No announcement yet.

Isaac Humphries 7'0" 245, 2016 to Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were full when we made our first run at him, so obviously someone here wasn't going to get their scholarship. At this point, can a scholarship still be withdrawn from one of our players if he switches back to us and reclassifies to this season?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
      We were full when we made our first run at him, so obviously someone here wasn't going to get their scholarship. At this point, can a scholarship still be withdrawn from one of our players if he switches back to us and reclassifies to this season?
      No, that is the big difference. The players are enrolled and officially on the roster.

Comment

• So, does UK have a later start date than WSU? Or do the student/athletes not have to be enrolled by the time classes start? At some point there has to be a drop dead date where he wouldn't be able to enroll until at least 2nd semester.
        "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
          So, does UK have a later start date than WSU? Or do the student/athletes not have to be enrolled by the time classes start? At some point there has to be a drop dead date where he wouldn't be able to enroll until at least 2nd semester.
          I think there is a certain period that a student can enroll past the official start date (not for sure the exact date), but I know when I was in college people would join several weeks after a class started. If UK still has an available scholarship and he gets admitted late, I believe he can still offer it to him. Since we don't have one available he still COULD come here, but he would have to walk on. The scholarships can no longer be pulled ..... nor would we WANT to no matter who is trying to enroll, that would just be horribly wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            Since we don't have one available he still COULD come here, but he would have to walk on. The scholarships can no longer be pulled ..... nor would we WANT to no matter who is trying to enroll, that would just be horribly wrong.
            Exactly right, Stickboy.

This is one of the silly things about Internet speculation. We can assume WSU was trying to convince Humphries to enroll this year on scholarship and that they had a plan for how they'd deal with it if he was able to reclassify and come, all of which is plausible -- and perfectly legitimate until the players are enrolled -- but do we actually know that? Isn't it possible that they were looking ahead to 2016-17 all along?

Personally, I'm willing to assume that Marshall and his staff wouldn't pull a scholarship from a player to whom they had given one and who wasn't voluntarily leaving or being dismissed for some legitimate cause just because some potentially better recruit came along, but I don't know that -- I just believe they're reputable and ethical. But in the real world, even apart from any ethical considerations -- and, again, I personally don't believe the WSU coaches operate apart from ethical considerations -- can you imagine what fodder for negative recruiting it would be to dump someone in such circumstances? WSU has enough challenges competing with the P5 without also giving themselves a name as disreputable.

Yet lots of posters on here have speculated about that sort of behavior, because we're outsiders on the Internet rather than insiders who actually have to run and maintain a program.

Comment

• Eric Hamilton was asked/told to go to Sunrise to make room for Rauno Nurger last year. It was before enrollment, so acceptable, but we kind of blew by the ethics of it. I think it seemed reasonable since Hamilton was okay with it (outwardly at least).

A couple of years prior, Joe Mitchell walked on under the impression that he would receive a scholarship the following year. He did not and was displeased.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Neither of those cases -- both of which involve your own spin in presenting them unless you were personally involved in some way that gives you a degree of knowledge that seems unlikely for a Shockernet poster -- has ever given me the slightest pause about the Shocker coaching staff's ethics. Hamilton confirmed, and also saw for himself, that he wasn't yet ready for prime time during the previous summer; he had every reason to believe he'd benefit from a year at Sunrise. And who knows what was the basis for Mitchell's apparent belief (or hope, or wishful thinking, as the case may be). Mitchell also didn't stick around to see what he might be able to earn.

They certainly don't remotely resemble messing with the roster of enrolled players for another recruit unless there's something ALREADY worked out as a Humphries contingency plan (assuming such a thing is even possible), and of course that's the kind of thing none of us would ever know about until after the fact, if it ever happened. That's really my point -- there's a lot of frankly uninformed and semi-informed speculation on here, as there is on all Internet boards (some probably far worse than this one), about what may or may not be going on, or might happen, in a given case such as with Humphries.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                  Neither of those cases -- both of which involve your own spin in presenting them unless you were personally involved in some way that gives you a degree of knowledge that seems unlikely for a Shockernet poster -- has ever given me the slightest pause about the Shocker coaching staff's ethics. Hamilton confirmed, and also saw for himself, that he wasn't yet ready for prime time during the previous summer; he had every reason to believe he'd benefit from a year at Sunrise. And who knows what was the basis for Mitchell's apparent belief (or hope, or wishful thinking, as the case may be). Mitchell also didn't stick around to see what he might be able to earn.

They certainly don't remotely resemble messing with the roster of enrolled players for another recruit unless there's something ALREADY worked out as a Humphries contingency plan (assuming such a thing is even possible), and of course that's the kind of thing none of us would ever know about until after the fact, if it ever happened. That's really my point -- there's a lot of frankly uninformed and semi-informed speculation on here, as there is on all Internet boards (some probably far worse than this one), about what may or may not be going on, or might happen, in a given case such as with Humphries.
                  Now hold on there. I didn't put any spin on what I said and in fact only presented known facts as presented by Sullentrop. I said nothing about its ethical merit; only that we didn't give much pause to discuss whether or not it was ethical. All you did was present the exact same things I said in your own words with your take on the ethics of it.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• But speculation leads to conspiracy theories, and conspiracy theories are fun!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      Eric Hamilton was asked/told to go to Sunrise to make room for Rauno Nurger last year. It was before enrollment, so acceptable, but we kind of blew by the ethics of it. I think it seemed reasonable since Hamilton was okay with it (outwardly at least).

A couple of years prior, Joe Mitchell walked on under the impression that he would receive a scholarship the following year. He did not and was displeased.
                      The way this is stated creates an implication of cause and effect that cannot be backed up by any credible source. You've made it sound like...because WSU was going to sign Nurger, Hamilton was asked/told to go to Sunrise. I've run into nothing that makes that any more credible than...because Hamilton decided to go to Sunrise, a scholarship became available that was given to Nurger.

there is quite a bit of difference in ethics in those 2 scenarios.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I am not AT ALL disagreeing with the thought that our staff would and will act in the more ethical way possible. That being said, I do have a question for someone that has more knowledge than I do (I know, that's not a stretch). Obviously, we, along with everybody else offer more recruits than we are able to land, and more than we have scholarships available for. If someone is a "priority recruit", but someone else of the same position or need, commits to you first, then does the "priority recruits" offer get pulled? Or does it remain on the table? If the priority recruit ends up committing to you as well, then are you "stuck" with both, or are you able at that point in time to tell the non priority recruit that his position is no longer available?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
                          So, does UK have a later start date than WSU? Or do the student/athletes not have to be enrolled by the time classes start? At some point there has to be a drop dead date where he wouldn't be able to enroll until at least 2nd semester.
                          For the record, it looks like Kentucky's first day of classes is Wednesday, August 26th. Not sure when the cut off for being enrolled is though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                            For the record, it looks like Kentucky's first day of classes is Wednesday, August 26th. Not sure when the cut off for being enrolled is though.
                            For basketball players? Probably sometime in early November.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              The way this is stated creates an implication of cause and effect that cannot be backed up by any credible source. You've made it sound like...because WSU was going to sign Nurger, Hamilton was asked/told to go to Sunrise. I've run into nothing that makes that any more credible than...because Hamilton decided to go to Sunrise, a scholarship became available that was given to Nurger.

there is quite a bit of difference in ethics in those 2 scenarios.
                              Hamilton, a freshman forward from Duluth, Ga., said he signed with WSU in November understanding coaches might ask him to take a season at a prep school. When WSU landed center Rauno Nurger, also from Sunrise, in June, it put the program one scholarship over the NCAA limit of 13. Hamilton’s move to Sunrise, located in Bel Aire, solves coach Gregg Marshall’s numbers crunch.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/news/article1155177.html#storylink=cpy

Perhaps this reads differently to you than it does to me.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Getting back to Humphries, did anyone else catch the story in Wednesday's Pardon the Interruption about Calipari and an unnamed other coach having a war of words about Calipari swooping in at the 11th hour to after a recruit the other coach had been after for a long time? It was around the 10:45 mark IIRC. Don't know how to link so will leave that so the more technically inclined. But in any case, when I heard that, it sounded familiar. Anyone know who the story is about?

Comment

Working...
                                X