No announcement yet.

Nike Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes the gals on the other side of the net just jump higher and hit harder. That was clearly evident tonight but I also think that was compounded by a poor performance by the Shocks.

The Shocks were exposed tonight as not ready for prime time by a very good Oregon team.

Lambo's thoughts will be interesting to hear.

Comment

Lost the third 25-12. Disappointing showing by the Shocks.

Comment

The Cal Poly match may tell us a lot about this team.

Comment

Glad to hear Lambo didn't think the Shocks passed very well because I was thinking the same thing but Oregon's power no doubt had something to do with that.

Comment

No embarrassment losing to this Oregon team. It is disappointing that the Shocks weren't more competitive overall than they were.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              The Cal Poly match may tell us a lot about this team.
              Agreed. Looking forward to seeing how the Shocks will respond and, hopefully, bounce back from a bad night at the office tonight.

Comment

I haven't watched a ton of volleyball, but that match last night was hard to watch. Looked like we just got in our heads and made far too many mistakes.

Comment

Quote from the Oregon HC from the Oregon web site:

"I'm really proud of us," said head coach Matt Ulmer. "I've been preaching to them that this was a national match tonight. The volleyball nation is going to see this match and I wanted them to show everyone how good we are.

"This was the first time I thought we started strong; we've been starting very poorly. I am just really proud of us because this is a match we had to win. Wichita State is an excellent team, but that's just how good we were tonight."

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                    I haven't watched a ton of volleyball, but that match last night was hard to watch. Looked like we just got in our heads and made far too many mistakes.
                    Whatever the reason or reasons I am having a hard time remembering a Lambo team being so thoroughly dominated. A lot of credit for that goes to Oregon. They played great. But the Shocks have played teams of this caliber before without succumbing to such a degree. It was clear Lambo had nothing in his bag of tricks. He even went to a 6-2 in desperation in Set 3 with a result Lambo himself called a disaster.

IMO this makes this afternoon's match with Cal Poly pretty important in many ways. The psyche of this Shocker team has to be, at a very mininum, somehwhat damaged. Lambo is trying to fill a hole in his lineup by moving Abbie away from what she does best and hope the freshman middles can get the job done. The Shocks serve and pass game abandoned them last night and that needs to be much better if the Shocks are going to get back on track. Lambo's has a bit of psychology challenge on his hands today as well as a X's and O's challenge.

I don't think I will able to follow the Cal Poly match. Hopefully, when I can check on them post-match there will be good news.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

#23 Shockers v Cal Poly

Pre-game

Mike extolled the Van Winden sisters (not twins like Lambo keeps saying - their mothers are twins).

Lambo: 1) still looking for something smooth, consistent

2) have problems with inability to have complementary skill sets next to each other

3) that puts pressure on serve/receive

4) several girls approached him about how they could help (starters and those with lots of playing time, I think)

5) CP has lots of players who do things well, led by the sisters

Comment

Big match for the Shox here. Up 3-1 here early in the first set.

Comment

Set 1

Alex Koon is the "variable" starter. Jenny plays the back row for the first time this weekend. Emma has a couple of kills early.

Never behind, once tied, the Shocker lead becomes 12-8 after an ace by Alex, and CP takes a timeout.

A 14-9 lead is whittled down to 15-14, and the Shockers take a TO.

The Shockers eventually trail 17-19, but the Shockers regain the lead at 24-23 and CP takes another timeout.

On a Emily/Emma block,

Shockers 25-23 Cal Poly

Shockers hit .364 v .196, 3 blocks v 0.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; September 9, 2017, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Back and forth first set, but Shox win 25-23. Great start!

Comment

Set 2

Alex and Emma are the middles again.

A Shocker block, two aces by Emily, a kill by Tabitha and a timeout by CP. 4-0.

The Shocker lead becomes 9-5. A 4-0 run by CP makes the score 11-13, and Lambo takes a timeout.

Brooke rather than Alex replaces Emma in the rotation.

Mikaela is 6-0-12 in the middle of the set.

The Shockers build a 19-17 lead. At 21-19, Cal Poly takes their last timeout. Some very nice back row play by the littles in the last half of this set.

A kill by Alex and two CP attack errors (one, a Shocker block) brings the score to 24-19. A serve into the net by CP ends the set.

Shockers 25-21 Cal Poly

In this set, Shocks hit .244 v .213 and blocks are 6 v 2.

For the match to this point, .297 v .204 and 9 v 2.
                              Last edited by flyingMoose; September 9, 2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

4-0 start to the second including back-to-back aces from Hiebert. Quick timeout for Cal Poly.

Comment

Working...
                                X