Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't see why WSU can't field a football team already.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpanglerFan316, I can't believe you just tried to pull scoreboard on the hogs because of one regional. The Hogs have owned us recently in Baseball, and lets not even talk about our regionals down there.

We are in the same league as Arkansas, but when you match program vs program right now, I think even the biggest Shox homers would have to admit that Arkansas has the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman
      SpanglerFan316, I can't believe you just tried to pull scoreboard on the hogs because of one regional. The Hogs have owned us recently in Baseball, and lets not even talk about our regionals down there.

We are in the same league as Arkansas, but when you match program vs program right now, I think even the biggest Shox homers would have to admit that Arkansas has the edge.
      I'm just having fun; I assume Charlie is too. If Charlie wanted to do so, he could play multi-year scoreboard and bring up our regionals there. Sometimes it is fun to run a little friendly smack. I appreciate having Charlie on our board and like his posts; this doesn't mean I can't tease him once in a while. :lol:
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
        Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
        but the best baseball school in a midwestern state has a good chance of signing the top baseball players in its state.

uh, exactly. Which is why your recruiting budget for baseball can be fairly limited. WSU is in the middle of a very good recruiting area.
        Hey, Charlie. Why does U. Arkansas have 41 players on its roster http://www.hogwired.com/SportSelect....15&SPSID=30676 while WSU has 32 http://www.goshockers.com/SportSelec...44&SPSID=61171?
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

but the best baseball school in a midwestern state has a good chance of signing the top baseball players in its state.

uh, exactly. Which is why your recruiting budget for baseball can be fairly limited. WSU is in the middle of a very good recruiting area.
          Getting back to the "SELECT" versus "recruit" discussion, it seems as though you are agreeing with me.

I'm not agreeing with you, I guess I'm just doing a poor job of explaining myself.

Comment

Hey, Charlie. Why does U. Arkansas have 41 players on its roster http://www.hogwired.com/SportSelect....15&SPSID=30676 while WSU has 32 http://www.goshockers.com/SportSelec...44&SPSID=61171?

We have always carried a large roster. Everybody gets the same 11.7 scholarships and can divide them up however they want. I don't know "why" we do it that way.

Comment

We have always carried a large roster. Everybody gets the same 11.7 scholarships and can divide them up however they want. I don't know "why" we do it that way.
              I was thinking about this issue: "Teams' roster sizes will be limited to 35 players." I thought some limit on roster size already exists. Am I wrong?

Last week, the NCAA's Board of Directors adopted four rule changes designed to improve college baseball's APR. Beginning in 2008-09, athletes must be eligible in the fall semester to compete in the spring semester. They won't be able to transfer between schools without sitting out a season (as football and basketball players already do). Teams' roster sizes will be limited to 35 players, with only 27 receiving scholarships. And, most importantly, each scholarship player must receive at least 33 percent of a full scholarship, dramatically changing how college baseball programs divide the 11.7 scholarships currently allotted to them by the NCAA.

Comment

Getting back to the "SELECT" versus "recruit" discussion, it seems as though you are agreeing with me.

I'm not agreeing with you, I guess I'm just doing a poor job of explaining myself.
                My points:

1. Since baseball scholarships are not 100% scholarships, student-athletes in baseball may have to pay part of their tuition & fees (unless they get academic or other scholarships). As a result, baseball players may tend to stay in-state for college or may attend a university in a state which offers low tuition (perhaps because of programs like http://www.mhec.org/index.asp?pageid=1).

2. You agree that WSU has a good chance of landing the top baseball players in Kansas and UA has a good chance of landing the top baseball players in Arkansas.

3. WSU's advantage may extend to the Midwest Student Exchange Program states of Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota and Wisconsin. Students from these states can apply to pay tuition at 150% of the low tuition rate WSU charges in-state students.

4. WSU has good baseball connections in Oklahoma and recruits there fairly well. WSU recruits the Wichita metro area fairly well too.

My conclusion is that there usually are more extremely good baseball players who would be interested in playing for WSU than there are available openings.

Do you agree or disagree?

Comment

I was thinking about this issue: "Teams' roster sizes will be limited to 35 players." I thought some limit on roster size already exists. Am I wrong?

Last week, the NCAA's Board of Directors adopted four rule changes designed to improve college baseball's APR. Beginning in 2008-09, athletes must be eligible in the fall semester to compete in the spring semester. They won't be able to transfer between schools without sitting out a season (as football and basketball players already do). Teams' roster sizes will be limited to 35 players, with only 27 receiving scholarships. And, most importantly, each scholarship player must receive at least 33 percent of a full scholarship, dramatically changing how college baseball programs divide the 11.7 scholarships currently allotted to them by the NCAA.
                  http://www.independentmail.com/news/...aseball-rules/

We are currently in the 07-08 academic year. That rule will go into effect for the 09 baseball season.

Comment

My conclusion is that there usually are more extremely good baseball players who would be interested in playing for WSU than there are available openings.

I guess you would have to define "extremely good" for me.

WSU's recruiting class this year isn't a top 10 class and certainly isn't year.

If you are saying there are good players in Kansas, and WSU gets most of the good players from Kansas, because players want to be close to home, then okay. But to me it sounded like you were trying to say you guys were the Duke basketball of college baseball or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                      I'm just having fun; I assume Charlie is too. If Charlie wanted to do so, he could play multi-year scoreboard and bring up our regionals there. Sometimes it is fun to run a little friendly smack. I appreciate having Charlie on our board and like his posts; this doesn't mean I can't tease him once in a while. :lol:
                      FYI, Charlie is a "she".
                      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                      -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by CharlieHog

I guess you would have to define "extremely good" for me.

WSU's recruiting class this year isn't a top 10 class and certainly isn't year.

If you are saying there are good players in Kansas, and WSU gets most of the good players from Kansas, because players want to be close to home, then okay. But to me it sounded like you were trying to say you guys were the Duke basketball of college baseball or something.
                        OK, I was not saying that WSU baseball is Duke basketball (because they didn't suck last year :lol: ). I was saying that WSU can usually get the top baseball players in "Gene's recruiting area" (whatever that is and it probably changes over time). Plus I was having fun.

PS Sorry about the gender error.

Comment

• don't worry about the gender thing, really doesn't bother me at all.

And I know we're getting way off topic here, but Arkansas really recruits nationally. I know we have quite a few players from Arkansas on the roster right now but that's sort of abnormal.

When we took the field in game 1 of our regional last year we had these states represented:

catcher: Oklahoma
                          first base: Texas
                          second base: Arkansas
                          short stop: North Carolina
                          third base: Tennessee
                          left field: Nevada
                          center field: Nebraska
                          right field: Texas
                          designated hitter: Indiana
                          pitcher: Washington

crazy!

Comment

• 1. How was bowling ever in this discussion? It isn't an ICAA sport.

2. 3 pages of baseball talk?

Comment

• Baseball is a MEN'S SPORT (just like our men's soccer and football teams, which include "men" of the female gender :D ).

Comment

• The Metropolitan area has 486,000 people per census.

Comment

Working...
                                X