top Five New Wichita Restaurants of 2023

Over the past year, I’ve visited roughly 100 new restaurants, food trucks and popups. I thought about making a top twenty list, but then realized I just didn’t have the time to make a top twenty list. So I’m settling on a top five list.

If you love dining out and trying new things, this is a must-read for you. The beauty of this list is it’s not some lazy effort put together from Yelp data or gathered from googling names of places by someone who hasn’t stepped foot in most of the places they write about. Every one you see listed, I took the time (and money) to visit. Enjoy.
            You can read his comments on each in the article. But the five he mentions are:

Lotte (320 S. Market)

La Jarochita (511 W. 21st St)

Nas Kitchen (1920 W. 21st St)

Mango Tree (111 E. 47th St. S)

The Bistro (124 S. Broadway)

He also has an honorable mention list that includes Forge ICT, Crispy Donuts, El Gusto ICT, Mirai Ramen & Sushi, Waffles N Stuff, Chuck's Hot Chicken, Sugar Llamas, Appetite 316, Daikon Cafe, Thai Table Restaurant, Flavours of India on Wheels, Two Hands Corn Dogs, Nacho Mama's, Las Adelitas, Burdette's Bierocks, UMI Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi, Red Bird, Astoria Biryani House, iTzcali Tapas and Tequila, Rajwadi Pointe, and Solly & Jude's.

I apparently don't keep up with Eddy as well as I should. While I've heard and read about his top five, there are ten in his HM list that I don't think I'm the least bit familiar with.

I need to get out more.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - A new upscale Wichita restaurant starts its reservation-only 'soft opening' period today

For nearly two years, the luxurious restaurant space at 2146 N. Collective Lane has sat empty and dark.

But that changes today.

The new tenant for the Lola’s Bistro space in Soho Plaza near 21st and Greenwich — a Peruvian restaurant called Lima Nation Peruvian Kitchen — will start its “soft opening” on Wednesday. The restaurant’s co-owner, Karo Barreda, said that Lima Nation will now accept customers via reservation only from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 5 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays.

Those who want to make reservations can do so at limanation.com or via the restaurant’s Google Business profile, found by searching “Lima Nation Peruvian Kitchen” on Google.

Barreda’s chef husband, Carlos, will lead the kitchen and will be serving his take on Peruvian cuisine: He trained at the Le Cordon Bleu culinary school in Lima, Peru, and has been cooking and managing restaurants for more than 25 years.

The couple own other restaurants in Nicaragua and Honduras, but Lima Nation will be their first business in the United States.
              I'm guessing this is in a space east of K-96 along 21st street. Having a tough time picturing it at the moment.

Sounds like the reservation only thing is as they get going and it will be opened up to walk-in business eventually.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Eagle - Wichita's longest-running Cajun restaurant is closing, but not before one more Mardi Gras

Da Cajun Shak is about to celebrate its final Mardi Gras.

Patty Granger, a native of Louisiana who has been sharing her family’s Cajun recipes with Wichita since 2005, said on Monday that she’s decided to retire and will close her 19-year-old restaurant Da Cajun Shak on March 30.

But first, she said, she has one more Fat Tuesday in her. She’ll decorate the restaurant at 6249 E. 21st St. for Mardi Gras, she said, and on Feb. 13, she’ll do as she’s always done and serve traditional King Cake to her customers along with Cajun favorites.

“It’s such a bittersweet thing about closing, but there was nobody I wanted to sell it to,” Granger said. “This was our baby. I know what people would do with it, and I don’t want that. I want it to be what we built.”
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Morningstar - Freddy's launches new Kids Meals featuring mascot FredHead and Friends

Freddy's Kids Meals come complete with a delicious selection of kid-friendly options: Single Cheeseburger, Hot Dog, or Chicken Tenders, with a side choice of shoestring fries or applesauce. Now available are expanded beverage offerings such as individually packaged 1% Milk, 1% Chocolate Milk and Apple Juice. Each meal is coupled with high-quality, interactive toys, including stickers, games, two-sided puzzles and board books. Kids Sweet Treats are also a new addition to Freddy's Kids Menu. OREO® custard cookies are available for $1.99 when purchased with a Kids Meal, or guests can opt for a Mini Create-Your-Own Sundae or Mini Dirt 'N Worms made with freshly churned vanilla frozen custard.

"Our team at Freddy's believes in creating an enjoyable dining experience for families, and our new Kids Meals exemplify that commitment," said Laura Rueckel, CMO. "Designed to make every dining experience an entertaining and memorable adventure for our youngest guests, FredHead, along with his crew Sundae and the four-legged Hotdog, represent kindness and having fun with friends and family. We are delighted to introduce the world of FredHead and his friends through our craveable meals and fun-filled toys."
                  I don't have kids but I know how big a deal Happy Meal's have always been. I hope this works out well for Freddy's and am curious on if this changes anything for any of you that might have younger children around.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    Morningstar - Freddy's launches new Kids Meals featuring mascot FredHead and Friends

I don't have kids but I know how big a deal Happy Meal's have always been. I hope this works out well for Freddy's and am curious on if this changes anything for any of you that might have younger children around.
                    They missed the boat, should have been Fred and Ron Head Happy Meal's...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Another Drew Brees backed restaurant is coming to town.

WBJ - Cheeseburger chain with a unique real-estate footprint plans Wichita arrival

A local family is bringing a fast-growing quick-service restaurant franchise to the Wichita market.

Atlanta-based Smalls Sliders, a brand featuring cheeseburger sliders and unique modular buildings, announced it signed a five-unit development agreement with Slidin’ Thru ICT, which is owned and operated by Jim and Teresa Sorlie and their son, Colton.

The Sorlies plan to open their first location in Wichita as soon as the end of this year, along with two more local restaurants — which the brand calls "cans," tied to its use of shipping containers. The agreement also covers a planned location in Manhattan and one in Salina.
                      Can you have too many burger options?

In addition to sliders, Smalls Sliders offers a straightforward menu that includes milkshakes and waffle fries.

Each location has a 750 square-foot, pre-fabricated modular building, a drive-through, walk-up window and patio. There is no interior seating.

"It is a streamlined kind of operation, especially with that intentionally limited menu," Colton Sorlie said. "It allows you to provide a consistent, high-quality product in a timely manner, at a reasonable price. So that was really attractive to us, ... that simplicity of the menu and executing that at a high level."

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Interesting concept. $6.50 for a combo (burger, fries, drink) is probably reasonable, although it's got to be similar or smaller than say a McDouble (and that's only a single).

2 doubles (Biggie Smalls...great name btw) fries and coke, a size I'm thinking for most men, is $11.19. Reasonable? Borderline.

IF it's executed well, and the burger is good and fries hot and staff solid (that's a test these days) then I imagine they have a cash cow. But if it's a new White Castle, those shipping containers will be farmed out fairly quickly.

Pricing is so out of control these days, if it's not very good to great, I just don't see how you'll get repeat business.

Fat Burger basic with cheese is $15. If you get an average burger, warm fries and warm water....just why?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          Interesting concept. $6.50 for a combo (burger, fries, drink) is probably reasonable, although it's got to be similar or smaller than say a McDouble (and that's only a single).

2 doubles (Biggie Smalls...great name btw) fries and coke, a size I'm thinking for most men, is $11.19. Reasonable? Borderline.

IF it's executed well, and the burger is good and fries hot and staff solid (that's a test these days) then I imagine they have a cash cow. But if it's a new White Castle, those shipping containers will be farmed out fairly quickly.

Pricing is so out of control these days, if it's not very good to great, I just don't see how you'll get repeat business.

Fat Burger basic with cheese is $15. If you get an average burger, warm fries and warm water....just why?
                          Doc and me driving home from Indy in 2017.

Me, seeing a White Castle: I’ve never eaten there, but a friend strongly suggested that I don’t.

Doc: Sure, go there if you want a colon cleansing.

78-65

Comment

• No need for the White Castle hate guys. As long as it’s done in moderation.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Gotta pay for those $15 wages.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Doc and me driving home from Indy in 2017.

Me, seeing a White Castle: I’ve never eaten there, but a friend strongly suggested that I don’t.

Doc: Sure, go there if you want a colon cleansing.
                                I always liked the WC sliders, but they’re not quite as tasty as the Cozy sliders in Salina. They all slide in, and slide out.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X