It's American Time - Shocks @ Temple and UConn This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    "The UConn volleyball team took down Memphis, 3-1, in its first conference match of the season in front of a full capacity crowd at Guyer Gym on Friday night." (Italics added.)

Attendance from the boxscore: 437.

@UCONN_Husky, you suggested an attendance of 600, adversely impacted by football. Guyer is that small?
    Very small. It's basically a high school gym. I'm not sure why the article states 437 as "full capacity" though. I've been there, and the LSU game earlier this season had over 600 in attendance.

In terms of attendance, I was thinking that having a big name/ranked opponent may slightly boost the usual attendance numbers, but the football game will probably prevent that small boost from happening. Again, UCONN volleyball really doesn't have a fan-base beyond player family/friends and a few students. Should the team become more competitive and increase attendance, I could see them moving to a larger on-campus venue.

Comment

It appears that Lambo and Mikaela have her game straightened out at least for the time being and Alex Koon seems to have earned a position as the 3rd outside hitter. What remains as an issue it would appear is the search for a 2nd middle who can reliably and productively fill that role. Looks like the options are Emma Wright, Brooke Smith, and Abby Pugh. Abby is not on this road trip as Lambo deals with the AAC's roster limit of 15 players for AAC matches. Not sure if that only applies to the visiting team or to both the visitors and the home team. Early on it looked like Brooke might be ready to grab that role but at this point it still seems to be wide open. Emma primarily filled that role against Temple with mixed results. I wonder if Brooke will get her shot against UConn?

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
        UCONN volleyball really doesn't have a fan-base beyond player family/friends and a few students. Should the team become more competitive and increase attendance, I could see them moving to a larger on-campus venue.
        Wichita State volleyball was pretty much in this exact same situation with its volleyball program 18 years ago when they hired Chris Lamb to lead our program as they played matches in our student recreation center his first couple of years. After they completed the renovation of what is now Koch Arena the volleyball team moved to that renovated facility. We have had a couple of crowds in excess of 6,000 although attendance has dropped off a bit over the past 3 years. I think that is at least partially due to the availability of games on digital networks.

The Shockers have averaged as much as 3,500 per game in the past but that has fallen to more in the 2,000 to 2.500 average per game in recent years.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 23, 2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Nice report on the Shockers 1st ever American Conference road trip.

Hope they enjoyed the Philly Cheesesteaks.

This story had the feel of Paul Suellentrop's work but it's hard to know for sure if he had anything to do with it.

Comment

Very small. It's basically a high school gym. I'm not sure why the article states 437 as "full capacity" though. I've been there, and the LSU game earlier this season had over 600 in attendance.
            To clarify, the article said "full capacity" without giving a number. The number (437) came from the boxscore.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

This story had the feel of Paul Suellentrop's work but it's hard to know for sure if he had anything to do with it.
              KFH Paul Suellentrop Interview
              It was him.
              Last edited by bpwsu86; September 23, 2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Considering it reads "by Paul Suellentrop"...

Your hunch is correct.
                78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  Considering it reads "by Paul Suellentrop"...

Your hunch is correct.
                  LOL. How in the hell did I miss that. Oh well I got to listen to a good interview with Paul as a result of my ignorance.

Comment

He didn't have it on there at first. It sounded like his writing but it didn't have his byline to start out.

Comment

Anyone is having issue with UConn Web Registration to watch the match on streaming? It's been all day I have been trying and after I try to do the first step (Create an Account) it says:

We're sorry but we cannot process your request at the moment. Please try again later

Comment

Originally posted by 291185 View Post
                        Anyone is having issue with UConn Web Registration to watch the match on streaming? It's been all day I have been trying and after I try to do the first step (Create an Account) it says:

We're sorry but we cannot process your request at the moment. Please try again later
                        Make sure you're following the password requirements. Must be 8+ characters, caps and lower and #s and special characters.

Comment

My daughter plays club volleyball in better facilities. We host our Volleyball fundraiser in a superior facility.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            My daughter plays club volleyball in better facilities. We host our Volleyball fundraiser in a superior facility.
                            Cool.

Comment

Cool.
                              As much as I love our volleyball program, and I do love it, I'll swap every facility for your guys' what, 14 basketball national championships? In a minute.

Comment

Cool.
                                Not really intended to be a knock, just an initial surprise.

More competitive match than I expected so far. UCONN has a talented pin and a couple more than serviceable middles. Emily is making the difference with her dump attacks so far 7-0-8 .875

Comment

Working...
                                X