WSU Hosts Northern Iowa - Friday, Oct 26th - Buy 1, Get 1 Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
    sidenote: sometimes it bothers me a bit when someone always has to modify team names for womens teams (Lady Shocks, Lady Panthers, etc.), because it's like the person is implying that those teams are "TRUE" Shocks or "TRUE" Panthers, which is ridiculous. But then, it's not like being a Lady is a bad thing in and of itself. But I'm rambling.
    I use it as a term of respect and endearment, but then again I am an old guy.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
      Imagine if WSU could bring in 5000 fans to each of the next three matches. I don't think it will happen but I wonder if 5000 fans at a "2 for 1" price brings in more revenue than 2400 fans at full price. Does WSU get any of the concession money or does it all go to the volunteers who man the concession stands?
      The volunteer organizations get a incomprehensibly small percentage of the concession revenue. WSU and the concessionaire get about 90% of the money, split I-don't-know-how after costs. If 2-for-1 nearly doubles regular attendance, I believe WSU would come out far ahead.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I'm not sure 2-for-1 would double regular attendance for just any match. This was the result of a combination of a fairly well promoted 2-for-1 deal and was one of our most important matches of the year against a very good VB team in UNI.

Comment

The Creighton match is looking pretty important. And we usually get a good crowd against MSU. Two more good turnouts would be nice.
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The Creighton match is looking pretty important. And we usually get a good crowd against MSU. Two more good turnouts would be nice.
            If we can get past Illinois State on the road this Saturday and a suddenly rejuvenated(?) Missouri State the following Friday then the Creighton match on Friday, November 16th will indeed by a very big match.

Missouri State, of course, is our sole opponent the weekend we play them so that could be helpful also. Wished we played them on Saturday instead of Friday, but it is what it is.

Hopefully, the CU match will set up to mean something (like perhaps a #2 seed and 1st round bye in the MVC Tournament) and we can tap into the oft stated dislike of the Bluejays to generate a big crowd for that one.

But there is a lot of work to do before we get to that point and the Shocks need to revitalize their game a little for the stretch run.

Comment

Unless it's changed in the last couple of years, WSU's deal with the concessionaires is to get 50% of the gross sales.

Comment

After last night (with 3825 fans watching WSU beat MSU), Shocker attendance stands at 29,086 fans attended 10 home matches for an average attendance of 2909.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

That was a darn nice crowd last night and as far as I know there were no special promotions outside of the Think Pink Jersey Auction. If so, I missed that. That is an outstanding crowd if, indeed, there was no discounted admission promotion.

In any case, that was far and away the most energetic crowd of the year and I think maybe helped the Lady Shocks with their energy level.

Does anyone know who the group of guys in the red shirts that were on the North end of the court were. They were getting into it pretty good and I think helped get the crowd going a number of times. Just goes to show you what the students could bring if they would ever decide to get behind the VB team in decent numbers. Also, nice to have the Pep band at the match.

Fun night all the way around.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 10, 2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

After last night (with 3825 fans watching WSU beat MSU), Shocker attendance stands at 29,086 fans attended 10 home matches for an average attendance of 2909.
                    With Illinois playing on the road this weekend, that will be enough for us to leapfrog them (at least for now) to #7 in the nation in attendance (UNI is #6 at 2,940 per match).
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Would really like to see a concerted effort this week through all media for a big turnout against CU and Drake for senior night. No reason at all we shouldn't have around 3k for both matches.

I know....I know......

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        Would really like to see a concerted effort this week through all media for a big turnout against CU and Drake for senior night. No reason at all we shouldn't have around 3k for both matches.
                        There is a great opportunity next Friday to see if the "I Hate/Dislike Creighton" attitude is a commonly held feeling among Shocker fans or is simply message board talk by a small slice of the fan base.

The Shocker VB team drew a very nice crowd of 3,825 for their match with MSU last night. The match with the #25 ranked BlueJays next Friday would not seem to hold much signficance for the Shocks as far as final regular season standings are concerned but an upset win over Creighton would certainly go a long way in helping the Shocks with an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament. We will see how deep the anti-Creighton feeling really does run next Friday.

I doubt that Drake next Saturday will be a big draw but for me personally, senior nights are can't miss events. We certainly continue the Shocker VB tradition of having outstanding young women to honor and thank in this year's 2 seniors, Emily and Jackie.

Go Shocks!

Comment

I went to the game last night and had a great time. I know very little about volleyball, but Reilly looks like a star in the making. Am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            I went to the game last night and had a great time. I know very little about volleyball, but Reilly looks like a star in the making. Am I right?
                            I don't know if Katie will be a star (she might be), but she will be a very solid MVC outside hitter. She responded marvelously to replacing Sam Sanders in the lineup due to injury. Keep in mind that Katie probably wasn't a priority in MSU's game plan as far as who they wanted to focus on defensively. Still you really had to like what we saw from Katie last night and it sounds like she has a tremendous attitude and is very coachable.

Ashlyn Driskill, our other true freshman that has seen a lot of court time this year perhaps has a better chance of becoming a star than Katie. Ashlyn is very athletic and has perhaps the most disruptive serve on the team when she is on.

The Shocks also have a freshman on the bench Katie Dudzinski who broke her foot prior to the season starting and who the coaches thought would be the true freshman they would count on the most this year prior to her injury.

Comment

Ashton (#5) seemed to come in as a designated server. She has some kind of funny knuckle serve that seems to be somewhat hard to handle. Is that a correct observation?

Also, is Sanders done for the year?

Comment

Mary Ashton Floyd (Mash as she prefers) does have a good serve and might have redshirted if not for that strong serve. She's played sparingly but for the most part has been effective when inserted into the lineup.

Katie is fairly athletic and I believe will be a solid player but not a superstar. Like '72 said, Driskill and Dudzinski seem to have the inside line on future stardom.

Shoulder injuries are obviously a dicey thing in volleyball. Sam did practice late in the week, and I know they haven't ruled out a return, but we shall see. Sam gives us some fire and physicality the youngsters just don't have yet.

Moving Emily to the right was effective last night....we'll see if it's effective going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X