No announcement yet.

It's American Time - Shocks @ Temple and UConn This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like Mikaela is adapting to her new hitting approach quite well. Big turn around for her form just a few matches back.

Comment

Post-game comments

The best performance from Temple this season after watching the tape of earlier games.

Lots of firepower at the pins from Temple, lots of digs by everyone on their team.

Abbie moved to M1 during the match. With conference travel restrictions (only 15 players), some in-match changes were not available.

.327 v .253 for the match. Blocks were 11 v 5.

23-3-49 for .408 for Mikaela. Abbie was 14-2-29 for .414. Tabitha came on late for 11-5-32 for .188.

Comment

They'll be no worse than 15-3 in conference if that's their usual effort.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
          That was fun. Great to see an AAC school pumped to play us. Even better to see us prevail.
          You gotta try and cut those road losses....

Comment

Looked like to me the ladies were getting a little bit of the *superbowl* treatment usually reserved for our men's BB. They seemed to adjust to it all after a bit. Wonder how many of the rest of the conference teams will do all this to welcome the shockers?

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
              Looked like to me the ladies were getting a little bit of the *superbowl* treatment usually reserved for our men's BB. They seemed to adjust to it all after a bit. Wonder how many of the rest of the conference teams will do all this to welcome the shockers?
              All of them. The basketball team could learn some valuable lessons.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Attendance was 1315, nearly all of it behind the cameras.

Comment

Temple was more impressive than I expected coming in after their somewhat ho-hum 4-4 non-con performance. I think Lambo was even surprised based on what he had seen on tape. Temple is pretty average in terms of size but I was very impressed with their overall athleticism. Looking forward to the return match in Wichita.

Looked like Temple had a very good student turnout which apparently included all or a good part of their marching band. That's something we won't be able to match. Volleyball simply has not caught the fancy of the WSU student body outside of a very small group. Nevertheless our fan base generally provides a very good home environment.

Two things were a bit annoying. The use of the arena chairs as artificial noisemakers. Not as bad as vuvuzela horns but close. And the owl decals on the corners of the court made it difficult to see the court sidelines and baselines where they passed over the owl decals.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 22, 2017, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Nice win against Temple!

Attendance for the WSU-UCONN game won't be very good. I'd guess around 600. Volleyball hasn't really caught on at UCONN, probably mostly due to lack of competitiveness. It also won't help being on a Sunday during football (both NFL and the UCONN-ECU game). I'll be checking in on the score though!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      The use of the arena chairs as artificial noisemakers. Not as bad as vuvuzela horns but close.
                      Be Careful! That soapbox has to be wobbly. WSU students do the same thing at basketball games.

It won't be an issue at volleyball games though, since very few students attend the games.

Just would hate to see you fall off that soapbox. :)
                      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                        Be Careful! That soapbox has to be wobbly. WSU students do the same thing at basketball games.

It won't be an issue at volleyball games though, since very few students attend the games.

Just would hate to see you fall off that soapbox. :)
                        Where in Koch arena do they slam the back of chairs into the seat with their feet. I have made noise in Koch arena by hitting my hand on the back of the chairbacks which are hollow and are like hitting on plastic tub. They make some noise somewhat on the dull thud side of the spectrum. The seats at Temple appeared to be hard plastic on hard plastic. They didn't sound hollow but maybe they were. Would some Shocker fans But do the same thing if we had those in Koch Arena? Probably. I think I would still find it annoying. But perhaps that is just a sign of getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Where in Koch arena do they slam the back of chairs into the seat with their feet. I have made noise in Koch arena by hitting my hand on the back of the chairbacks which are hollow and are like hitting on plastic tub. They make some noise somewhat on the dull thud side of the spectrum. The seats at Temple appeared to be hard plastic on hard plastic. They didn't sound hollow but maybe they were. Would some Shocker fans But do the same thing if we had those in Koch Arena? Probably. I think I would still find it annoying. But perhaps that is just a sign of getting old.
                          Your post said using seats as artificial noise makers which does happen in Koch. Anywho my post was merely stated in jest so you can ignore it and carry on. Have a good day 72. :bball_spin:
                          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                            Your post said using seats as artificial noise makers which does happen in Koch. Anywho my post was merely stated in jest so you can ignore it and carry on. Have a good day 72. :bball_spin:
                            You do the same.

BTW , neither compares to the fingernails on the chalkboard experience of the Annual Schoolhouse Screamfest that is hosted by the women's basketball team every year (and perhaps only of few of those kids were artificially inseminated). Not sure the vuvuzelas are even on the same level as that.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 23, 2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

"The UConn volleyball team took down Memphis, 3-1, in its first conference match of the season in front of a full capacity crowd at Guyer Gym on Friday night." (Italics added.)

Attendance from the boxscore: 437.

@UCONN_Husky:, you suggested an attendance of 600, adversely impacted by football. Guyer is that small?

Comment

Guyer Gym is not listed under UConn's facilities on its athletics site but I found it as part of the UConn Recreation site.

Perhaps something along the lines of Wichita State's Heskett Center. UConn does have a new student rec center coming in 2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X