Isaac Humphries 7'0" 245, 2016 to Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Coach usually ain't too much on somebody who goes back on his word.
    Was it he went back on his word or we could not get him qualified that quick? Some schools might offer a summer 30 minute "basket weaving class" to qualify a player where we take education for players very seriously here and obey the rules to the letter of the law. Not that many players make a living playing basketball after College. WSU wants to prepare our athletes to be ready to face the world successfully when they leave here. Other Programs may offer lip service but put winning games above and beyond educating. I'm not sure what really happened here at all but our Coaching Staff does and will proceed accordingly. If all is cool, I would love to sign this player as a Shock. Delayed roof raising is allowed. If not, we will find us some Juco bigs and keep on winning because raising the roof is what we do, even if we do it in stages.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
      Was it he went back on his word or we could not get him qualified that quick? Some schools might offer a summer 30 minute "basket weaving class" to qualify a player where we take education for players very seriously here and obey the rules to the letter of the law. Not that many players make a living playing basketball after College. WSU wants to prepare our athletes to be ready to face the world successfully when they leave here. Other Programs may offer lip service but put winning games above and beyond educating. I'm not sure what really happened here at all but our Coaching Staff does and will proceed accordingly. If all is cool, I would love to sign this player as a Shock. Delayed roof raising is allowed. If not, we will find us some Juco bigs and keep on winning because raising the roof is what we do, even if we do it in stages.
      We were not sure if we could get him qualified. During the "not sure" portion of the recruiting he committed to UK. Later, he qualified. That's all that I am aware of.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• IIRC, he committed to come to Wichita the following season, since no power on earth could get him reclassified.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
          We were not sure if we could get him qualified. During the "not sure" portion of the recruiting he committed to UK. Later, he qualified. That's all that I am aware of.
          In Marshall we trust on such matters. We will need some bigs when Kelly, Shaq, Nurger, Willis, and Brown all graduate next Season at the same time and we Will sign some good ones. We also lose Smith and CF. Wow!! That is a lot of solid players!!!!!!! Sounds like playing time opportunities for the best of the best we can sign. PT opportunities speak volumes to recruits.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            IIRC, he committed to come to Wichita the following season, since no power on earth could get him reclassified.
            I'd put it this way. No morally legit, rule abiding, integrity inspired institutions were able to get him reclassified. Only one with an endless bag of tricks and the proven track record of successfully getting around things in the name of getting the very best players year after year could pull it off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              Also makes it considerably less likely that we will be an open door for his transfer considerations IMO.

Young man screwed the pooch when he made that choice.
              I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. Of course, I wasn't in the room or part of the process, but it seems to me that Marshall wouldn't close the door on the young man should he want to transfer to WSU. IIRC, Marshall heavily recruited Malcolm who chose Oregon over Wichita State but welcomed Malcolm when he realized he wanted to finish his senior season in Wichita. And didn't 3G heavily recruit Conner? I may have both of this instances way wrong but I wouldn't think Gregg would automatically close the door to someone who he believes can help his team. And the timing would actually be pretty good. He would have to sit out a year during which we wouldn't have a scholarship anyway and would be eligible for both a scollie and play in 2018 when we will have the need for another talented big man.

To the last point, I don't know if he's as talented as projected or if he would work out in the black and yellow but it's fun to speculate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                I don't know that I necessarily agree with this. Of course, I wasn't in the room or part of the process, but it seems to me that Marshall wouldn't close the door on the young man should he want to transfer to WSU. IIRC, Marshall heavily recruited Malcolm who chose Oregon over Wichita State but welcomed Malcolm when he realized he wanted to finish his senior season in Wichita. And didn't 3G heavily recruit Conner? I may have both of this instances way wrong but I wouldn't think Gregg would automatically close the door to someone who he believes can help his team. And the timing would actually be pretty good. He would have to sit out a year during which we wouldn't have a scholarship anyway and would be eligible for both a scollie and play in 2018 when we will have the need for another talented big man.

To the last point, I don't know if he's as talented as projected or if he would work out in the black and yellow but it's fun to speculate.
                I agree with the premise of the argument, but the big difference is that he verballed to WSU...the others did not. Breaking your word vs losing to another school might not sit well with Gregg.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• I'm not sure if I'm failing to emphasize the proper point here or what - my statement was that if Humphries gave us a verbal and then reneged thereafter, the odds of Gregg saying "sure, all aboard" to the kid go down dramatically. Disagree? By all means, go ahead, but citing other transfers who didn't slit our throat in the initial recruiting process is unpersuasive

Comment

• It was all for the best, trust me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                      I'm not sure if I'm failing to emphasize the proper point here or what - my statement was that if Humphries gave us a verbal and then reneged thereafter, the odds of Gregg saying "sure, all aboard" to the kid go down dramatically. Disagree? By all means, go ahead, but citing other transfers who didn't slit our throat in the initial recruiting process is unpersuasive
                      I was missing the bit about his verbal agreement to play for us. But I also distinctly remember lots of discussion regarding his eligibility status and the fact that the NCAA mysteriously granted that eligibility status once UK stepped in. I'm not sure that the young man had any control over that but your point is well taken. I suppose my thought on this is that 3G wouldn't necessarily begrudge someone due to the inconsistency of the NCAA and its relationship with the P5 conferences.

Comment

• Malcolm was a totally different situation. He played for Greg Heiar who worked for Chris Jans at juco so there was some trust built up.

Comment

• Rauno = better than humphries

Comment

• Hard pass.

Comment

• what has humphries even done as a player this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                                what has humphries even done as a player this year?
                                One could make the same argument about Conner at KU. I'm not advocating Humphries either way, just saying your argument has holes.

Comment

Working...
                                X