It's American Time - Shocks @ Temple and UConn This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
    Very small. It's basically a high school gym. I'm not sure why the article states 437 as "full capacity" though. I've been there, and the LSU game earlier this season had over 600 in attendance.

In terms of attendance, I was thinking that having a big name/ranked opponent may slightly boost the usual attendance numbers, but the football game will probably prevent that small boost from happening. Again, UCONN volleyball really doesn't have a fan-base beyond player family/friends and a few students. Should the team become more competitive and increase attendance, I could see them moving to a larger on-campus venue.
    Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    My daughter plays club volleyball in better facilities. We host our Volleyball fundraiser in a superior facility.
    Not really intended to be a knock, just an initial surprise.
    Yup, @UCONN_Husky: is very aware of their plight.

Comment

25-21, 25-23 Shocks lead 2-0 into the break. Both sets ended with UCONN making a couple of mostly unforced errors at the end, and as mentioned earlier, Emily's attacks have really been the difference.

7 hitting errors for WSU, and that's taking out the 2 solo blocks for UCONN, are bringing our % down lower than it should be. Take out Emily's 7-0-8 .875 and we're 21-9-57 .211

Comment

Redshirt So Kayla Williams (Staten Island, NY) is a seriously good talent. She'll be a handful for the next 3 seasons in Storrs. The Huskies only appear to rely on 1 senior, 6'2" MB Tosin Adeniyi and are likely to get a lot better the next 2 seasons.
        Last edited by WuDrWu; September 24, 2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

A whole lotta "want to" out of WSU on the last two points to open a cut on the Huskies in the 3rd set. Timeout UCONN trailing 8-11.

Comment

Ridin' the Rail(er)s to a probable win in Storrs today. Emily Hiebert and Abbie Lehman are carrying the Shocks today. 21-16 Shocks

Comment

You have to be happy with this opening weekend. Go on the road to face two of the tougher teams in the league and only lose one set.

Comment

Fittingly the match ends on a quick to Abbie Lehman. Shocks sweep 21 23 20

Abbie was ridiculous 17-0-22 .773 with 2 block assists and 2 block solos. Emily 9-1-13 .615 31 assists and Newton beats UCONN. Great start in this great conference.

Comment

Post game interview with Emily.....how great is she?

Comment

Post-match comments

Abbie played M1 but played her in front like a M2. 17-0-22 for .773.

Need something from another middle. Alex doing well on the right - maybe need to get her a few more balls. 4-1-8 for .375.

Tabitha and Mikaela both hit less than .100.

Serve and passing was not there tonight.

Emily interview: Good passing part of her success today. Having to pay attention to Abbie helped her. 9-1-13 for .615.

Comment

Nothing came easy for the Shockers this weekend. Very possible that this may prove to be the toughest conference road swing the Shocks will have this season. Only time will tell about that but Temple and UConn both look to be upper level AAC teams this year.

Looks like the Shock really struggled to score on the pins today. Thank goodness the Newton girls were ready and able to carry the load today. You won't often win with the kind of production we had on the pins today plus the lack of production from our middles not named Abbie. Seems like we have more issues than you would typically expect with a Top 25 team.

Hopefully, Lambo and the Ladies will get those things at least working better by the end of the season.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 24, 2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Redshirt So Kayla Williams (Staten Island, NY) is a seriously good talent. She'll be a handful for the next 3 seasons in Storrs. The Huskies only appear to rely on 1 senior, 6'2" MB Tosin Adeniyi and are likely to get a lot better the next 2 seasons.
                        On the other hand the Shocks are losing some serious talent from this year's team and at this point it appears like rebuilding is more likely in the cards than reloading. Need to enjoy this year's seniors as they wind down their Shocker careers.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          at this point it appears like rebuilding is more likely in the cards than reloading
                          That thought has crossed my mind a time or three. Who is the setter next year? Jordan or one of the two freshman setters listed on the roster? Will a year in the gym lead to a couple of middles who can contribute? Who will replace Mikaela on the outside? A lot more questions than normal it seems.

But you are correct - enjoy this year and let next year worry about itself.

Comment

Sully's Shocker road trip write-up

His reference to Rich Kern's power rankings are RK's simulation of the NCAA RPI. The references to Top 50 and Top 10 are because there are bonus points associated with those levels in the calculation of the RPI.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                              That thought has crossed my mind a time or three. Who is the setter next year? Jordan or one of the two freshman setters listed on the roster? Will a year in the gym lead to a couple of middles who can contribute? Who will replace Mikaela on the outside? A lot more questions than normal it seems.

But you are correct - enjoy this year and let next year worry about itself.
                              There's no doubt we do lose a ton this year, but Lambo has done a great job of replacing and grooming a great setter to replace a great setter. No way anyone was going to take time from Hiebert this year barring injury. I fully expect Kora Kauling to step in and be super from day 1.

We've got a strong 6 rotation pin player in Tabitha, a serviceable rights side in Alex and developing middles with Emma Wright and Brooke Smith. Abby Pugh should be solid as well. Outside of Gio though we're going to be completely untested at DS. Kara Bown has spot served only. I always felt like Aspen Kridner would take Hannah's place but we haven't seen that yet. I hear good things about Jenna Mak but who knows?

Clearly we're going to Chase Jackson to continue to develop into the player they feel like she can be, and then have either Lauren Hinrichs, Regan Stiawalt (I have my doubts on both) or I think most likely Megan Taflinger step up as a pin. But more likely, if we're going to continue to be successful, is to find a transfer or freshman that can step in. Right now known commitments are hard to find. We shall see.

Comment

There's no doubt we do lose a ton this year, but Lambo has done a great job of replacing and grooming a great setter to replace a great setter. No way anyone was going to take time from Hiebert this year barring injury. I fully expect Kora Kauling to step in and be super from day 1.

We've got a strong 6 rotation pin player in Tabitha, a serviceable rights side in Alex and developing middles with Emma Wright and Brooke Smith. Abby Pugh should be solid as well. Outside of Gio though we're going to be completely untested at DS. Kara Bown has spot served only. I always felt like Aspen Kridner would take Hannah's place but we haven't seen that yet. I hear good things about Jenna Mak but who knows?

Clearly we're going to Chase Jackson to continue to develop into the player they feel like she can be, and then have either Lauren Hinrichs, Regan Stiawalt (I have my doubts on both) or I think most likely Megan Taflinger step up as a pin. But more likely, if we're going to continue to be successful, is to find a transfer or freshman that can step in. Right now known commitments are hard to find. We shall see.
                                Thanks for the insights.

Comment

Working...
                                X