No announcement yet.

Shocker VB at A-State Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We don't even get our passes to the 10 foot line half the time and lot of time they are as close or closer to the baseline than the 10 foot line.

Comment

Set Four

Kayce is still setting, and Morgan Stout starts. Time to see what this young team is made of.

0-4 start before an attack error gets the Shocks on the board.

0-4 becomes 9-6 and A-State takes a TO. Only one attack error by the ops in that run.

Sideouts and then a three-run by the Shocks. 14-9 and another TO by the Red Wolves.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; August 28, 2021, 03:44 PM.

Comment

When your best defender in terms of digging the ball and making a good pass is your setter you have problems.

Comment

18-9 before A-State gets a kill.

No more than two in a row by either team the rest of the set. Brylee gets a kill to end it.

25-19.

.235 v .122 for the set and .190 v .160 for the match. Kailin has fifteen kills.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; August 28, 2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Set Five

Morgan S starts again.

Two attack errors for an early Shocker lead.

A-State replies with two kills, an attack error by Natalie, and another kill.

A service error and another attack error by the RW and it is 4-5. The Shocks have yet to get a ball on the floor.

Finally, a Sophia kill. A service ace by Bryn makes it 6-6.

7-7 and Lauren P is in ... to set Brylee?

Brylee does get a kill. 8-7, switch ends, and the media TO. To adjust to the Lauren-Brylee connection?

Block Solo by Morgan S. 9-8.

Another kill by Brylee ... set by Kayce. 10-8 and a TO. Are we running a 6-2 now? No subs listed to suggest that, but ... .

Kill by Natalie and block solo by her. 12-8. TO Red Wolves, their second.

Kills by Kayce, Kayce, and Natalie to close out the match.

15-8 and 3-2.

.211 v .143 for the match with eleven blocks v thirteen.

Kailin is 17-8-45 for .200, Sophia is 13-6-37 for .189, Brylee is 10-6-30 for .133, and Natalie is 9-3-16 for .375.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; August 28, 2021, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Finally, the Shockers put together a really solid set when they needed it most to pull out what was up until that 5th set a pretty disjointed effort. Winning ugly is still winning I guess but probably won't get away with that in AAC play.

I thought Kayce Litzau was clearly the catalyst for this win.

I'll give Arkansas State some credit. They are a pretty good defensive team but in the first 4 sets the Shocks were pretty much in scramble mode as our passing was not good overall. A-State has some nice pieces on offense as well. Macy Putt is a very impressive player. They are going to win a lot of games in the Sun Belt I think.

Maybe it all boils down to the hex that Lambo seems to have on Coach Restreppo.

I will assume that the Shocks were at least somewhat sharper yesterday than they were today. In any case, it will be a nice bus trip home for the Ladies. Winning this one today was a bit of a Houdini act.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 28, 2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post

Kayce adjusts better to the sloppy passing than Lauren? Because of her experience?
                Probably, but having a lot of experience with sloppy passing is not necessarily a desirable goal. Shocks were either over-cooking or under-cooking a lot of their passes today. Just couldn't find the habitable zone for their setters today.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 28, 2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Probably, but having a lot of experience with sloppy passing is not necessarily a desirable goal.
                  Agreed. You would not like to have that as one of the criteria for selecting your setter.

Comment

Boy that was.....not great. Not much I can add. Our passing was atrocious and it's hard to see how we went 6-0 yesterday with that kind of execution.

No doubt winning ugly is better than losing ugly. And 3-0 is better than I thought we'd start the season. Kayce saved our bacon today.

I did think our middles, Foster and McMahon were both pretty darned good, and they got a TON of deflections and blocks that didn't go for points.
                    Last edited by WuDrWu; August 28, 2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      I did think our middles, Foster and McMahon were both pretty darned good, and they got a TON of deflections and blocks that didn't go for points.
                      I agree that Natalie and Big Mac were pretty decent today. But because the Shocks were in scramble mode so often today the setters had to take what was available to them and the two middles only took 27 of the teams 152 attacks (18%) or a combined 5.4 attacks per set. Not very busy. Natalie also looks to me to have one of the tougher serves on this Shocker team as well.

Comment

Comment

Me, too. Leaves me out. I think the discussion will surely happen. The question is too obvious for it not to happen.
                          What do you want to ask specifically? I will shoot Mike a tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

What do you want to ask specifically? I will shoot Mike a tweet.
                            Lots of Brylee and very little Sophia early in the weekend. Defensive schemes? (Or as been mentioned above) Bad passing which gave the setter only one option? A comfort level LaurenP had setting Brylee? As the weekend progressed, Sophia got a lot more sets because ... ?

You can probably distill that down in your Tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I agree that Natalie and Big Mac were pretty decent today. But because the Shocks were in scramble mode so often today the setters had to take what was available to them and the two middles only took 27 of the teams 152 attacks (18%) or a combined 5.4 attacks per set. Not very busy. Natalie also looks to me to have one of the tougher serves on this Shocker team as well.

I thought both Natalie and Big Mac served tough.

Comment

Lots of Brylee and very little Sophia early in the weekend. Defensive schemes? (Or as been mentioned above) Bad passing which gave the setter only one option? A comfort level LaurenP had setting Brylee? As the weekend progressed, Sophia got a lot more sets because ... ?

You can probably distill that down in your Tweet.
                                Done

Comment

Working...
                                X