No announcement yet.

Perry Ellis- Decision to KU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For some reason, I thought the Illinois team won that game versus our superstars?
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Sorry FSF...as my kids tell me all the time "I have slept since then." Your correct. I remember it as though its was yest.....31 years ago (ha). The point was Ross was a special HS talent. Too bad he fizzled out!!!

Comment

• I was not present at that game but wish I had it on tape. It sounds as the the lead changed so often that it would indeed escape a "fellow Shocker fan" as to who won. Ricky Ross was a "lights out" shooter and scorer at South High. If I recall, a gentleman that made a living evaluating high school talent believed Mr. Ross was the best high school player in the land, way back in the day. Him and Mr. Carr had some wars on the hardwood. It was my dream for Ricky Ross to be a Shock. Instead, he first signed with K-who? It seems RR stated the Shocks at that time of having "too much family" aboard to sign here. He was probably referring to Randy Smithson and Mike Jones--(the KU killer at the "Battle Of New Orleans."). Believe me, we would have to MAKE room for a Ricky Ross if he wanted to take the opportunity serious. It seems like he later came here but I know he never made it to the floor in a Shocker game as a Shock, and ended up at Tulsa instead to later play against Karl Papke and company. The rest is history.

Comment

• Was at South with RR...saw every game he played...so many good memories. Who's who of coaches marched through Bill Himebaugh's athletic office (Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Ted Owens, Jack Hartman, Jud Heathcote, Ray Meyer, Dale Brown, Eddie Sutton, Dave Bliss...).

Comment

• Many moons ago, I ran into Dale Brown at Disney. Not being at all shy, I spoke with him about the (Elite 8--I think) game versus his LSU team. He remembered every player on our starting lineup. Did we not have to play that game on their court, or at least in their own back yard? Dale Brown loves the game and it was a delight to talk hoops with him.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan
              Many moons ago, I ran into Dale Brown at Disney. Not being at all shy, I spoke with him about the (Elite 8--I think) game versus his LSU team. He remembered every player on our starting lineup. Did we not have to play that game on their court, or at least in their own back yard? Dale Brown loves the game and it was a delight to talk hoops with him.
              Yep, it was in their backyard at the Superdome and WstateU was there... Tiger Bait! Tiger Bait!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I was just a 17 year-old runt when a saw him at South HS, but he came off as a genuine, kind man.

Speaking of Dale Brown, I think it was the year after the elite 8...nationally televised game at LSU. We trailed most of the game. I think Carr was in foul trouble most of the game. LSU tried to air it out (before shot clock). We got a bucket late and won by one I think.

If I am not mistaken our front line included Carr, Levingston & Dreiling. Cheating sucks...what that could have looked like a year later with Sherrod, McDaniel & company!!!

Comment

• yikes!!!! Here kitty kitty kitty!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXMVC
                    I was just a 17 year-old runt when a saw him at South HS, but he came off as a genuine, kind man.

Speaking of Dale Brown, I think it was the year after the elite 8...nationally televised game at LSU. We trailed most of the game. I think Carr was in foul trouble most of the game. LSU tried to air it out (before shot clock). We got a bucket late and won by one I think.

If I am not mistaken our front line included Carr, Levingston & Dreiling. Cheating sucks...what that could have looked like a year later with Sherrod, McDaniel & company!!!
                    Check out the Video of old WSU Men's Hoop game thread over in the Men's Basketball forum. There's a link to that WSU vs LSU game from 1982.

Comment

• Thanks for helping out the newby 1979Shocker!!!

Comment

• Val Barnes was another great from Wichita that doesn't get much run. He had a really nice career at Iowa and played int he NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan
                          Val Barnes was another great from Wichita that doesn't get much run. He had a really nice career at Iowa and played int he NBA.
                          I know this is a thread about Perry Ellis, but let me digress. Although my memory used to be better (birthdays are a memory-impaired bummer) let me throw out some (I know I will miss some, so help is needed) of the outstanding basketball players from the City League schools and where they went to college:

South - Ricky Ross (WSU, Cal Jr. Coll., Tulsa), Eddie Smith (Arizona), Marcus Ziegler (KSU), Steve Woodberry (KU), B.J. Williams (KU), Darrin Williams (WSU), Johnny Murdock (SWMS, now Mizz St.), Val Barnes (Butler CC, Iowa), Manny Dies (KSU).

Heights - Darnell Valentine (KU), Antoine Carr (WSU), James Carr (Hutch CC, WSU), Aubrey Sherrod (WSU), Henry Carr (WSU), Doc Holden (I think Illinois), Terry Atwater (WSU), Darren Dreiffort (WSU...yes, a very good basketball player).

KMC - Greg Dreiling (WSU, KU), Eric Kuhn (WSU)

West - Karl Papke (WSU), Kent Hill (Iowa)

East - Cleo Littleton (WSU), Kelly Pete (WSU), Jamie Thompson (WSU), Terry Benton (WSU), Ed Southern (WSU), Clint Normore (WSU), Adrian Griffin (Seaton Hall), Korleone Young (what a waste of talent), Taj Gray (Hutch CC, OU)

North - Gaylon Nickerson (Bulter CC, WSU, KSU, NW OK St.), Tony Johnson (WSU), Brandon Polk (Butler)

Southeast - Jim Givens (WSU), Bubba Shaffe (Wyoming)

Bishop Carroll - Craig Steven

Northwest - I cant remember his name...played at KU, about 6-9, lefty in 1980's

As I said, I know I missed some, but this could be fun!!!

Comment

• I think Jim Givens went to Nickerson HS. Driefert was the 5th man on a Heights team that many feel was the most talented team in city league history. I think all five starters played D-1. Cortez Barnes, was the most notable. A teammate played at St Bonnie, one at ISU red, too long ago. Need help.

Comment

• It's starting to come back to me. Thanks pinstripers. Forgot about Cortez Barnes...6-7 good jumper, played at Hutch Juco, then helped Bruce Pearl win a national championship in D-2 at Southern Indiana. Also played professionally over seas I think. Left us a couple of years ago, died in a car accident.

Also from that great Heights team of about 1990 was David Norwood, Demitri Markham and Kobie Stokes. I think they fell just short a couple of times at the state tourny...never won it.

Comment

• I think Brian Martin was the NW guy that went to KU a couple of decades ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X