DeShawn Freeman - '15 6-7 F, to Rutgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeShawn Freeman - '15 6-7 F, to Rutgers

DeShawn Freeman is a 6'7 freshman F at Hutch who put up a line of 26 pts (9/15 FG, 8/13 FT), 11 rebounds, and 8 assists. This is on a team with Arizona commit Kadeem Allen (PG) and 6'10 Cincinatti commit Coreonte DeBerry. He was just named Jayhawk Conference co-player of the week.

Over Hutch's first two games he's averaging 20.5 points, 9.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists.

ESPN did a short piece on him last year. His brother Darius is also on the Hutch roster.

With Carter, Morris and Kelly in the mix I'm not sure WSU will have a need to bring in a juco F (roster defections notwithstanding), but he'll be a local player to keep an eye on.

This Saturday night (Nov 9) Butler visits #4 Hutch for a 7:30 early-season rivalry game. GA tickets are just $1.

Some tweets from a couple of months ago indicate that Arizona, Cinci and SMU plan to take a look at him while at Hutch.

Had an offer from Memphis, with high interest from NC State and Pitt before it became clear he wasn't going to qualify. Then he chose Hutch over NWF and Chipola.
    Last edited by RoyalShock; November 6, 2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

A post on the VCU board from Dec 2011 says WSU was one of many schools (all from the east/southest region of the country) looking at him at the time. Interesting that he came out here to play instead of going to NWF or Chipola. Considering Hurt and Chandler at NWF, maybe it was due to immediate playing time.

Comment

You would think if anyone here should know to use the search feature, it's me.

Comment

I went and watched Hutch vs. Butler tonight. Freeman had 20 off the bench. He's VERY active, athletic and looks comfortable handling the ball. A few careless passes but I was impressed. Once he checked in he stayed in. Kadeem Allen is the real deal. 29 pts, 11 assists. Coreonte DeBerry, the 6'10 Cincinnati commit didn't impress me at all. I don't see him getting much PT there.

Comment

@JucoRecruiting: DeShawn Freeman (6-7/2015/Hutch) has come back strong from a mid-season injury. Averaging 15.9ppg & 6rpg. One of top JC freshman in country
            In the fast lane

Comment

He hurt himself again two games ago while helping up a teammate. Not sure how serious it is.

Comment

Just how good is he, Royal?

Comment

He's very good. Think Cleanthony Early, but without the outside shot.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                    He's very good. Think Cleanthony Early, but without the outside shot.
                    Maybe Cheese Johnson or Jamar Howard?

Comment

I never saw Cheese play, so I can't compare to him. But I'd put Freeman ahead of Jamar. More skilled, better ball-handler, slightly more athletic (and a few inches taller). Jamar had some intangibles, like drawing off-ball fouls and getting into player's heads that are hard to quantify. And he developed a 3-point shot as a senior. Those are the only areas where I'd give the nod to Howard over Freeman.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        I never saw Cheese play, so I can't compare to him. But I'd put Freeman ahead of Jamar. More skilled, better ball-handler, slightly more athletic (and a few inches taller). Jamar had some intangibles, like drawing off-ball fouls and getting into player's heads that are hard to quantify. And he developed a 3-point shot as a senior. Those are the only areas where I'd give the nod to Howard over Freeman.
                        Cheese >>>>> Jamar...

Cheese was CLE good... Maybe X good..
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                          Cheese >>>>> Jamar...

Cheese was CLE good... Maybe X good..
                          I would say close to X good.

Comment

Yes, I was comparing their playing styles, not their level of talent. Cheese was just below an All American (maybe HM AA). He was All MVC when the MVC was good. Cheese was an undersized but still great 6'5 PF who was a very good athlete. very good rebounder, had great inside scoring moves but wasn't a very good outside shooter until his Senior year. Jamar wasthe same type of player, a very nice defender, but he probably was a second team MVC'r his Senior year.

Comment

Freeman has set up a visit to Arizona State.

It was announced today that he will be joined at Hutch by former USC commit Jabari Craig, a 3-star, 6'11" center, after he failed to qualify. Craig had a lot of offers from schools such as K-State, Purdue, Maryland, Arizona State and Marquette. Hutch will have a formidable interior this year, it seems.

Comment

Working...
                              X