2021 NCAA SB Regionals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

For fairness, the NCAA likes to keep things as equal as possible. I'm guessing A&M has been the visiting team more than WSU has so they get the home nod. Or if they both had the same amount of visitor designations, then it goes to a coin flip.

If WSU wins, they'll be the home team in the first game tomorrow because OU has been the home team twice, while WSU once.
    They have a formula of sorts - I will see if I can find it again. The first time we played A&M we were Home, so we become Visitors for this one. Similarly, we will be Home for the first game Sunday, since we were Visitors the first time we played the Sooners.

Or maybe the formula was for six-team Regionals that D-II uses - I forget.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; May 23, 2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

They have a formula of sorts - I will see if I can find it again. The first time we played A&M we were Home, so we become Visitors for this one. Similarly, we will be Home for the first game Sunday, since we were Visitors the first time we played the Sooners.

Or maybe the formula was for six-team Regionals that D-II uses - I forget.
      I thought that the formula was an easy one for NCAA Tournaments, and really all tournaments. The top line is the higher seed and therefore is the home team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I thought that the formula was an easy one for NCAA Tournaments, and really all tournaments. The top line is the higher seed and therefore is the home team.
        Seems logical, but it doesn’t work that way.

It’s probably here, but I don’t have time to read it now; might be page 30...

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...ampsManual.pdf
        Last edited by WstateU; May 23, 2021, 09:16 AM.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

We were the higher seed last night and were the visitors.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Maybe we can stun them by starting Martinez
            I don't know if that would stun OU, but it would certainly stun me. That said I think Hailey has been a terrific teammate which in softball, in particular is important. The energy expended from the dugout in softball is pretty impressive. However, if OU gets out to a huge lead I wouldn't mind letting Hailey pitch to a few batters just to let her have the experience. On the other hand, if that is the situation, that might be considered abuse. Hopefully, the Shocks will pick up against OU where they left on Saturday and can stay in the game until the end.

Comment

• I noticed that on the bases loaded ground ball by Neleigh in the 6th where Addison was called out for interference that Neleigh was credited with a single. I would have thought a fielder's choice would have been the correct scoring but perhaps that is scored that way by rule. flyingMoose do you have any insights on that. Not a big deal one way or the other. Just curious.

Comment

• FYI there are some interesting college softball discussions about the regionals on this board:

Last edited by shoxlax; May 23, 2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• I’m not so sure Alabama isn’t a smart choice to go deep in the tournament with the media darling Montana Fouts pitching like she is.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I noticed that on the bases loaded ground ball by Neleigh in the 6th where Addison was called out for interference that Neleigh was credited with a single. I would have thought a fielder's choice would have been the correct scoring but perhaps that is scored that way by rule. flyingMoose do you have any insights on that. Not a big deal one way or the other. Just curious.
                    From The Official NCAA Baseball and Softball Scorebook-

BASE HIT
                    SECTION 4. A base hit is credited when a batter advances to first base safely:
                    b. Because a runner is declared out for being hit by a batted ball as in 8-5-k ...;

I did not see the play, but is that it? I think depriving the fielder of the opportunity to field the ball would be the same. Yes, I find it strange that a hit is credited when an Out would have been recorded without the Interference. Not a fun way to lose a no-hitter, for sure.
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; May 23, 2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

From The Official NCAA Baseball and Softball Scorebook-

BASE HIT
                      SECTION 4. A base hit is credited when a batter advances to first base safely:
                      b. Because a runner is declared out for being hit by a batted ball as in 8-5-k ...;

I did not see the play, but is that it? I think depriving the fielder of the opportunity to field the ball would be the same. Yes, I find it strange that a hit is credited when an Out would have been recorded without the Interference. Not a fun way to lose a no-hitter, for sure.
                      It is not exactly on point. The shortstop had fielded the ball cleanly and was ready to throw home for a force out. Addison swerved in front of the shortstop and ducked down little bit. This caused the shortstop to double clutch but no contact between Addison and the shortstop was made as far as i could tell. In fact, the shortstop did complete the throw to the plate after double cluthing and the throw did in fact beat the runner for a force out. But I guess by that time the ump had already declared a dead ball.

So the result of the call basically was same as if she had been hit by a batted ball and the result is also the same as if no call had been made. An additional out and the bases still loaded. But maybe this rule, while not exactly on point is the closest thing covered. I was just surprised to see Neleigh 4-4 in the box score.

That A&M game on Saturday night just seemed to have a lot of strangeness to it, including Bailey Lange carching a pop up just about right on top of home plate to end the 6th inning. Not sure if that ball was foul or fair and not sure if Butters just did not locate in time to get under it or what happened with her but that was a heads up play by Bailey. If Bailey had just stayed in the circle spectating that could have been a disaster. Bailey had just walked in 1 run and the bases were loaded. Had that dropped at best the batter would have gotten a second chance if the ball was foul or could have scored a run or two if fair. You just have no idea how a spinning ball like that if fair.

BTW, some following may not realize that Bailey used to be a two-way player both pitching and playing right field so she has the instincts and the skill to make this play. However, Bailey hasn't played two-way since she broke her ankle on the base paths. Not sure Caitlyn or Erim would have made this play although Caitlyn is a good athlete.

In any case, I think that catch by Bailey was more signficant than most realize.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 23, 2021, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Looks like Georgia has eliminated 13 seed Duke 10-9 to advance to the Super Regional. Georgia did have the advantage of playing at home despite Duke seeded team in the regional. Apparently, that is because Duke currently does not allow fans into the games due to Covid restrictions.

James Madison moves into the super regionals with an 8-5 win over Liberty.

#14 Kentucky beats Notre Dame 7-0 to force a second championship game.

#4 Florida eliminates South Florida 8-0. Georgina Corrick did start for USF and was trailing 2-0 after 6 innings. After giving up a lead off single in the top of the 7th USF went to their bullpen. Florida made them pay scoring 6 runs to put the game away.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 23, 2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Bailey Lange (2.83 ERA, 1.16 WHIP) will start in the circle for the Shocks. 5-11 sophomore Olivia Rains (0.00 ERA, 076 WHIP but with only 17.1 inning pitched this season) starting for OU.

Rains does have 20 strikeouts in those 17.1 innings but that was mostly against the softer portion of OU's schedule. Only 3.1 innings in Big 12 play. Her longest outing has been 2 innings.
                          https://soonersports.com/sports/soft...ia-rains/14327 Cliick on Stats and then scroll down to see game by game pitching stats.

Shocks are the home team.

Game is on ESPN.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 23, 2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Is it too much to ask for us to grab a huge lead early and rest Lange for Game 2?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                              Is it too much to ask for us to grab a huge lead early and rest Lange for Game 2?
                              Not too much to ask, Too much to expect? Perhaps.

Comment

• Not that I’m looking ahead due to pessimism, but I am genuinely curious as to who we have signed for next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X