Shocker Women Recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
    If you watched the games closely you could see Dana was telling Jody who to put in.
    This is at least the second time you have made this statement, but I wonder. Is it possible that it is her responsibility to track how many minutes it has been since a player has been subbed out and notifies JA? Or that certain opposition lineups are on the court and that we want a pre-determined lineup on the court to take advantage of the match-ups? Or ...? I obviously don't know. I just think there are other reasonable interpretations.

Not that I think Dana was a wise hire. We hired a head coach in softball once that came from a program that was in revolt because of her abusive coaching and many of us know how that worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      I find it real interesting that I have seem to open up a pandora's box with my question about Dana. I thought about asking the same question back when she was hired, held off, and then when no one else seemed to mind, I kept my mouth shut as my knowledge about the women's basketball program is lacking compared to most who post here. Maybe I just missed reading those posts if they were there. Nevertheless, I agree, I thought this was not only a strange hire given her problems in the past, but also a potentially awkward for Jody and especially for the other assistants. And for what it's worth, surprised ADES didn't strongly recommend Jody look elsewhere for a DOBO/assistant.
      @ShockTalk:, I started a separate thread on this at the time she was hired last September:

But you are correct in that there seemed to be very little interest in the subject as there was only one response posted on that thread and it has been pretty much a non-issue until now.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
        This is at least the second time you have made this statement, but I wonder. Is it possible that it is her responsibility to track how many minutes it has been since a player has been subbed out and notifies JA? Or that certain opposition lineups are on the court and that we want a pre-determined lineup on the court to take advantage of the match-ups? Or ...? I obviously don't know. I just think there are other reasonable interpretations.

Not that I think Dana was a wise hire. We hired a head coach in softball once that came from a program that was in revolt because of her abusive coaching and many of us know how that worked out.
        Having coached for many years, this is the role of an assistant coach, not the director of basketball operations. DOBOs make sure you have your flights, hotel, gear, meals, stats, web page up to date, etc. Assistant coaches take care of minutes, fouls, and coach in practice. Hopefully this improves.

Comment

And for what it's worth, surprised ADES didn't strongly recommend Jody look elsewhere for a DOBO/assistant.
          Not sure I would put this totally at the feet of ADES although the buck ultimately stops with him.

Becky Endicott is Senior Associate Athletic Director and the Senior Women's Administrator and I believe is Jody's immediate superior in the Athletic Department. Becky, of course, reports to ADES. I assume ADES has to ultimately sign off on each hiring, hower, I would think that Becky was or should have been more actively involved in this and any other hiring on the Women's side of the ledger.

At this point we may or may not have an issue and maybe this will all work out for the best in the long run. But for now there is enough smoke to have everyone on edge about the possiblity of a firestorm being ignited.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 7, 2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
            Having coached for many years, this is the role of an assistant coach, not the director of basketball operations. DOBOs make sure you have your flights, hotel, gear, meals, stats, web page up to date, etc. Assistant coaches take care of minutes, fouls, and coach in practice. Hopefully this improves.
            Got it. I now recall the recent article in the paper about Barry Hinson on the KU staff.

Comment

Any news on what girls they are looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Not sure I would put this totally at the feet of ADES although the buck ultimately stops with him.

Becky Endicott is Senior Associate Athletic Director and the Senior Women's Administrator and I believe is Jody's immediate superior in the Athletic Department. Becky, of course, reports to ADES. I assume ADES has to ultimately sign off on each hiring, hower, I would think that Becky was or should have been more actively involved in this and any other hiring on the Women's side of the ledger.

At this point we may or may not have an issue and maybe this will all work out for the best in the long run. But for now there is enough smoke to have everyone on edge about the possiblity of a firestorm being ignited.
                Whether we may or may not have an issue with the hire of Eikenberg now is irrelivant in my book. It has to do with it being a reasonable one then. Doesn't matter if you believed all that was reported about the situation at SIU, there was still strong tensions. It was also reported, more than once, that assistant Jody was the buffer for the players and that no player had issue with her.

Now, we have Jody the head coach of a same level of program that Dana was a head coach of. The former assistant hires her former boss at what is considered an entry level position and a position that should be subordinate to the other assistants. Add to this that each assistant and each player probably knew, or found out, about what went on at SIU. Former head coach Barry Hinson of Missouri St becoming a dobo at KU is a totally different situation than what took place here. IMHO, and straight from my armchair, this is a situation that has a poor likelihood of success and one that could easily breed tensions among the staff and players. Yes, it could be a successful situation, and still may. However, the odds would appear to be against those chances. Just too many potential problems to make this a sound hire from the very beginning.

Comment

Whether we may or may not have an issue with the hire of Eikenberg now is irrelivant in my book. It has to do with it being a reasonable one then. Doesn't matter if you believed all that was reported about the situation at SIU, there was still strong tensions. It was also reported, more than once, that assistant Jody was the buffer for the players and that no player had issue with her.

Now, we have Jody the head coach of a same level of program that Dana was a head coach of. The former assistant hires her former boss at what is considered an entry level position and a position that should be subordinate to the other assistants. Add to this that each assistant and each player probably knew, or found out, about what went on at SIU. Former head coach Barry Hinson of Missouri St becoming a dobo at KU is a totally different situation than what took place here. IMHO, and straight from my armchair, this is a situation that has a poor likelihood of success and one that could easily breed tensions among the staff and players. Yes, it could be a successful situation, and still may. However, the odds would appear to be against those chances. Just too many potential problems to make this a sound hire from the very beginning.
                  Well said. Happy Easter to all.

Comment

Wonder what will be different goin in to next season,want the ladies to have their best season. So I hope all is well on the recruting front.....

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                      Wonder what will be different goin in to next season,want the ladies to have their best season. So I hope all is well on the recruting front.....
                      Haven't seen any Spring signings. Maybe 12 players if enough.

Comment

Signing period just began today. So it may be a little early for that comment
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Really excited to see wat positions get filled and how coach prepares for next season

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                            Really excited to see wat positions get filled and how coach prepares for next season
                            We had a good point guard with lots of potential in Crystal, so I suspect Jody will look for a point. Jessie isn't a true point. Every team in the country wants a tall wide body 5, so I suspect that will be tough.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Signing period just began today. So it may be a little early for that comment
                              And it runs through May 16th.

Comment

I wasn't sure how far it went. I did know that spring was a long one.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X