No announcement yet.

2017-18 WBB American Athletic Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the loss to Cincy the Shocks fall to 5-6 in AAC play with UConn waiting for them on Saturday. After that game the Shocks will be 5-7 with 4 to play (2 at home and 2 on the road). They will need to win 3 of those to finish at 0.500 in conference play.

Comment

Even if the record is not what we like it to be, I feel optimistic about the Lady Shockers' future and believe the program is heading in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
        Even if the record is not what we like it to be, I feel optimistic about the Lady Shockers' future and believe the program is heading in the right direction.
        There have certainly been things to like here in HCKA's first season and reason to have hope. However, I think we have to be prepared for the team to take a step backwards for a couple of years before we move forward.

We will only have 3 players coming back next year who will have any D-1 experience and none of those players appear to be program changers. Those players will be:

6-2 Sr. Sabrina Lozada Cabbage 7.0 PPG, 4.8 RPG so far in this season.
        6-0 Sr. Cesaria Ambrosio 4.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 3.0 APG vs 2.2 TPG so far this season
        6-2 So. Alyssia Faye 1.7 PPG, 1.8 RPG and averages 3.8 turnovers per 40 minuites.

I did not list Fanny Hakanson as the freshman has only played in 43 minutes this year scoring 4 points and turning the ball over 9 times. I just don't know if Fanny has the physical tools needed to play at this level.

These players will have a combined 5 years of D-1 expereince going into next year with Alyssia playing about 10 minutes a game this year.

So we will be replacing 8 seniors, 79% of our scoring and 72% of our rebounding with a very inexperienced team next year.

I see Sabrina has a hard-working, reliablie post player but not one that is a foundational player. Cesaria is an interesting player who I think has improved quite a bit in her first year of D-1 ball but she has a past first mentality (perhaps to the extreme) and even though she seems to have a nice shot and decent offensive skills she simply defers to her senior teammates. Perahaps that will change when she is the 2nd most experienced player on the team next year. Alyssia looks like she has a decent shooting touch but she plays pretty soft for her size and doesn't look to be overly athletic. Her defense needs a lot of work.

We have several players on the roster this year who did not play this year (redshirted). 6-1 Jr. Forward Raven Prince transferred from Butler County but has not played. Not sure what the story is with her. Perhaps HCKA did not see much PT for her and suggested a redshirt year. Raven is on the slender side and perhaps needed to work on her strength. Perhaps an injury played a part. Maybe HCKA decided Raven would be more valuable to her the next two years than she would be this year and next year.

6-1 So. Khady Sene, a late roster addiition from Senegal. Another slender player who I'm not sure what she brings to the table. From what little I saw of her at Shocker Madness and in pre-game warm ups she doesn't look like a game changer to me.

6-3 Fr. F/C Asia Henderson is interesting I suppose mostly for her size. Physically, she resembles a little bigger version of 6-1 Rangie Bessard. Unfortunately, her skill set is far short of what Rangie's have been. Again hard to say what she will bring to the table but looks like your typical project big.

The 2018 recruiting class (so far) looks decent on paper but you just never know what you are getting for sure or how the players will make the transition to D-1 ball.

Shyia Smith - Idabel, OK - 6-0 Power Forward
        Maya Brewer - North Kansas City, MO - 5-11 G/F by way of State Fair Community College, Sedalia, MO
        Trajata Colbert - Rochelle, GA - 6-2 PF/C
        Carla Bremaud - 5-11 SG out of France
        Jaida Hamption - Lansing, MI - 6-0 G/F
        Jaida Peacock - Allen TX - 5-9 G

One thing I do like about this recruiting class is that, assuming the listed heights are accurate, we are adding some size at the guard position. Our departing senior guards and wings go 5-2, 5-5, 5-5, 5-7, 5-8 and 5-9. Looks like we have 5-9, 5-11. 5-11, and 6-0 coming in to go along with 6-0 Senior-to-be Cesaria Ambrosio. I thought our lack of size with our guards was an issue at times especially on defense where bigger guards could take advantage of the size mismatch plus a smalller guard will need more room to get their shots off. Of couse, taller is not always better but it can be if all other things are equal.

It will be interesting to see how next year goes but my expectations at this point are very subdued. In fact, I'm thinking a 12th place finish in the AAC is certainly a possibility.

However, add a couple more comparable recruiting classes to this, get your classes more balanced out, and I think the Shocks can begin making some noise again. I'm thinking 2018-19 and 2019-20 are growth and development years. 2020-21 will be the year the Shocks make a strong move. Could happen a year earlier I suppose if we get an oustanding 2019 recruiting class but I'm prepared to wait this out a couple of years.

Hopefully, we get the class sizes somewhat balanced out to be able to sustain the program at a consistent level and avoid the boom or bust cycles although that is going to happen from time to time especially if you miss on a recruiting class or two or injuries disrupt plans.

If everyone comes back next year and all recruits show up next years roster will have 2 Seniors, 2 Juniors, 3 Sophomores and 6 Freshman. Of course, this could easily change between now and the start of the 2018 fall semester.

I am not 100% sure what class our 2nd French recruit, Carla Bremaud, will be in but I am assuming she will be a Freshman. I did find a Hudl page indicating Carla is attending Life Prep Academy in Wichita this year. That page has a 12 second video of Carla knocking down a couple of 22 footers and she has a nice looking stroke. Perimeter shooting is an area the Shockers badly need help.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 9, 2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

UConn Saturday is here. This could get pretty ugly but all the Shocks can do is play their hardest and accept the challenge for what it is.

USF is the 2nd place team in the AAC. They are 9-2. There only losses are to UConn and to Wichita State. That is about the best spin I can put on it. After that things start to breakdown.

The Shocks upset USF at Koch Arena 64-56 (an may have caught USF on a bad shooting night). UConn played USF in Tampa and edged them 100-49.

There are 33 players on the Wade Trophy (National Player of the Year) watch list. 5 of those players are on this UConn team.

Looks like the game is on ESPN3 at Noon CT.

Good luck Shocks (you will need it). Play hard and enjoy the experience.

Comment

UCONN is fun to watch. They play the game right.

Rangie has actually played well when UCONN allows us to shoot. She's made 5-6 shots taken (1 was after the shot clock and didn't count, but hey, you take what you can take) and has 10 of 12 WSU points.

Apparently UCONN was annoyed with their play earlier in the week, a 55-37 win at UCF. And they have a player back, DangerMouse? Anyway, Katie Lou Samuelson, one of their 5 candidates for National POY has 13 and 6 assists at the quarter. UCONN ties the school record for points in a quarter, and they can literally name the score today.

41-12 after 1.

Comment

FYI the game is on 639 if you have DirecTv.

Comment

I'm not sure, but we may have not got a stop the entire quarter.

Comment

After one quarter it's Katie Lou Samuelson 13 WSU 12 over-all 41-12.

Comment

Rangie has a great shot.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In the shadow of what (I hope at least) was the worst beating she's ever taken in her basketball career, I hope Rangie is proud of herself today. 20 points against the best in the country is something to be proud of, imho.

67-23 at the half. 70% from the field. Mostly layups. Even Geno was impressed with his team's play.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                      flyingMoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My prediction from several weeks ago was 115-45. I may be closer than I would like.

Actually, we are playing better since that prediction, but UConn was in a different universe this half.

• UCONN_Husky
                      UCONN_Husky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One of the best halves of UCONN basketball I've seen in a while. You were right in your earlier post about UCONN being annoyed with the UCF game. Unfortunately, WSU seems to be the "game after" victim.

With that said, I fully expect you to get us back real good in the men's game later today.

It's not like I'm watching UCONN for the first time. I watch them probably more than all but WSU and a few men's teams. I love the way they play. But this is the first time watching them when it "matters" to me. And I'm even more impressed. With EVERYTHING. They way they play, coached, fans, just everything. If nothing else, and it's likely nothing else, our program gets to see first hand what the best of everything is like and hopefully become better people for experiencing it.

Comment

101-39

Oh, it's only after 3 quarters. Looks like the Huskie starters are done for the day.

Comment

School record for points is in serious jeopardy. 127 to set the record and that's the only time over 120. 118 and 117 next highest totals. Will continue to watch to see if the reserves can get the record.

7:56 left, and it's 108-39.

115-39 with 5:10 left. Shocks take their last timeout. Let's see what HCKA draws up.
                        Last edited by WuDrWu; February 10, 2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

UCONN chose not to break their school record and wins 124-43. UCONN was 47-66 from the field 71.2% 20-24 from the line and 10-20 from 3. They had 32 assists and played great D. Just an amazing team and program playing at a high level. Geno said afterwards that we were just overmatched but they played a complete game. Certainly will be pulling for UCONN here out especially against Louisville Monday.

They share the ball like few men's teams do. Fun to watch.

Bottom line, you aren't going to beat UCONN, and if they shoot 72%, you're going to have records and highlights at your expense. Looking forward to seeing them in person next season.

Comment

I really like the UCONN women:s team. The Lady Shockers drew a bad time to play them and just got drilled.

Comment

Working...
                            X