Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost like another Kenny Manigault

Comment

• This proves why we should put our trust in hcgm. Even if we all think a player is good for our program, he knows. We don't. That's why WSU has the program that it does. Thank goodness none of us are the coaches or recruiters. Noel here would've probably ended the same way.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
        This proves why we should put our trust in hcgm. Even if we all think a player is good for our program, he knows. We don't. That's why WSU has the program that it does. Thank goodness none of us are the coaches or recruiters. Noel here would've probably ended the same way.
        3G wanted Noel. He reached out to Noel, but Noel wasn't interested since Turgeon didn't make an effort. Had 3G been here a year earlier, we may have landed Noel, who knows... I believe with the right coaching he would have been fine. Clemson and Auburn aren't the best basketball schools around.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          3G wanted Noel. He reached out to Noel, but Noel wasn't interested since Turgeon didn't make an effort. Had 3G been here a year earlier, we may have landed Noel, who knows... I believe with the right coaching he would have been fine. Clemson and Auburn aren't the best basketball schools around.
          Noel and family thought they were better than WSU. That's all I needed to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Noel and family thought they were better than WSU. That's all I needed to know.
            What makes you say that. From everything I heard, Cheese would have loved for Noel to attend WSU but wasn't going to force him that way. The door was always open but Turgeon just wouldn't walk through because Noel was too good for us in his mind. One of the first things 3G did was call up the Johnsons but at that point the recruiting damage had been done and Noel was looking elsewhere. Has nothing to do with thinking he was too good for us. We (Turgeon) simply didn't attempt to recruit him. Why the hell would he be interested in a school that hadn't tried very hard?
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

What makes you say that. From everything I heard, Cheese would have loved for Noel to attend WSU but wasn't going to force him that way. The door was always open but Turgeon just wouldn't walk through because Noel was too good for us in his mind. One of the first things 3G did was call up the Johnsons but at that point the recruiting damage had been done and Noel was looking elsewhere. Has nothing to do with thinking he was too good for us. We (Turgeon) simply didn't attempt to recruit him. Why the hell would he be interested in a school that hadn't tried very hard?
              Ummm.....new coach, new attitude. Can't blame "the school" for MT's shortcomings. As far as I'm concerned, if they ever did have any real interest in papa's alma mater, they would have given WSU another chance and Marshall a good look. They didn't, so they must have felt that BCS bottomfeeders were more important.

This isn't sour grapes. I believe we are much better off today because he didn't come. I'm glad Hatch got the playing time he did and that other players we had like Murry and Kyles got their time. I think Big Ben was superior to Noel and would we have gotten Early and/or Wiggins if Noel was here?

Yes, Noel was looking elsewhere. That appears to be a pattern of his. Hindsight, I think he may be a bit of a head case. I have no facts, just my gut as I've watched his college career. I hope he gets back in with Auburn and lights it up next year.

Comment

• Few recruits let a school/coach in that late in the process. I don't know how interested Noel was, but I'm certain Cheese was very interested. But that late in the game, you can't really blame a recruit for focusing on those who'd been on him the longest. Much like FVV, he had suiters come in very late in the game but went with those who'd been on him the whole time. It has nothing to do with looking over or past a certain school.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Few recruits let a school/coach in that late in the process. I don't know how interested Noel was, but I'm certain Cheese was very interested. But that late in the game, you can't really blame a recruit for focusing on those who'd been on him the longest. Much like FVV, he had suiters come in very late in the game but went with those who'd been on him the whole time. It has nothing to do with looking over or past a certain school.
                  It may seem like we're on totally different positions on this, but we're really not. I've been responding to some of your answers, somewhat sarcastically, because I believe the answer was not due to what MT did or did not do. Yes, Cheese was interested, but Noel never really was. Cheese has shown to be very supportive of his son, maybe too much, and I didn't expect him to push Noel our way. As much as I've ripped MT on some issues, I don't believe he pulled a Cohen and just ignored something that was right under his nose. MT didn't apply any real effort because he felt, or was told, that it was very long odds, probably a lot longer than Ellis (and Ellis was local, so it was smart for HCGM to spend lots of time). I think HCGM had to reach out and test the waters with Noel. I believe he found the same thing and, maybe by that time, it appeared to be due to his interest in other long term suitors. That said, I think Cheese's career at WSU, along with a new, successful coach who wanted Noel, would be an excellent exception to the "few rercruits let a school/coach in that late in the process". It just didn't matter.

I never thought we'd get Noel and didn't begrudge his choice. However, I'm surprised that if you knew Clemson and Auburn weren't that good of basketball programs (that's what you meant), why would Noel and Cheese pick them? Noel was going to play BCS basketball, period. Nothing wrong with that. Since that time, things have happen in Noel's career that make me feel that now its more than just my neutral postition on Noel's choice not to come here, but I believe a positive one that he didn't. Some of that due to Noel, more of it due to those players that were/are here. I was content back when he didn't come here, I'm more than content now.

Comment

• Fair enough. All I'll say is from what I'd heard at the time, the Johnsons were very disappointed that Turgeon didn't put any effort into recruiting Noel. That may be more from Cheese than Noel, I don't remember exactly as it's been a while. But Turgeon was never told that Noel wasn't interested in WSU. Turgeon made it appear that he wasn't interested in investing any time into Noel.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• After all this it looks like MT was right not to waste his time.
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

Fair enough. All I'll say is from what I'd heard at the time, the Johnsons were very disappointed that Turgeon didn't put any effort into recruiting Noel. That may be more from Cheese than Noel, I don't remember exactly as it's been a while. But Turgeon was never told that Noel wasn't interested in WSU. Turgeon made it appear that he wasn't interested in investing any time into Noel.
                        Fair enough, indeed. If you are correct, then I have another reason to be PO'd about MT even if, hindsight, I agree with @wu_shizzle:.

Comment

• Not that you need another addition to your discussion, but I did seem Cheese saying in an interview with a local reporter that Noel '' was interested in playing against the best'' (therefore Clemson at the time).

Comment

• I think some kids are just bad kids, and some other kids might turn out ok, given the proper leadership.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                              Not that you need another addition to your discussion, but I did seem Cheese saying in an interview with a local reporter that Noel '' was interested in playing against the best'' (therefore Clemson at the time).
                              I thought I read somewhere that god-odum-god was the best.

Anyone ever think that MT passed on him because of attitude.....

Comment

• Pay back for scorn.
                                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                                X