No announcement yet.

WSU Hosts Northern Iowa - Friday, Oct 26th - Buy 1, Get 1 Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason for changing the time was more because many volleyball fans are also football fans. You can be upset about it if you like, but I'd be surprised if UNI would have been able to make such changes without first getting approval from the visiting team.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
      So WSU would never adjust the start time of a volleyball match in order to accomodate a mens basketball game?
      I'm not sure the issue has ever presented itself. We have tried to combine a VB match with Shocker Madness but that didn't really work very well.

We do have one date where both the MBB team and VB team are playing on the same date. As far as I can tell their was no adjustment. The MBB team plays Howard at 2:00 pm and the VB team plays Drake at the normal 7:00 pm time on Saturday, November 17th.

I would be very surprised if they moved the Drake VB match up to say 5:00 pm. Not sure we have a real big MBB to VB crossover. Actually, I prefer this setup as its scheduled. Attend the MBB game, head home or out for a nice liesurely dinner, then back to the Arena for the VB match. Maybe another 1,000 fans (at most) would do the same. I don't think moving the VB match up would impact this number much at all.

Obviously, the MBB and VB matches can not be scheduled simultaneously. Fortunately, I don't think this has ever been an issue to date.

Comment

On the date in question, the football game was originally scheduled for a 4 p.m. kickoff, but was moved to 6 p.m. to accomodate television coverage. So they changed the volleyball match time as best they could. Don't know why I'm bothering to explain, as such explanations are as pointless as presidential debates.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
          The reason for changing the time was more because many volleyball fans are also football fans. You can be upset about it if you like, but I'd be surprised if UNI would have been able to make such changes without first getting approval from the visiting team.
          You may be correct. I'll go to the source and let you know factually.

Comment

Not sure if that time change threw our VB team off or not. I don't remember Lambo really complaining about it but maybe he did. After all it put both teams out of their normal routine.

If WSU had a football team I could see them trying to do the same thing if such a conflict occurred in order to accomodate as many dual fans as possible.

Comment

A bit off-topic but this post on volleytalk is interesting. http://volleytalk.proboards.com/inde...=918776&page=3
              At-Large bids as of 10/22 (Taking out highest ranked team in each conference as auto-bid winner and counting down strictly along RPI lines)

1. Nebraska 3
              2. UCLA 5
              3. Oregon 6
              4. Kansas 8
              5. Minnesota 9
              6. Washington 11
              7. Kansas State 12
              8. USC 14
              9. Tennessee 16
              10. Miami 17
              11. San Diego 19
              12. Kentucky 20
              13. Oklahoma 21
              14. Ohio State 22
              15. Purdue 23
              16. North Carolina 24
              17. Arkansas 25
              18. Michigan 26
              19. Texas A&M 27
              20. NC State 28
              21. Pepperdine 29
              22. St. Mary's 31
              23. Illinois 32
              24. Marquette 33
              25. Oregon State 35
              26. Wichita State 36
              27. Iowa State 37
              28. Notre Dame 40
              29. Cal 41
              30. Northwestern 42
              31. Santa Clara 43
              32. Michigan State 44
              33. Arizona 45

(some of these teams will have issues with finishing with a winning record: St. Mary's, Illinois and Cal;)

Next 4: Northern Iowa, Az State, Mizzou, Georgia Tech
              If this is close to correct, then UNI has more to gain playing in Koch Arena than does WSU.

ADDED: http://volleytalk.proboards.com/inde...y&thread=46523 has the same post.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

We weren't really on topic anyway. Hard to believe that the MVC would not get at least 2 teams in the tournament. They probably deserve 3. This is where the weak non-con schedules of some of our MVC sisters may be coming back to bite us in the rear end. Did Creighton get hurt that badly by the loss to SIU on the road?

However, your point is well-taken. This match has some very big ramifications for post-season play opportunities.

Comment

Pretty sure the reason you don't see Creighton is because they're eliminated from at large due to the auto bid assumed for them. They have a high 20s RPI and are a dead lock to get in the tourney as of today. Same reason you don't see Texas listed.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Pretty sure the reason you don't see Creighton is because they're eliminated from at large due to the auto bid assumed for them. They have a high 20s RPI and are a dead lock to get in the tourney as of today. Same reason you don't see Texas listed.
                    whoever put together that list took the highest rated team (according to RPI) in each conference as the defacto "autobid" team, and thus didn't include them in the list of at-larges.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      My bad I clearly didn't read that close enough. Thanks Doc.

Comment

No bad at all.....I wouldn't have even mentioned it, but I didn't want you struggling with it. :)

Comment

I believe that CU, UNI and WSU will all make the tourney. CU is #34, WSU is #36 and UNI is #46 in the latest RPI.
                          CU gets to play (RPI) #36 and #46.
                          UNI gets to play #34 and #36.
                          WSU gets to play #34 and #46.
                          One way to improve one's RPI ranking is to play teams with good RPIs. I think all three teams will have good enough RPIs to get into the dance.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2012WVBrpi1.html
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Fri, Oct 26 UNI #46 - - Wichita 7 p.m.
                            Sat, Oct 27 Bradley #234 - - Wichita 7 p.m.
                            Fri, Nov 02 Indiana State #286 - - at Terre Haute, Ind. 6 p.m.
                            Sat, Nov 03 Illinois State #99 - - at Normal, Ill. 7:05 p.m.
                            Fri, Nov 09 Missouri State #109 - - Wichita 7 p.m.
                            Fri, Nov 16 Creighton #34 - - Wichita 7 p.m.
                            Sat, Nov 17 Drake #246 - - Wichita 7 p.m.
                            My "gosh" the Valley has some terrible teams in WVB. Can we make some trades with another conference?

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                              I believe that CU, UNI and WSU will all make the tourney. CU is #34, WSU is #36 and UNI is #46 in the latest RPI.
                              CU gets to play (RPI) #36 and #46.
                              UNI gets to play #34 and #36.
                              WSU gets to play #34 and #46.
                              One way to improve one's RPI ranking is to play teams with good RPIs. I think all three teams will have good enough RPIs to get into the dance.

http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2012WVBrpi1.html
                              That'd be nice. Though it could change depending on how the rest of the season (and the conference tourney) turns out. If someone other than those three wins the autobid, I think it might knock out one aspiring team. Or other "upsets" could knock someone out.

Comment

Actually some of the teams ranked higher than UNI may not qualify for tthe tourney. Illinois is 10-10, as is Cal. Arizona and Arizona State should pick up losses against Stanford and Cal. If one of them (ASU, UA, Oregon State, Cal) plays Washington, Stanford, Oregon, USC or UCLA, I think you can chalk up a loss. I don't know the Pac 12 schedule but some of those teams will probably finish at or under 0.500 and free up a spot for UNI.

Comment

Working...
                                X