No announcement yet.

08 Recruit Stats/Scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toure's and all athletes scores are based on a sliding scale. He may easily be a qualifer before his senior year of high school but if his grades drop at all his senior year, then that would mean that he would have to have a higher test score. Most athletes try to take the test as many times as possible to obtain the highest score they can in order not to stress that much on the academic part their senior year.

KF plays Cy-Springs (ranked top 5 in the state and loaded with two high major players) monday night. I don't know if I can get off work in time to see it, but there will be major media coverage in Houston for this game. My nephew plays Tuesday night so hopefully I can check this one out. Cy-Springs has a kid named Phillip McDonald that everyone in the nation was after. AAU coach got hired by Steve Alford and he is heading to New Mexico. Should be a great match up for Toure.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
      Originally posted by Txlen
      Out of curiosity, if Toure has already qualified and has a scholarship to Wichita State, why would he be taking the ACT again? How does getting a better score benefit him? Does it in turn benefit Wichita State in any way?
      Maybe He wants to improve his score because he wants be taken seriously and he'll so he's academically oriented as he is basketball oriented
      if you have a bad score on the Englsih portion of the ACT, they make you take a class that prepares you for English 101. Its kind of a waste of time. If you just get a better score, then you can avoid alot of BS along the way. THIS IS JUST ONE EXAMPLE. Same can be used for math.
      ________
      MONTANA MEDICAL MARIJUANA
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Originally posted by goshocks
        Originally posted by JohnDorian
        Originally posted by Txlen
        Out of curiosity, if Toure has already qualified and has a scholarship to Wichita State, why would he be taking the ACT again? How does getting a better score benefit him? Does it in turn benefit Wichita State in any way?
        Maybe He wants to improve his score because he wants be taken seriously and he'll so he's academically oriented as he is basketball oriented
        if you have a bad score on the Englsih portion of the ACT, they make you take a class that prepares you for English 101. Its kind of a waste of time. If you just get a better score, then you can avoid alot of BS along the way. THIS IS JUST ONE EXAMPLE. Same can be used for math.
        Was thinking the same exact thing.

Comment

My first thought: I was wondering if he was academically inclined and whether a higher test score would qualify him for an academic scholarship, instead of an athletic scholarship.

Comment

Txlen, this is not meant at all as a jab at you, but the idea of one of our signed players taking an academic rather than an athletic scholarship seems to come up every year. Typically, this is when we are over or at the scholarship limit and are still recruiting.

Does anyone know of any situation when a player that was gifted enough to receive a full ride basketball scholarship instead took an academic scholarship and competed in basketball? It seems to me that if schools did that, the NCAA would have an absolute field day investigating the various situations. Similarly, how many WSU academic scholarships actually equal a full ride athletic scholarship?

I realize that Jamar Howard supposedly had a grey shirt semester a few years ago, but I think that situation was quite different and a result of the old 5 - 8 rule.

Anyway, just curious if this phenomenon of a high-caliber recruit landing an academic scholarship has ever actually happened. Anywhere?
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Toure had 18 pts last night in a close loss. KF played #5 ranked Cy-Springs who has a national 100 player going to New Mexico. From everything I heard, Toure held him to 11pts and out played him. There were six D-I players on the court in that game.

Comment

The player htown is referring to is 6'5" Phillip McDonald (Scout 4-star). He's averaging 21.7 ppg.

Comment

htown44 - do you know when KF plays Klein Collins?

That would be a great game to catch if possible, Toure going head to head with Demetri Goodson.

Comment

rayc,

Jan 5th and 29th.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsu789
                      Txlen, this is not meant at all as a jab at you, but the idea of one of our signed players taking an academic rather than an athletic scholarship seems to come up every year. Typically, this is when we are over or at the scholarship limit and are still recruiting.

Does anyone know of any situation when a player that was gifted enough to receive a full ride basketball scholarship instead took an academic scholarship and competed in basketball? It seems to me that if schools did that, the NCAA would have an absolute field day investigating the various situations. Similarly, how many WSU academic scholarships actually equal a full ride athletic scholarship?

I realize that Jamar Howard supposedly had a grey shirt semester a few years ago, but I think that situation was quite different and a result of the old 5 - 8 rule.

Anyway, just curious if this phenomenon of a high-caliber recruit landing an academic scholarship has ever actually happened. Anywhere?
                      I understand it comes up every year, but there can be lots of reasons for him doing this. Like was mentioned above, avoiding pre-english and pre-math. Or doesn't a high enough score give you credit in courses automatically? Maybe he wants to take honors classes? I don't know his GPA or anything, but maybe that's an option.

Or maybe he is trying to qualify for academic scholarships so that he can get extra money for school and expenses? I don't know the NCAA rules on this, but maybe this is the case.

Or maybe he really is trying to help out the program and get an academic scholarship (rather unlikely, but possible) so that they can get another player still.

Or like someone else said, maybe he is just trying to better his score so that he looks more academically inclined or he might have some questions about being eligible because of his senior year grades.

There are many reasons that he could be doing this. But as long as he is eligible, and stays eligible while he's here, I'm perfectly happy.

Comment

• KF's games are in the Houston Chronicle website and www.rcssports.com does a good job of covering them. I don't have their schedule but follow them, along with Klein Collins, through these resources. When KF plays KC, Demetri Goodson's match-up will not be Toure. Chris Hines (Utah signee, who is having a GREAT year also) will have that task. Collins is also loaded with heavy D-1 talent. You can also go to this website to get score updates. They do a descent job of posting stats.

Comment

• rr, my question was not why he would re-take the ACT, as I understand his potential reasons for doing so. My question was whether a D1 caliber basketball recruit ever accepts academic rather than athletic scholarships.

I know there is a limit on the amount of scholarship money a student can receive. I don't know how much it is, but I would think that a full scholarship would be as close to that limit as the rules allow.
                          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

• What position David Kyles is playing? I assumed PG?
                            His stats don't look like those of SG :roll:
                            Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

• According to the first description of him back in July (and everything I've read since) Kyles is a shooting guard.
                              Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

• Scholarships

789, I believe freshman scholarship athletes in full-ride sports such as basketball and football are required to be on athletic scholarship (if a university gives them, that is (as some schools -- e.g., those in the Ivy League do not).

Someone please feel free to correct me if that's not true -- as if I needed to say so -- but I believe that subject has been discussed on here before.

Comment

Working...
                                X