Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker VB at A-State Invitational

Shockers v Missouri State

This match opens the Invite at 10 am. As noted elsewhere, the match on Saturday with Arkansas State is on ESPN+, but the other two Shocker matches (UT-Martin later today) are LiveStats only (Edit: Or not. Now 1010 am. Start-of-the-season gotchas?)

Further Edit: Left a message for Tami at 1020 am. Quien sabe?

Ask and ye shall finally receive. LS appears at 1021 am.

Set One

Starters are Lily, Kailen Newsome, Natalie Foster, Lauren McMahon, Lauren Phillips, Sophia, and Bryn. LaurenP has won the setting wars for now?

From 2-2 to 2-5 to 7-6. Brylee and Annalie Heliste have subbed in.

11-7 and the Bears take their first TO. .278 v .067, and Brylee has two kills.

Shocker leads as much as six (13-7) and as little as two (18-16 and a Shocker TO). LaurenP still setting, so the Shocks are in a 5-1. Kailin with four kills and Brylee with three.

At 18-18, service error by the Bears, kill by Brylee, and an attack error for a 21-18 Shocker lead. TO Missouri State.

The Bears get to 21-20 deficit, but the Shocks close out the set with a kill by Kailin. 25-22.

.209 v .243 with six kills by Kailin and four by Brylee. One block for each team. Aces/errors were 2/0 for the Shockers and 1/3 for Missouri State.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; August 27, 2021, 10:51 AM.

Wichita State Volleyball
    @GoShockersVB
    ·
    20m
    We are looking at a 10:15 a.m. start time for our match vs. Missouri State
    Quote Tweet

Arkansas State Volleyball

Today's first match set for 10 a.m. between @MOstateVB and @GoShockersVB will have a delayed start due to issues with the net.

Comment

Interesting. Lauren Philips starting at setter.

Shocks not of to a good start. Down 3-6 early.

2 MSU errors and a Brylee kill tie it up at 6-all.

Shocks on a 4-point run. Take a 11-7 lead. Natalie kill, Natalie block solo, Brylee kill, Lauren service ace. After a MSU timeout Brylee adds another kill and Lauren adds another service ace as the Shocks stretch the lead to 13-7. Can they maintain?

Just noticed that flyingMoose is updating on his original post so I will leave the updates to him.

Shocks eek out the win in Set 1 by a 25-22 score. I suppose that is pretty good considering Sophia was a liability hitting 1-2-7 = -.143.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 27, 2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Set Two

Brylee starts, and Bryn does not.

Twitter to find out what was going wrong in their world. Of course! I still have a rotary dial on my phone.

From 5-5 to 5-8 for the first multi-point lead for either team.

Three kills by Brylee are part of a run to bring the score to 10-9.

13-13 moves to 16-13 and the Bears take a TO.

16-16 before Kailin gets a kill.

A series of sideouts follow until the Shocks score two in a row to take a 21-19 lead.

More sideouts until the Bears get their two in a row to tie the set at 24.

But two kills by Brylee and the Shockers take the set, 26-24.

For the match, .250 v .250. Eleven kills by Brylee and Kailin and six by Lauren. Sophia is only 2-2-13 for .000.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; August 27, 2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

MSU apparently has Sophia scouted very well and are taking her away so far in this match.

OTOH Brylee has been quite good so far. Kailin Newsom after slow start doing pretty well also.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Just noticed that flyingMoose is updating on his original post so I will leave the updates to him.
            Yeah, I try to put my stuff in one edited post for someone who comes along later in the day. But I certainly do not have squatter's rights.

Comment

Stats wise (since that's all we can get today unless one of you are in attendance) that appears to be a pretty decent start for the ladies.

You knew we were young, I'm not sure we expected to be THAT young out of the box.

11-1-22 .455 for Brylee on the pin so far is dynamic. Not much to complain about stat wise.

MSU also seems to believe they've upgraded at setter, at least, with their own freshman and the other pin has 23 swings vs only 8 for Brooklyn Cink.

Still, 2-0 lead to start out against a quality team, I will take it!

Comment

Set Three

Same starters as Set Two it appears.

A quick 3-0 start including a block solo by Lauren Mc. And then another for 4-1.

The score eases out to 12-6 and the Bears take a TO.

The run goes from 10-6 to 17-6 before Missouri State can start siding out.

Yikes! Three consecutive attack errors by Kailin. Whatever. 20-11.

21-14 and Lambo takes a TO.

The Shocks right the ship and get into port on a kill by Brylee. 25-16 and 3-0.

Brylee leads the way with 16-2-28 for .500. Kailin had eleven kills (11-6-34 for .147). Lauren Mc, Natalie, and Sophia each had fourteen swings with seven, five, and three kills respectively.

The Shockers hit .257 v .192 and had five blocks v four.

The match against UT-Martin is scheduled for 5 pm later today.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; August 27, 2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Foot on the gas in set 3. MSU grasping....hitting .091 while the Shocks are at a BLISTERING .714

Timeout Bares down 12-6.

Comment

Really wasn't expecting a sweep. And if you had told me an untested Lauren Phillips would set the entire match in a 5-1 offense and that Sophia would hit 3-2-14 = .071 not only would I thought a sweep was out of the question but that a match win of any kind was probably unlikely.

Brylee Kelley was just stellar at 16-2-28 = .500.

Defensively the Shocks did a pretty decent job keeping Flynn and Cink under control.

Got a lot of work to do yet but you always like it when your learning experiences come with a solid win over a quality program.

When I say an untested Lauren Phillips I mean untested. This was Lauren's first action in a collegiate volleyball match.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 27, 2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

That's a fantastic start to the Athletics season. Let's hope it doesn't end until late June.
                      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

The 16 kills was a career high and they came in a 3 set match.

Comment

Host Arkansas State downs UT-Martin 3-1 (25-27, 25-18, 25-15, 28-26)

Comment

Shockers v UT-Martin

Set One

Starters are (note a couple of new names) Brylee, Lily, Natalie, Lauren Mc, Morgan Stout, Morgan Weber, Sophia. Lauren P subs in to set at the first rotation. Kailin is in shortly thereafter.

Not a smooth start. 0-2, 1-4, 2-6. The first mini-run by the Shocks brings the score to 5-7. (Very mini-run - two in a row.)

A six-banger and the score is 11-9.

15-12 at the "no media time out." Four kills for Brylee. Has Sophia been "schemed-out" or does Lauren have a connection with Brylee that she has not yet developed with Sophia? There - a kill by Sophia. 16-14.

18-15 after kills by Natalie and Kailin, and the Skyhawks take a TO.

Three attack errors by UT-M, and they take another TO. 21-15.

Kailin, Brylee, Brylee, and a handling error. 25-16.

.298 v. 073.
                            Last edited by flyingMoose; August 27, 2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Lauren Phillips doing the setting again in this match. Sophia off to a slow start with 0 kills in 4 attempts. Wonder if her and Lauren are having trouble getting on the same page with their timing and set location.

Comment

Working...
                              X