Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you support the return of football at WSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Came across these pics while browsing the web the other day. It made me sad. :(
    Attached Files

Comment

• Bring it back.

Comment

• What video game is that from?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Comment

• I support adding whatever sports necessary to not be in the Missouri Valley.

Comment

• I don't, because I can't imagine how it could fail to affect basketball adversely. Judging from this combo tweet from Paul S, it sounds like it could also hurt the geology department.

"3 voice mails regarding WSU football. One against football because it would help other sports. Two in favor, one from a man who has given his money to WSU's geology department instead of athletics since 1986"

I'd love to see WSU escape the Valley, but there are non-P5 conferences in which football participation is not a prerequisite. If sports have to be added for the sake of having sports, I'd prefer soccer (even though I find it boring and wouldn't attend), or wrestling, which has a strong midwestern fanbase. But there's just too much history against football success at WSU. Besides, Bill Snyder is about 90 years old at this point and probably wouldn't be inclined to try to work another miracle.

Comment

• Not til it's been studied fowards, backwards, sideways, complete with colonoscopy. This is a big, big decision to be made on facts, not emotions.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Former players chime in.

Comment

• Nope

Comment

• I get the conference realignment arguments for football, but I just haven't seen much evidence that it is a financially viable idea. There is a lot of money in college football, but it is controlled by a very small set of teams, and unless you are already one of them or able to ride their coat-tails by being in a Power 5 conference, you don't really have access to it. If you don't have a shot to be in a Power 5 conference, then I am skeptical that football wouldn't be a net drain on the athletic department.

That said, I am glad that Bardo has made it clear that competitive FBS is the only option under consideration. Too often in these conversations, the crowd in favor of football talks about FBS when talking up the benefits of football, but reverts to FCS numbers when talking about the cost. Making it clear that FBS is the goal is the only way to evaluate whether you can afford to start up a program.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• For the same money, a new premier basketball conference could be formed instead. A relegation conference with proportional spending requirements between the marquee sport (basketball) and all other sports.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                          I get the conference realignment arguments for football, but I just haven't seen much evidence that it is a financially viable idea. There is a lot of money in college football, but it is controlled by a very small set of teams, and unless you are already one of them or able to ride their coat-tails by being in a Power 5 conference, you don't really have access to it. If you don't have a shot to be in a Power 5 conference, then I am skeptical that football wouldn't be a net drain on the athletic department.

That said, I am glad that Bardo has made it clear that competitive FBS is the only option under consideration. Too often in these conversations, the crowd in favor of football talks about FBS when talking up the benefits of football, but reverts to FCS numbers when talking about the cost. Making it clear that FBS is the goal is the only way to evaluate whether you can afford to start up a program.
                          Somebody refresh my memory. Is it possible to start up at the FBS level?
                          In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                            Somebody refresh my memory. Is it possible to start up at the FBS level?
                            I believe new programs must start in FCS or lower.

Comment

• I would have to say I am very skeptical about bringing back football to WSU. Even assuming we could overcome the huge financial hurdles to bring football back at the FBS level I think as a practical matter it will be very difficult to attract enough quality players to fill a roster that would be competitive at the FBS level. However, I am keenly interested in seeing what this study will come up with regarding not only football at WSU but regarding our overall athletic program and conference affiliation.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 14, 2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X