Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't see why WSU can't field a football team already.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with rockemshockem, I am not willing to sacrifice the competitiveness we now have in all the other sports just for Football. Lets see, our sports budget is about 7 mil, compared to ATM budget of 31 mil with Football (just used as an example).

Student tuition and fees are hard enough for students to make now without upping them enough to allow Football. At the least, about 13 mil a year would have to be funded if we had Football too. Now divide 13 mil by about 15,000 students, and it becomes prohibitive to the welfare of the University. Even if part was privately funded, it would still be a burden somewhere.

For Pete's sake, WSU Graduate School was $13 an hour when I attended in the mid 70's.

Comment

There is no question that we should have a fully functioning revival program for football that is heavily advertised and supported by the president as well as the AD's office. People should be advised to donate money toward the fund and a "barometer" of the progress should be displayed at every opportunity. Once the donations equal 10mm we should hit the ground running. We don't need to refurbish the stadium to restart at D1AA. As soon as we satisfy the probationary period we should petition CUSA for membership. Then we will be a solid university not held back by our conference. It's not the SEC but it's a helluva lot better than the MVC.

Hey folks, how about the upcoming Tulsa football game this Saturday at Cessna?!! ;-) :yahoo: :clap: *stops dreaming*

T

...8)

Comment

"We don't need to refurbish the stadium to restart at D1AA"

Spoken like somebody who hasn't been to CS in a long time. $10 million is probably a good starting point to renovate CS so it would usable for football. The press box needs a gutting and redo. No locker room. Upd to code? Doubtful. Infrastructure (tickets, concessions, restrooms) to handle 20,000 fans? It's not there. The dreamers have no idea what they're talking about money-wise. And why does CUSA want WSU?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony2
          "We don't need to refurbish the stadium to restart at D1AA"

Spoken like somebody who hasn't been to CS in a long time. $10 million is probably a good starting point to renovate CS so it would usable for football. The press box needs a gutting and redo. No locker room. Upd to code? Doubtful. Infrastructure (tickets, concessions, restrooms) to handle 20,000 fans? It's not there. The dreamers have no idea what they're talking about money-wise. And why does CUSA want WSU?
          Have you seen the s-holes that Valley teams play in? When they saw a picture of Cessna they were like "wow". Cessna handled 28,000 fans fine for the Rolling Stones and if we ever get 28,000 fans to a D1AA football game we will be well on our way to moving to D1. We can start D1AA football on a "shoe-string" budget and then get the serious cash from available donors once we prove we can handle the move to D1 (5+ years).

Why does CUSA want WSU?

Because we are a baseball powerhouse. Because we would be one of the top basketball programs in their conference. And because we would be a huge regional rival for one of their current members.

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by rockemshockem
            Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

NCAA women's bowling would be easy for WSU. The soccer field at the Metroplex could be upgraded fairly quickly if money were available; I could serve as the soccer coach if needed. :whistle: Does women's field hockey exist as a NCAA sport?
            First we'd have to convince bowling they'd be better off, I know a few people who think that bowling would be downgrading by joining the NCAA. Trust me, if you've ever played on the Metroplex field you know it needs a lot of work before it would be considered ready for D-1 soccer. And yes women's field hockey is a NCAA sport, but it would cost us alot of money to field that team because we'd have to travel to the east coast all the time
            I've played soccer on the Metroplex field often. Like last week. It is uneven and would need work but I don't think this would cost more than $50,000. It's all about the money and the will to compete.

On bowling, I agree that NCAA bowling is a big step down. On the other hand, having a second NCAA title, after baseball, would be sweet.

I'm not in favor of football (unless we find LOTS of money) but the main problem is money, not women's sports.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

D-1AA Football

The average university in Div 1AA football loses $800,000 a year. We've been over this every year for the past several years, but apparently, we have new posters on here each year who are not aware of that fact.

As for me, I like the idea of having winning baseball & basketball teams now that is not dragged down by financial losses stemming from football.

Comment

Re: D-1AA Football

Originally posted by xazshox
                The average university in Div 1AA football loses $800,000 a year. We've been over this every year for the past several years, but apparently, we have new posters on here each year who are not aware of that fact.

As for me, I like the idea of having winning baseball & basketball teams now that is not dragged down by financial losses stemming from football.
                Then count me in as a newbieeeeeee because I think our university is a laughing stock for not having a football program! :good:

Why do you think there are sooooo many universities willing to continue football at a loss or break-even? Because they don't want to be a laughing stock for not having it. How many students/recruits/sponsorships/$$$'s (for educational purposes), do we lose every year because we don't have football? Imagine walking up to a recruit and pumping him up to be a Shocker and then as you walk out of the house... "oh, by the way, if you think you are going to come to Wichita to enjoy a "big-time" college football environment in the Fall it isn't gonna happen. Do you have any idea how big of a part college football plays on a students college life regardless of affiliation... ?

It's very very sad and MUCH more than just an economic issue. There are far reaching implications that go well beyond whether or not we can pay the bills.

P.S. I'm not even a football fan.

T

...8)

Comment

No one says that a soccer team would have to play on campus. They could play at the Wichita fields just off 29th and Greenwich. I'm sure the City of Wichita would work out a deal. The women's bowling team wouldn't be given the option. Nebraska's wasn't (at least I don't think they were). Heskett has a pool and diving well for a swim and diving team to use. If not, isn't there quite an indoor facility on the east side somewhere?

And unfortunatly, but not uncommon, would be the fact that some men's program(s) would probably be cut.

The Heskett fields would need to be upgraded, but they could use off campus fields in the mean time. Plus the fields at 29th and Oliver would probably be used for football practices. Since the school paved over the old one.

I really don't want football back if it is going to ruin the school, but by all means if donors step forward, the school really needs to think a long time before just blowing it off.

Comment

Renovating Henry Levitt was this "huge" deal. The basketball team sucked, over 20 million needed to be raised.. but it got done because of leadership, drive, and determination. This is no different. More money needs to be raised but the potential for an even greater result is within the city's grasp. This town has 3/4 of a million people living in it and there is no college football. How **** up is that?

T

...8)

Comment

This town has 3/4 of a million people living in it and there is no college football. How **** up is that?

Wichita only has 300,000 people, where the **** do you live?

Comment

More on Football

Hey, I'd like nothing more than for WSU to reinstate football, too, if I though it was economically feasible. I was living in AZ the last year WSU had a football team. I went to the game in AZ when lost to ASU that year, 7-56. When they gave up football, they were millions in the hole financially, & it took them years to recover from it. WSU always had a good basketball program until that happened & it seemed to me that helped drag it into a hole it took 15-20 years to recover from.

As for Koch arena coming to reality, it is my understanding that there were 2 previous unsuccessful attempts to raise money for that undertaking. It only suceeded when WSU Pres, Dr Don Beggs, came along & hired Jim Schaus as the AD. Together, those 2 got the job done on the 3rd attempt.

Now, we finally have a successful basketball program again. There is fund drive going on now (which I'm sure will be successful) to raise money for the indoor practice facility for baseball and other spring sports. My hope is that somewhere down the road in the next 5-10 years assuming that the Wichita metropolitan area keeps thriving when football will be more feasible. As the old saying goes though, "Patience is a virtue that few possess".

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
                          This town has 3/4 of a million people living in it and there is no college football. How **** up is that?

Wichita only has 300,000 people, where the **** do you live?
                          *sigh* :whistle: :roll:

T

...8)

Comment

What do the following Kansas schools or those closely associated with WSU in other sports have in common?

Benedictine KS, Drake, McPherson, St. Mary, KS, N. Iowa, Illinois St, Ottowa, Pittsburg St, Emporia State, Fort Hays, SIU, Indiana St, Missouri St, Tulsa, KU, KS (and others I missed).

And the answer is: Wow, they somehow manage to field and support a football team - and they have done it for years.

Sure, most not D-1, but we wouldn't start off in D-l either.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock
                              What do the following Kansas schools or those closely associated with WSU in other sports have in common?

Benedictine KS, Drake, McPherson, St. Mary, KS, N. Iowa, Illinois St, Ottowa, Pittsburg St, Emporia State, Fort Hays, SIU, Indiana St, Missouri St, Tulsa, KU, KS (and others I missed).

And the answer is: Wow, they somehow manage to field and support a football team - and they have done it for years.

Sure, most not D-1, but we wouldn't start off in D-l either.
                              How many of those schools make money in athletics every year?

Comment

Has anyone stopped to think that a segment of fans might not be able to afford Basketball and Football tickets each year? (and maybe Baseball too)

Comment

Working...
                                X