Shocker SB at Razorback Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I wonder what HCKB will have to talk about on her weekly radio show tonight.
    I think the radio show for softball is Tuesday night. I believe there is a K-state B-ball game tonight that starts around 5 on KFH.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post

I think the radio show for softball is Tuesday night. I believe there is a K-state B-ball game tonight that starts around 5 on KFH.
      You can go to Deano's and listen live tonight, but you're right in that it will be broadcast tomorrow night.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Comment

• The making of a breakout star: Freshman sets record in top-25 win for Shocker softball

https://news.yahoo.com/making-breako...hssrp_catchall

Two weeks before the early signing period of her senior year in high school, Barber was uncommitted with no idea where she was going to play college softball.

She was previously committed to Kansas City, but a coaching change following the 2022 season left Barber without a future home late in the recruiting process.

Barber was a star two-way player at White Bear Lake, a suburb of Minneapolis, but never attracted interest from the University of Minnesota or other high-major programs. It befuddled her Minnesota Force club coach, Julie Standering, who was a former co-head coach of the Gophers for two decades.

“Chloe just needed someone to believe in her,” Standering said.

That someone came along on Oct. 20, 2022, when WSU pitching coach Presley Bell, who has since left the program, discovered Barber in a serendipitous way during a showcase tournament in Chesterfield, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis.

“The coach was actually there to watch someone else, but the pop on the glove made her turn her head and walk to our field,” Standering said. “After that game, she told me, ‘I want her.’”

Thank you Presley.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Sophie Johnson is now catching! Hmm, wonder what will happen tomorrow. Was Lainee hurt on the previous play?
            So the mystery is solved. According to HCKB in her radio show their is a limit on how many visits to the mound are allowed in an inning. Apparently, Lainee made one too many visits in the Arkansas 13 run 4th inning and was kicked out of the game. That's a new one on me.

Comment

• HCKB said that they are going to try to fight to get a year of eligibility back for C-Squared. Apparently, she was told she would have one of her juco years not count against her eligibility due to Covid year but for some reason that did not come to fruition.

Really entertaining and informative 1st of the season radio show for Coach Bredbenner.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 27, 2024, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

So the mystery is solved. According to HCKB in her radio show their is a limit on how many visits to the mound are allowed in an inning. Apparently, Lainee made one too many visits in the Arkansas 13 run 4th inning and was kicked out of the game. That's a new one on me.
                Sorry, but this is a serious coach-mistake. Lainee has to be taught beforehand and then reminded after her "last" visit that inning. Well, the inning did last almost three days, but still.

I still don't understand why Sophie was the sub rather than Jessica. It almost tells me that HCKB has another catcher in the wings but not on campus that she is high on.

Comment

• Nebraska junior pitcher and former OU star Jordy Bahl is out for the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee in the Cornhuskers’ opener last week.

Bahl suffered the injury in the third inning of Nebraska’s matchup against sixth-ranked Washington at the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Bahl exited the game after landing on her plant leg and falling to the ground in pain. She walked to the dugout and didn’t return.

Seems like a bit of an unusual softball injury for a pitcher although that plant leg does take a lot of wear and in this case tear.

That will make this coming weekend in Lincoln just a little easier although Nebraska will still be tough and Mizzou is very good this year.

Comment

Sorry, but this is a serious coach-mistake. Lainee has to be taught beforehand and then reminded after her "last" visit that inning. Well, the inning did last almost three days, but still.

I still don't understand why Sophie was the sub rather than Jessica. It almost tells me that HCKB has another catcher in the wings but not on campus that she is high on.
                    Why wouldn’t Johnson be the sub? She is the backup catcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Why wouldn’t Johnson be the sub? She is the backup catcher.
                      Because she burns her redshirt. The game is totally out-of-hand at that point. Almost anybody but Sophie would have worked.

But if Sophie is not the next Butters, then fine, whatever.

Comment

Because she burns her redshirt. The game is totally out-of-hand at that point. Almost anybody but Sophie would have worked.

But if Sophie is not the next Butters, then fine, whatever.
                        The only thing I have heard about Sophie is that she has a terrific arm I have not heard much about what whether or not she can hit much. A little undersized as catcher's go at 5-6 but that should not impact her defense. Perhaps limit her pop at the plate although Addie B is only 5-6. And C-Squared is 5-4 (allegedly).

We don't get many players out of Florida and Sophie was pretty highly rated coming out of high school. Perhaps there was no plan to redshirt Sophie or perhaps Sophie has said she isn't interested in redshirting.

In any case, since the redshirt has been burned I hope she gets a little bit of playing time this season. No catcher's were signed in November. So at this point Sophie is the only catcher with eligibility left after this season. Perhaps HCKB will be looking to the portal to shore that position up.

Comment

• Lainee's Administrative Ejection (yes, that's the term): A team is allowed one player conference and one coach conference per half inning on defense. So Lainee (or some other player) had used the player conference. Normally, a player would ask for Time before a conference. If she had none, the umpire would tell her so - they are not interested in ejecting players. Also, most umps would tell her, That's your Player Conference, after the first conference. So, the umpire was brushing off home plate, and Lainee dashed out to the circle when she no longer had a conference? Details unknown, of course.

Comment

Lainee's Administrative Ejection (yes, that's the term): A team is allowed one player conference and one coach conference per half inning on defense. So Lainee (or some other player) had used the player conference. Normally, a player would ask for Time before a conference. If she had none, the umpire would tell her so - they are not interested in ejecting players. Also, most umps would tell her, That's your Player Conference, after the first conference. So, the umpire was brushing off home plate, and Lainee dashed out to the circle when she no longer had a conference? Details unknown, of course.
                            How I understood it, Lainee got ejected on her third trip to the circle. I assume once for each pitcher, and I bet that is why the ump was allowing the conferences. I think HCKB said she had walked to the circle twice that inning. It was Arkansas's coach that asked to have the rule enforced. Seems kinda petty being they already scored double digit runs in the inning, but we did beat them a couple days before, and last year.

Nebraska junior pitcher and former OU star Jordy Bahl is out for the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee in the Cornhuskers’ opener last week.

Bahl suffered the injury in the third inning of Nebraska’s matchup against sixth-ranked Washington at the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
                            HCKB complained (got ejected?) about the field conditions there after it had rained, that players might get hurt. I wonder if the surface might have played a role in her injury.
                            Last edited by Critter's Pa; February 28, 2024, 07:43 PM. Reason: roll to role.

Comment

• Originally posted by Critter's Pa View Post

How I understood it, Lainee got ejected on her third trip to the circle. I assume once for each pitcher, and I bet that is why the ump was allowing the conferences. I think HCKB said she had walked to the circle twice that inning. It was Arkansas's coach that asked to have the rule enforced. Seems kinda petty being they already scored double digit runs in the inning, but we did beat them a couple days before, and last year.
                              Yes and No. Contrary to what I posted above, a team can have two player conferences on defense per half inning and seven player conferences in the game. The number of pitchers in the half inning is not a factor. To be complete, a team can have only one player conference on defense per half inning in extra inning games.

The umpire is supposed to tell the coach that a player conference has occurred.
                              Last edited by flyingMoose; February 28, 2024, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X