Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't see why WSU can't field a football team already.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have stated this before and I still firmly believe that it is very likely that the Big 12 will expand to the Big 16 sometime in the next 10 to 20 years. This at least seems to be the way the BCS conferences have been going lately.

I further think it is most likely that Tulsa will be selected to obtain one of those four available expansion slots whenever the expansion occurs. SIU, Colorado State, Arkansas State, and one or more Texas schools would be in the running as well. And maybe, just maybe a Kansas school.

Based on WSU's long standing excellence in baseball, our re-newed basketball program, and outstanding performances in a host of men's and women's lesser sports (volleyball, golf, bowling, etc.), we should also be in the mix. Afterall, we have an outstanding overall sports program thanks to our AD, except for one obvious thing.

It ain't going to happen without a D-1 football team!

And it doesn't have to be a great football team. Based on our excellence in other sports, somewhere in the top 100 would likely work.

We presently play or have played many of the present member Big 12 schools in several sports. So we are a natural and logical choice if we meet all other selection criteria.

It would be a shame that when the Big 12 eventually starts evaluating local area schools to be considered for expansion, that Wichita blows the opportunity because of lack of planning, foresight, and imagination.

We need to develop a 20 year plan that will get us to that level:

2007 - Develop plan to bring football back
    2010 - Initiate D-1AA football - make minor repairs to Vets Field
    2015 - Initiate D-1A football - make major repairs/seating to VF
    Schedule big teams - get large paybacks
    for getting crap beat out of us
    2020 - Be accepted into non-BCS conference - Break into top 100
    2027 - Achieve success as an above average football team

If you don't have a dream and are satisfied with the status quo, you are already dead.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
      We need to develop a 20 year plan that will get us to that level:

2007 - Develop plan to bring football back
      2010 - Initiate D-1AA football - make minor repairs to Vets Field
      2015 - Initiate D-1A football - make major repairs/seating to VF
      Schedule big teams - get large paybacks
      for getting crap beat out of us
      2020 - Be accepted into non-BCS conference - Break into top 100
      2027 - Achieve success as an above average football team

If you don't have a dream and are satisfied with the status quo, you are already dead.
      Maybe joining the big 12 would be further reach, but a plan is definitely needed. Maybe the other MVC schools can step up their programs one day and it could be a BCS conference too.

Phil Fulmer, former WSU assistant coach, would probably gladly write a check to WSU to go to Rocky Top and get pummelled.

Your last sentence hits it on the head though. And I feel that some people are already there.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
        I have stated this before and I still firmly believe that it is very likely that the Big 12 will expand to the Big 16 sometime in the next 10 to 20 years. This at least seems to be the way the BCS conferences have been going lately.

That doesn't seem that likely to me. I doubt most teams want to water down their conferences and rivalries.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
          Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
          I have not read the reactions to my last message but the students read them and were very amused. I sat back and listened to their comments at about 10:30 PM. Just so you know, three of the four are 6'0" or taller, all of them are in better shape than are "you" and three of them played sports in high school. One of them attended the UNI-WSU volleyball game and three of them have played WSU intramural athletics in the past. In addition, these are some of the brightest (i.e. intelligent) students at WSU. They are all thinking about joining ShockerNet .... because the posters here are so "easy" (i.e. Cold's point of view).

I would not be here if I disliked sports. The students I know enjoyed WSU's Sweet 16 run and the success of Shocker sports. Two of them were at the baseball regional and super-regional and had a great time. However, they know that WSU is an educational institution rather than a party school and they are here to get an education. If there was a fair vote of the students on raising student fees to bring back football, it would fail by a very large margin. Any of these students could have attended KU or KSU and "majored" in drinking but they came to WSU to learn. WSU doesn't need football. Ask current students about football and see what they say.
          Of course you will offer this type of retort...

Students 1-4 need to get laid pronto!

Having football would improve the college experience dramatically helping to move WSU towards more of a traditional college atmosphere... an atmosphere that draws many "bright" students to KSU and KU every Fall. Traditional college years only come once in a lifetime and most want to create rich and fulfilling memories. The time you spent hanging out in the engineering lab isn't going to be one of your fonder recollections...

T

...8)
          Sometimes Cold is so dead-on and the intent of this post is so true :yes:

Go Gateway!

Go Valley!!

Go Shocks!!!!
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

OK - I read the comments. It's great fun to post on sports message boards (and read others' posts). If a very large sum of money ($100M) was donated to WSU for football and a good plan, including plans for dealing with problems like the student parking on gamedays, was developed, I would probably buy season tickets for football. However I would not support eliminating other men's sports or harming other programs (e.g. baseball). Until someone finds this huge source of money, the bottom line is
            No football!! Not Now!! Not until you can show us the money!!

BTW: I would love it if our volleyball team drew more fans than another MVC school (e.g. Indiana State) drew for football. All of the devoted Shocker fans who want football should show their support for WSU sports by coming to the MSU@WSU volleyball game.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Maybe joining the big 12 would be further reach, but a plan is definitely needed. Maybe the other MVC schools can step up their programs one day and it could be a BCS conference too.

Phil Fulmer, former WSU assistant coach, would probably gladly write a check to WSU to go to Rocky Top and get pummelled.

Your last sentence hits it on the head though. And I feel that some people are already there
              Maybe this will be the event that sets off the move for DI MVC Football. Illinois State is planning for FBS (DI) football.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman

Your last sentence hits it on the head though. And I feel that some people are already there
                Maybe this will be the event that sets off the move for DI MVC Football. Illinois State is planning for FBS (DI) football.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...b728144102.txt
                “You grow to that,” said Bowman. “Certainly if you have success and begin to generate revenue in basketball and football, you can certainly grow that revenue with the participation of your donors.

Illinois State University: Athletic Expenses (2006) $10,517,649 Rank 175 of 331 http://www.midmajority.com/school.php?s=ILLST

The idea that the Redbirds can increase revenue from $10M to $30M is hard to take seriously. Without football, WSU spent $13,621,528 in 2006. MSU is the second MVC school at $12,072,542 in 2006. Bowman is dreaming; UIUC will not support this move and money will be hard to find.
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

How does WSU spend that much and not play football? I know we take care of our teams travel and things, but $13.6 million? WSU would have a budget around $20 million or more if we had football.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                    How does WSU spend that much and not play football? I know we take care of our teams travel and things, but $13.6 million? WSU would have a budget around $20 million or more if we had football.
                    All-Storts Trophies are expensive?
                    Jim Schaus is overpaid?

Actually I have the same question; where does all our money go? I don't think Chris Lamb and Gene Stephenson are overpaid. I do think Jane Albright is overpaid (even if she only gets $10,000 per year). We have excellent tennis, track, baseball, volleyball, basketball and golf coaches; I don't follow softball at all. Our bowling coaches are underpaid (but they don't count in the athletic department budget). Kerry R. is an asset. I really have no idea why our expenses are so high compared with other MVC schools. On the other hand, maybe our student-athletes are treated like "BCS student athletes" when it comes to (academic) student support, travel, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                      Iowa State spent $32,541,236 in 2006 and they were the cheapest Big 12 program. My guess is that WSU would need to spend $35M-$40M per year to have football and keep the other sports at their current level (e.g. charter flights for basketball, Hawaii trips for baseball and volleyball). So let's say we need $22M more per year to have FBS football plus $30M-$40M to get Cessna Stadium in shape, prepare soccer fields for a women's team, etc. If we sellout Cessna Stadium (say 30,000 seats with 5 home games??), we need to charge about $150 per ticket per game or $750 for a season ticket in order to raise $22M. Will the people of Wichita pay this much? (I pay ... $244 per season ticket for baseball. Would I pay $750 per season ticket for football? I don't know. Maybe???)

Comment

I don't know how it all breaks down but we spend a lot of money on recruiting for basketball I'm sure. Add in the non-comercial flights and it'll add up some. I'd assume the recruiting budget for baseball is pretty decent as well.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          I don't know how it all breaks down but we spend a lot of money on recruiting for basketball I'm sure. Add in the non-comercial flights and it'll add up some. I'd assume the recruiting budget for baseball is pretty decent as well.
                          "I'd assume the recruiting budget for baseball is pretty decent as well."
                          Actually, NO!! Compare WSU and ISU.

Iowa State Men's Sports Recruiting Exp. (2006)* $687,424 Rank 20 of 331 http://www.midmajority.com/school.php?s=ISU

Wichita State Men's Sports Recruiting Exp. (2006)* $127,348 Rank 176 of 331 http://www.midmajority.com/school.php?s=WICH

* Recruiting figure includes all men's sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                            * Recruiting figure includes all men's sports.
                            Which is why those numbers shed no light on either school's baseball recruiting budget. How much of Iowa State's recruiting budget is for football? And due to them having more revenue, ISU probably spends more in recruiting for every other sport than WSU.

Besides, I don't think Iowa State has a baseball program, do they?

Comment

Royal: The recruiting figures include all men's sports. In the context of WSU $13.6M Athletic budget, the $127,348 we spent on men's recruiting was a drop in the bucket.

Comment

I realize that. But unless we know how much ISU spends in football recruiting (as well as all other sports), we have no way to know how any of that money is allocated.

I guess my point is that since ISU has football, but not baseball, and are in a totally different universe revenue-wise, the comparison is like apples to cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X