No announcement yet.

Shannon Shorter - To aTm - CC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next spring's signing period will be after the season ends and probably after some players who feel they need to be at a different school to get more playing time decide to leave the program (if, indeed, that happens).

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with continuing to recruit players when there may be a scholarship open up next Spring, so long as everyone knows the score. I think it would be negligent not to do so. I would also hope that we are very actively recruiting kids that might come in in two years.

How do we even know the offer to Barnes wasn't withdrawn when Bowles signed and/or when Hatch confirmed he was coming? We don't.

As I have posted many hundreds of times over the last ten (or so) years: trust the coaches.
    Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

I think you miss understood what he meant by recruiting kids that won't be here for two years. He's referring to a situation like Hatch and not kids who are sophmores and juniors in HS. Obviously we'll continue to get looks at them, but they're not going to commit to us when they're sophmores so it's not the same situation.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The thing with Hatch (the way I understood it) is that neither the player nor the school is obligated to honor the commitment after x-amount of time, which has passed, it is as I understood it a matter of our coaches honoring their extension of a scholarship to him. Which is a very classy thing to do when we could possibly sign a player that is possibly better than Hatch. That is how I understood it anyways.
        -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

And that is how it is.

The LOI is good for a year and that's it.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Thanks for understanding what I did not in the post about the two year issue.
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

I don't like this "recruiting kids who will come in two years" deal.
              There have been numerous success stories involving Mormon missionaries who come in 2 years down the road more physically/mentally/spiritually mature than upperclassman. I think everyone is grasping at straws with Hatch. If MT was willing to wait 2 years then he saw something.

Comment

I admire MT for keeping his word with Hatch however I certainly hope somebody went out recently to meet with him and watch him play. We don't want to fall prey to "lip service" in regards to the "I have been working out and playing with good players". I would evaluate Hatch and if he isn't at least as basketball-worthy as when I signed him I would say bye bye.

It's a great day when you are disappointing solid recruits because you have no space left for them!

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                  I would also hope that we are very actively recruiting kids that might come in in two years.
                  Recruiting high school freshmen, sophomores or juniors is normal for coaches. At the appropriate time, these student-athletes either sign a LOI or they don't. Signing a LOI and then waiting two years is where a problem occurs.
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I admire MT for keeping his word with Hatch however I certainly hope somebody went out recently to meet with him and watch him play.
                    It is my understanding that no visits are allowed during the 2 year mission. I recenetly made a business trip to SLC and an associate shared their mission experience with me. Basically they said they did their 2 years in California (I always envisioned a far away 3rd would country) and they never saw their family during that period.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu
                      I admire MT for keeping his word with Hatch however I certainly hope somebody went out recently to meet with him and watch him play.
                      It is my understanding that no visits are allowed during the 2 year mission. I recenetly made a business trip to SLC and an associate shared their mission experience with me. Basically they said they did their 2 years in California (I always envisioned a far away 3rd would country) and they never saw their family during that period.
                      It is my understanding that no visits are allowed during the 2 year mission. ...and they never saw their family during that period.
                      Sounds like a cult to me.. better stay away from the Koolaid Hatch! :umm:

T

...8)

Comment

• Shorter is absolutely lighting up Class 5A District 20 in Houston. Consensus is that he is the best player in that district. Wonder if we are still interested?
                        Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

• How about tryouts this summer, best 13 get schollies.
                          The rest can walk-on or find somewhere else to play.
                          I'm only half joking...
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

• Interest

I think WSU was always more than a little interested, but when Hatch decided to come MT felt like he had to honor his commitment to him instead (rightly so, in my view).

I'd be surprised if they had lost touch, and I'll bet they'd love to find a way to get him on board. I remember reading that they had suggested prep school, but Shorter didn't like the idea.

Comment

• Wonder how tall he actually is? Our lack of a swingman is glaring.

Comment

• Remember that we have two freshmen capable of having that role.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X