No announcement yet.

Andrew Wiggins Class of 2013 to KU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you guys are crazy. Allegedly the best high school player since Lebron and you think we're better off without him? Please. Everyone would have been crowing form the rooftops had he picked WSU. We haven't even had a McD AA since the early 80's let alone the #1 recruit in the entire continent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhatigan View Post
      Doesn't he have another brother that is only two hours away from Florida State?
      Four to five, but yeah.

To be honest, I think he might have seriously considered Wichita State if Nick was a clear starter at the 2 next season. Nick's going to be fighting for playing time next season with Baker/Wessel/Cotton all clearly ahead of him at the 2/3, and Andrew would never have wanted to hurt his minutes.

I was wondering if he would have come to FSU if Nick was there (I actually learned that ACC rules prevent schools from taking JUCO players who went to multiple JUCOs in the two seasons prior to moving to D1, which explains why FSU never offered him), but I think the minutes thing would have hurt there, as well. Nick could be a starter at the 3 for FSU next year, but not if Andrew came, obviously. And Nick wouldn't start over Ian Miller at the 2.

As for the rest of this ... I really don't think ethics has as much place in college basketball recruiting as we'd like to pretend it does.
      Last edited by Rlh04d; May 16, 2013, 01:59 PM.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• I was curious about the post-season success rate of players ranked #1 by Rivals and Scout since the NBA changed it's entry rules in 2005. Here are the results:

Rivals: Andrew Wiggins – KU (?)
        Scout: Andrew Wiggins – KU (?)

Rivals: Shabazz Muhammad – UCLA (NCAA – lost 1st round)
        Scout: Nerlens Noel – UK (NIT)

Rivals: Austin Rivers – Duke (NCAA – lost 1st round)
        Scout: Anthony Davis – UK (NCAA – National Champs)

Rivals: Josh Selby – KU (NCAA – Elite Eight)
        Scout: Harrison Barnes – NC (NCAA – Elite Eight)

Rivals: John Wall – UK (NCAA – Elite Eight)
        Scout: Derrick Favors – Georgia Tech (NCAA – Round of 32)

Rivals: B.J. Mullens – OSU (NCAA – lost in 1st round)
        Scout: Brandon Jennings – Overseas (NA)

Rivals: Michael Beasley – KSU (NCAA – Round of 32)
        Scout: O.J. Mayo – USC (NCAA – lost in 1st round)

Rivals: Greg Oden – OSU (NCAA – National Runner-Up)
        Scout: Greg Oden – OSU (NCAA – National Runner-Up)

Results by Frequency:
        NCAA - Lost in 1st round (4)
        NCAA - Elite Eight (3)
        NCAA - Round of 32 (2)
        NCAA - National Champions (1)
        NCAA - National Runner Up (1)
        NIT (1)

In addition, I looked to see how many top 5 and top 10 freshman the national champion had for each of those recruiting classes.

2013 - Louisville
        Top 5 - 0 Rivals, 0 Scout
        Top 10 - 0 Rivals, 0 Scout
        2012 - Kentucky
        Top 5 - 3 Rivals, 1 Scout
        Top 10 - 3 Rivals, 3 Scout
        2011 - UCONN
        2010 - Duke
        2009 - North Carolina
        Top 10 - 0 Rivals, 1 Scout
        2008 - Kansas
        2007 - Florida

All but 1 national champion since 2007 has had 0 top 5 freshmen on their roster, and outside of UK in 2012 only UNC in 2009 had a top 10 freshman (who was #10 by Scout and outside of the top 10 by Rivals).

The 2012 Kentucky team is the only team to win the national championship with the #1 freshman in the nation or with any top 5 freshmen. On the other hand, Kentucky 2013 showed the boom or bust nature of UK's approach.

In other words, getting an Andrew Wiggins for 1 year is no surefire way to get a National Championship, since most National Champs since the NBA rule change have relied on developing veterans rather than on one and done freshmen.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

It's easy to say that now but if it was a real possibility he would come here you'd change your mind. Cognitive dissonance is a *****.
          I wouldn't be happy about it either, and you can take your psychobabble somewhere else -- maybe start up a chat with the other guys who like to pat themselves on the back for "keeping it real."
          Last edited by WSUwatcher; May 16, 2013, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            I wouldn't be happy about it either, and you can take your psychobabble somewhere else -- maybe start up a chat with the other guys who like to pat themselves on the back for "keeping it real.".
            The good thing though is that "real recognize real."
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Very interesting study, Hatter. I'm guessing the folks who have Kentucky booked for next year's championship game and KU suddenly a Final Four contender haven't looked at it in such depth. And in fairness, there is 2012, which Kentucky has somehow actually exceeded this year in terms of talent signed -- can it all jell for them again?

Comment

Would anyone on this board care if we gave Wiggins' dad an assistant position in exchange for his son to play here? I wouldn't.
                Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                I would.
                Originally posted by Rhatigan View Post
                It's easy to say that now but if it was a real possibility he would come here you'd change your mind. Cognitive dissonance is a *****.
                To believe you know my mind better than I do, would seem to indicate you are suffering from Delusions of Grandeur. You are arrogant, self-absorbed, and WRONG. By the way, which player should 3G kick off the team to make room for Wiggins? And which Assistant Coach should 3G fire to make room for Wiggins father? And how much damage would 3G be doing to his reputation and OUR basketball program by exhibiting such a high level of disloyalty to his players and assistant coaches? Issues I'm sure you don't give a damn about.
                "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• OK, so KU signs the next coming of LeBron James to what was already a storng recruiting class.

That being the case will anything short of a National Championship, or at least a Final Four appearance, next year for KU be a failure?

Comment

• Being KU is a failure.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                      Very interesting study, Hatter. I'm guessing the folks who have Kentucky booked for next year's championship game and KU suddenly a Final Four contender haven't looked at it in such depth. And in fairness, there is 2012, which Kentucky has somehow actually exceeded this year in terms of talent signed -- can it all jell for them again?
                      Are people really comparing him to LeBron? KU will be a Sweet 16 team.

Comment

Are people really comparing him to LeBron? KU will be a Sweet 16 team.
                        lebron? i would compare him to high-school jordan. ku's best signing since manning in '83 or whatever year it was. no doubt.

you ku fans should be greatful to wichita state, in a big way. i don't think he signs with ku if not for nick being at wichita state. now their parents can catch their games easily at two great institutions within a single state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                          Being KU is a failure.
                          As a [insert any noun here] I can confirm this
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Sorry for bumping a four week old thread about a recruit we didn't get, but I this article mentions us. Wiggins confirms all the stuff we guessed at saying that if he goes to KU it might be because his brother is in Wichita.
                            LAWRENCE, Kan. -- The Andrew Wiggins era at Kansas got underway Wednesday when the most hyped basketball prodigy since LeBron James drew 1,300 fans to Lawrence.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              OK, so KU signs the next coming of LeBron James to what was already a storng recruiting class.

That being the case will anything short of a National Championship, or at least a Final Four appearance, next year for KU be a failure?
                              Assuming UK's greatest recruiting class of all time wins the National Championship, KU can get the FF and not be considered a failure. Elite 8 is absolute minimum... this all assumes they would not meet UK until the FF.
                              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                                Assuming UK's greatest recruiting class of all time wins the National Championship, KU can get the FF and not be considered a failure. Elite 8 is absolute minimum... this all assumes they would not meet UK until the FF.
                                I remember when UK had an awesome recruiting class that lost to Robert Morris in the NIT

Comment

Working...
                                X