Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't see why WSU can't field a football team already.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many can't get a ticket to basketball? I don't have much money to spend but would definitely pay to see Shocker football. I think I could sacrifice 5 or so weekends to watch that.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I wish this discussion would die. No Shocker Football. Not Now. Not Ever (unless a donor with $100,000,000 steps forward). No Football!!!
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
        I wish this discussion would die. No Shocker Football. Not Now. Not Ever (unless a donor with $100,000,000 steps forward). No Football!!!
        Just because you don't ever want it, doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
          I just showed this thread to three students (one senior, two WSU graduates students with WSU undergraduate degrees). They laughed and agreed with my post. They are tired of the "frat boys who want to bring back football." I'm going to let them add their own comments to this post:

Student 1: It's the same question brought up every year "Why can't we have football?" Why don't we have an interesting sport and start a soccer program?

Student 2: We are NOT Marshall. Matthew McConaughey will not come and coach us to some amazing victory. We could use that football money and buy another millipede! Right guys! Guys? Hey guys?

Student 3: (no comment)

A fourth (former) student just arrived. His comment: School sports distract a university from it's core competencies. WSU has real strengths in it's engineering college that shouldn't be ignored in favor of the attitude "FOOTBALL errrrrrrg we're really tough!" Every penny you think about spending on sports programs ought to be redirected to academic programs that would provide real opportunities for graduates.

Plus, a Shock of Wheat is a really lame football mascot.
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

most of the people who want football back are "frat boys". For me at least, it's restoring a tradition we alledgely had 20+ years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDorian
              most of the people who want football back are "frat boys". For me at least, it's restoring a tradition we alledgely had 20+ years ago.
              And unfortunately for you guys, the "Frat Boys" you speak of typically give lots and lots of money to the university. Think about it.

Comment

I just showed this thread to three students (one senior, two WSU graduates students with WSU undergraduate degrees). They laughed and agreed with my post. They are tired of the "frat boys who want to bring back football." I'm going to let them add their own comments to this post:

Student 1: It's the same question brought up every year "Why can't we have football?" Why don't we have an interesting sport and start a soccer program?

Student 2: We are NOT Marshall. Matthew McConaughey will not come and coach us to some amazing victory. We could use that football money and buy another millipede! Right guys! Guys? Hey guys?

A fourth (former) student just arrived. His comment: School sports distract a university from it's core competencies. WSU has real strengths in it's engineering college that shouldn't be ignored in favor of the attitude "FOOTBALL errrrrrrg we're really tough!" Every penny you think about spending on sports programs ought to be redirected to academic programs that would provide real opportunities for graduates.

These are the exact reasons why WSU needs Football. What a boring student base WSU has, unbelievable. No school tradition and no passion = less die hard alumni which equals less in giving. What a disgusting post.

Comment

Wow...Spangler what an enlighting post. Is this revenge of the nerds???? This is what I hated about WSU as a student. We had a bunch of lame a$$ students like that running around. I was never in a Frat, but enjoyed going to sports events and I hope we can have a football team someday. It's such joke that clowns like that can stereotype anyone they don't agree with because they are soooo smart. I don't want football at the expense of the other sports or academics either, but we can dream and talk about it. As for soccer and sports being a disraction....not even going to waste my time.

Comment

Since Spangler stereotyped the "Frat Boys", I think I'll take a guess at who these students might be.

Student 1: Been hearing the same question every year because they've been taking 6 credit hours a semester for the past 8 years. Doesn't go to any events at WSU.

Student 2: Watches too many movies to come support WSU athletics.

Student 3: I won't comment because it would probably offend someone.

Student 4: Was the kid always picked last for Kick Ball or soccer or tiddly winks and doesn't even understand football.

Unfortunately for the 4th, athletics does provide opportunities for graduates. As in it actually lets them go to college, gives them a reason to stay, and usually gives them contacts for after school to pursue. Athletics also are a marketing tool used by a school to attract more students. I guarantee seeing WSU in the sweet 16 left the name of the school in someone's head when it came to making a college decision. Seeing Big Time, or even small time (App St) football on TV would give the student a very good idea of what the campus life is like for a student. Can people do that now with WSU? That's what I thought.

Point is, people can make arguments for or against football, but just because someone thinks it's a bad idea, doesn't mean they have to tell everyone to quit dreaming.

p.s. WSU is more likely to get a donation for athletics larger than any donation towards academics. And we'll all have to accept it.

Comment

I have not read the reactions to my last message but the students read them and were very amused. I sat back and listened to their comments at about 10:30 PM. Just so you know, three of the four are 6'0" or taller, all of them are in better shape than are "you" and three of them played sports in high school. One of them attended the UNI-WSU volleyball game and three of them have played WSU intramural athletics in the past. In addition, these are some of the brightest (i.e. intelligent) students at WSU. They are all thinking about joining ShockerNet .... because the posters here are so "easy" (i.e. Cold's point of view).

I would not be here if I disliked sports. The students I know enjoyed WSU's Sweet 16 run and the success of Shocker sports. Two of them were at the baseball regional and super-regional and had a great time. However, they know that WSU is an educational institution rather than a party school and they are here to get an education. If there was a fair vote of the students on raising student fees to bring back football, it would fail by a very large margin. Any of these students could have attended KU or KSU and "majored" in drinking but they came to WSU to learn. WSU doesn't need football. Ask current students about football and see what they say.

Comment

I'm a current student at the WU and I think we should have football. I want a full college experience, that includes football also. A lot of people I know enjoy football and want the team back. I also know that education is important, but it's also as equally important to know what your college traditions are and to experience them.

Comment

I have not read the reactions to my last message but the students read them and were very amused. I sat back and listened to their comments at about 10:30 PM. Just so you know, three of the four are 6'0" or taller, all of them are in better shape than are "you" and three of them played sports in high school. One of them attended the UNI-WSU volleyball game and three of them have played WSU intramural athletics in the past. In addition, these are some of the brightest (i.e. intelligent) students at WSU. They are all thinking about joining ShockerNet .... because the posters here are so "easy" (i.e. Cold's point of view).

I would not be here if I disliked sports. The students I know enjoyed WSU's Sweet 16 run and the success of Shocker sports. Two of them were at the baseball regional and super-regional and had a great time. However, they know that WSU is an educational institution rather than a party school and they are here to get an education. If there was a fair vote of the students on raising student fees to bring back football, it would fail by a very large margin. Any of these students could have attended KU or KSU and "majored" in drinking but they came to WSU to learn. WSU doesn't need football. Ask current students about football and see what they say.
                          Of course you will offer this type of retort...

Students 1-4 need to get laid pronto!

Having football would improve the college experience dramatically helping to move WSU towards more of a traditional college atmosphere... an atmosphere that draws many "bright" students to KSU and KU every Fall. Traditional college years only come once in a lifetime and most want to create rich and fulfilling memories. The time you spent hanging out in the engineering lab isn't going to be one of your fonder recollections...

T

...8)

Comment

As a recent graduate of WSU I would love to see football at WSU. I just do not want to see basketball, baseball and volleyball go down the drain just so we can have football. I attended Pitt-State for my undergrad and football is king down there but they suck at every other sport other than track. I don't want to see WSU go down that alley. The only way WSU gets football is untill someone wins the lottery and donates it all to WSU football.

Plus will students and fans of WSU really accept losing football for the first year or so. Also the tradition of WSU football is losing seasons and the plane crash and that is not much tradition.

That is just my 2 cents.
                            kawwsu77

Comment

There is nothin like going to a college football game on a saturday afternoon!

Not to mention it would help further our basketball program to. Look at Cyphers, he went to a football game and that helped sway him...

Comment

Of course Shocker fans would accept losing the first few year. Nobody could expect too much then. But with the right people in place I think we could end up doing alright for ourselves.
                                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                                X