No announcement yet.

Mikey Saunders Jr. 6'0 PG Cincinnati Transfer to Cincinnati

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was not hard to notice this kid (obviously) the times we matched up this season.

He was underwhelming, to put it kindly. So was his team.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
      It was not hard to notice this kid (obviously) the times we matched up this season.

He was underwhelming, to put it kindly. So was his team.
      Maybe it was the style of play, lack of coaching, bad team chemistry?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Dan Dachich sure was in love with him.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShocker2006 View Post

Dan Dachich sure was in love with him.
          Well, that’s all I need to hear to really be out on him.

I’m mostly intrigued by Saunders because he is a freshman. Among the PG’s from Taylor’s article (Goldwire, Grant, Saunders) I don’t think he would be the best fit for next years team but he could be the PG of the future.

I didn’t see many of Cincinnati’s games and I watched zero of his HS games. The sample size from last year is small but not insignificant so I’m willing to see what he could develop into. Ultimately I kind of hope he goes to BYU but I don’t have much to base that on so I absolutely could be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Well, that’s all I need to hear to really be out on him.

I’m mostly intrigued by Saunders because he is a freshman. Among the PG’s from Taylor’s article (Goldwire, Grant, Saunders) I don’t think he would be the best fit for next years team but he could be the PG of the future.

I didn’t see many of Cincinnati’s games and I watched zero of his HS games. The sample size from last year is small but not insignificant so I’m willing to see what he could develop into. Ultimately I kind of hope he goes to BYU but I don’t have much to base that on so I absolutely could be wrong!
            I'm really curious to see how all of this transfer stuff shakes out. It really feels like the elite teams are going to be heavily transfer based. Unless a freshman is one and done quality, it might end up being more of a farm system style. Freshman go to lower tier teams then "transfer up" if they do well. I think we would likely fall into the upper tier, so we might be more heavily transfer focused. Which means things like him being a Freshman are less important if we can bring in a talented Junior or Senior every year or two

I hope it doesn't happen though because you will see the competitive balance start to get out of whack IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm really curious to see how all of this transfer stuff shakes out. It really feels like the elite teams are going to be heavily transfer based. Unless a freshman is one and done quality, it might end up being more of a farm system style. Freshman go to lower tier teams then "transfer up" if they do well. I think we would likely fall into the upper tier, so we might be more heavily transfer focused. Which means things like him being a Freshman are less important if we can bring in a talented Junior or Senior every year or two

I hope it doesn't happen though because you will see the competitive balance start to get out of whack IMO.
              Sure seems like that’s one way it could go. I would hate to see it play out that way.

My hope is that this is a temporary fad and eventually things will swing back the other direction or at least quiet down. Obviously hard to say if this year is going to be the exception or the rule considering it’s the first year of the new rule plus the Covid craziness.

Another thing to consider is the potential that the transfers might work in the opposite direction. As in, maybe some guys don’t get the playing time they want or aren’t happy for whatever reason and then end up moving down. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Comment

In all of that he didn't stand out. He looked to be an integral component of that wretched mess, from where I was sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by 12eagle View Post

All stats need context so here is some
                  Top turnover percentage seasons since 2002 for Wichita State
                  Graham Hatch 36.7
                  Adam Liberty 36.4
                  Noah Ferandes 35
                  Ehimeh 33.5
                  Wendall Predom 32.8
                  Demetric Williams 30.7

So Saunders season would rank as one of the worst turnover rates in the the Kenpom era. His assist to turnover ratio is 1-1 and he can't shoot. Yes he is a good defender although the advance defensive metrics show he is actually a mediocre defender but those can be highly dependent on your teammates around you.
                  I just don't get the love for this kid vs Goldwire or Grant.
                  1. Demetric Williams graduated with more wins than any other Shocker in history, only being passed by FVV. He does not get enough credit amongst the players that took us from solid to really good.

2. Tekele Cotton vs Creighton: 0-10 from 3. Would still take him back in a Shocker inform any day of the week.

3. One stat doesn’t describe a player. If it did, Chance Lindsey would have had many more offers. Lots of things come into play.

4. It’s a great day to be a Shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

1. Demetric Williams graduated with more wins than any other Shocker in history, only being passed by FVV. He does not get enough credit amongst the players that took us from solid to really good.

2. Tekele Cotton vs Creighton: 0-10 from 3. Would still take him back in a Shocker inform any day of the week.

3. One stat doesn’t describe a player. If it did, Chance Lindsey would have had many more offers. Lots of things come into play.

4. It’s a great day to be a Shocker.
                    Chance was a helluva shooter!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Chance was a helluva shooter!
                      And he got a lot of open looks running off 10 screens each possession
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

And he got a lot of open looks running off 10 screens each possession
                        Guess Marty Simmons missed on that one

Comment

SLIGHTLY important...

Previously, I thought there was no chance we would land Saunders due to him having to sit out compared to UNLV and BYU. Now... lotta ball game left.

Comment

Originally posted by SkoShox View Post

SLIGHTLY important...

Previously, I thought there was no chance we would land Saunders due to him having to sit out compared to UNLV and BYU. Now... lotta ball game left.
                            I think the NCAA is preparing to make this rule permanent as well, so the league is being proactive.

Comment

Good for us right now I guess. Only adds to the madness however

Comment

I think the NCAA is preparing to make this rule permanent as well, so the league is being proactive.
                                So pretty much every D-1 school will average about 6-7 transfers per year. Free agency in college athletics. Next will be "trades" and "franchise tags". Heck let's go ahead and put a salary cap in there as well.
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X