Nike Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for 72

72, do you have any idea what a double quick is. In Lambo's Mon night radio show this week, he said the team had 2 days to come up with something for this weekend. I surmised it might have something to do with the middles.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
      72, do you have any idea what a double quick is. In Lambo's Mon night radio show this week, he said the team had 2 days to come up with something for this weekend. I surmised it might have something to do with the middles.
      Not sure I am 100% sure what it is because I have not seen it in action but it sounds like you run two middles to the same side of the setter and she has the option of setting either one with a quick, low set. Now how they communicate or know who will be getting the set on any particular play I can't say. I don't know if it is called before the serve or if they have some kind of voice communication they use as the play develops.

I'm pretty sure he said it was something unusual that Miami (OH) runs and, of course, he got a first hand look at that last weekend.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 8, 2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        She has been a bit up and down so far this year.
        I think she has had an up and down career. But my memory is not what it used to be either.

Comment

AAC Campus Connect:

I plan to stream the Shockers' game tonight vs Oregon. First ever time watching a non-UCONN volleyball match. Go Shocks!

Comment

... it sounds like you run two middles to the same side of the setter
            I would have guessed two middles on either side of the setter - with a heavy emphasis on the "guess."

I'm pretty sure he said it was something unusual that Miami (OH) runs and, of course, he got a first hand look at that last weekend.
            I recall that he said this is something the Chinese National Team ran in the past, perhaps some years ago.

Comment

Lambo's comment from the Shocker site game report:

"We had a few new wrinkles today and part of it was good, but we still need more first ball firepower from more places," said head coach Chris Lamb.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
                I would have guessed two middles on either side of the setter - with a heavy emphasis on the "guess."

I recall that he said this is something the Chinese National Team ran in the past, perhaps some years ago.
                I'm guessing as well. Going mostly on comments I have heard Lambo and Mike make but hard to really know for sure how this is run. But actually your description makes more sense. Perhaps it is any play where two of your attack options are quicks. Now it's possible there are numerous ways to set up those attack options.

Maybe we will get to see what Lambo's version looks like next weekend if it works well this weekend.

I suppose what we know is that if you are running a double quick using two middles than those two middles are starting on the front row. I guess that does not preclude you from pulling an OH in towards the middle and running a double quick with one middle and one outside hitter.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 8, 2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I think she has had an up and down career. But my memory is not what it used to be either.
                  I don't think that observation is totally off base. So maybe that's good omen for what might come from Mikaela tonight. Although Oregon is not the kind of team you generally would pick to try to get well against.

Comment

There is one player who has only played in 8 sets but those 8 sets were in the Nebraska and Texas matches. 6-3 OH Brooke Van Sickle is purported to be the Ducks most versatile player and she did well against Nebraksa and Texas totaling 21 kills with a .259 HP and making 37 digs in those 2 matches. Apparently she sustained some kind of a knee injury in the Texas match and did not play at all in any of the Ducks 3 matches this past weekend. The only thing I can find is that she was not available to play last weekend. I have been unable to find anything about her ability to play this weekend. So the availability and condition of this player could be a bit of a wild card this weekend.
                    Brooke Van Sickle only played 7 points of the Cal Poly match. She entered the 2nd set with Oregon leading 18-14 and departed with Oregon up 21-18. That appears to be the only court time she received in that match. That would seem to indicate that she is still well below 100%.

However, even if Van Sickle is unable to play against the Shocks the Ducks are formidable challenge. Just ask Cal Poly.

OTOH, the Shockers are still searching for this team's identity (although Lambo seems always to be searching for a better mousetrap). Mikaela is pretty unpredictable. Outside of Abbie we are very young and inexperienced in the middle and Lambo always says older is better in volleyball.

I'm anxious to see how the Shocks hold up to the kind of challenge Oregon presents.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 8, 2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

American Athletic Conference - Campus Connect

Let's hope Mikaela's dreams of a lifetime memory come true.

Comment

Early Deficits No Problem For Ducks (vs Cal Poly)

It figures to be more of a challenge Friday at 8 p.m. when the Ducks meet unbeaten and 23rd-ranked Wichita State (6-0).

“Wichita State is excellent,” Ulmer said. “The style they play is different than anybody else we’ll see.

“It’s going to look different for us ... so now how do we respond? I hope well. It’s a big match for us.”

Comment

Other Scores of Interest

TAMU 3-1 Lipscomb
                          (22) 17 22 20

#17 Purdue 3-1 #9 Creighton
                          21 15 (22) 25

And then Creighton thumped Belmont

Comment

Cal Poly 3 - Duquesne 0 (19, 14, 22)

Comment

Cal Poly 3-0 Duquesne
                              19 14 22

My memory fails me, and my reflexes are slowing down.

Comment

My memory fails me, and my reflexes are slowing down.
                                We have an available spot in the club. Running a special this month on initiation fees. Thing is I can't remember what that is.

Comment

Working...
                                X