Shocker VB at A-State Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Maybe 1972Shocker or flyingMoose saw this coming, but I sure had no idea Lauren was even in the running for playing time, much less taking over the 5-1 right out of the gate.
    Somewhere recently (Sully? Lutz?), Lambo spoke as if all three (also, Kayce and Hailey) were in the hunt (and that the staff really wanted to run a 5-1). You never know if those kinds of remarks are absolutely true or if there is a motivational aspect to them.

It certainly appears that, for now, Lauren has made the most improvement from the coaching and the reps. All of them are still a WIP I suspect. Lauren had at least two ball-handling errors yesterday. Bad sets that effectively became a free ball? Those aren't in the LiveStats.

Comment

Kill % were .394 and .386 yesterday. Good solid numbers.

Comment

Missouri State 3-0 UT-Martin
        18, 13, 18

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Tweet your questions to Shocker Voice
          I assume that requires a Twitter account?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I assume that requires a Twitter account?
            Me, too. Leaves me out. I think the discussion will surely happen. The question is too obvious for it not to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
              Somewhere recently (Sully? Lutz?), Lambo spoke as if all three (also, Kayce and Hailey) were in the hunt (and that the staff really wanted to run a 5-1). You never know if those kinds of remarks are absolutely true or if there is a motivational aspect to them.
              That was in this article:

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/8/2...returners.aspx

How is the setter position working out?

Litzau returns with two seasons of experience, largely in a two-setter system. Coach Chris Lamb expects to play a 5-1 this season and is pleased with his experienced options. Litzau, Lauren Phillips, who redshirted last season, and Hailey Plugge, who played in two matches last spring, will all get chances.

"All three have grown since last spring," Lamb said. "Part of it was the three weeks the girls chose to train after our season. I think it was very liberating for them to feel like it was their team."

Litzau, Lamb said, picked up her performance in recent practices.

"She's more vocal now and she's more of a presence," Lamb said. "By nature, this is a quiet group and I'd like them to be a little more obvious to the players. I want them to stand out a little bit more, be heard."
              I think that did raise some eyebrows although I don't think it in any way hitted that Lauren would be the starting setter to begin the season. Just that the position still seemed to be unsettled with perhaps a leaning towards Kayce.

Comment

Starters vs Arkansas State:

Brylee, Sophia, Natalie, Lauren McMahon, Morgan Weber, Lily and Lauren Phillips.

Not sure who will come out at the start of the match.

Comment

Shockers at Arkansas State

The ESPN+ folks (not me) will be ahead of anything I post, but I probably will anyway. :)

The coach for Arkansas State, Santiago Restrepo, was at Oklahoma in the past.

Set One

Brylee, Lily, Natalie, Lauren Mc, Lauren P, Sophia, Morgan are the starters.

Kailin and Annalie are part of the rotation early.

4-3 becomes 4-8 before a Red Wolf attack error stops their run.

The 5-8 becomes 5-11 before a Kailin kill. Bryn has also rotated in.

Mostly siding out. 11-15 at the media time out.
                  Last edited by flyingMoose; August 28, 2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

So far in Set 1 the Shockers digging and passing has been very poor.

Comment

11-17 and a Shocker TO.

Still not happening. 14-22 and Kayce is in to set. Kailin with a kill.

Set One: 17-25.

.088 v .256. Kailin with four kills. Brylee is 1-0-2. Only two swings?! Sophia with eight swings and Lauren Mc with five.
                      Last edited by flyingMoose; August 28, 2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I was going to say the Shocks were unimpressive in that first set, but not sure that adequately describes how bad they were.

Comment

Set Two

Kayce is the setter.

A nice start. 7-2 and A-State takes a TO.

Brylee is playing in this set, so there is not an injury issue. However, she has only added one swing. Defensive scheme?

No-media timeout because of earlier TO. Was 9-3, now 14-15. A block error (in the net, I think is what that means) in there by Kayce, but also a block solo by her.

18-15 after four in a row, and the second Red Wolf TO.

An 11-4 run to close out the set. 25-19.

.281 v .000 for the set. .143 v .182 for the match. Kailin has seven kills, Sophia has six, and Natalie has four.
                          Last edited by flyingMoose; August 28, 2021, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Much better in set 2 but passing still leaves a lot to be desired. Got a bit better in the last portion of set 2.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Much better in set 2 but passing still leaves a lot to be desired. Got a bit better in the last portion of set 2.
                              Kayce adjusts better to the sloppy passing than Lauren? Because of her experience?

Comment

Set Three

Kayce still setting which cannot be a surprise.

0-6 including three blocks is an ugly start. TO Shocks.

0-8 including a fourth block before Kayce gets a kill. Or maybe the kill/assist posted is reversed and Brylee actually got the kill.

And the beating goes on. 6-15 and the last Shocker TO.

Morgan Stout subs in for her first appearance of the match. And a block solo by Morgan shortly after her entrance.

Lauren P subs in to set at 18-22. Interesting.

19-25. At least the score is something respectable. The play itself? Dunno.

.162 v .237 for the set.

Kailin and Sophia with ten kills, Natalie with six, Brylee with five and hitting .000.
                                Last edited by flyingMoose; August 28, 2021, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X