X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSU Rams T&F/XC @CSURAMSTRACK
    ยท
    2h

Update on decathlete Hunter Price, per @coachbedard: dislocated ankle and shoulder during pole vault competition. Thankful he'll be OK.

Comment

• Coverage is on ESPN2 now. Looks like they are a bit behind schedule. Just finishing the women's 400H semis. The women's 200m semis up next. Then the decathlon 1,500m. I think.

Comment

• Hunter stuggled in the 1500 but should hold on to 5th.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Hunter runs a 4:57.64 and finishes 6th overall with a WSU school record 7,866 points. Hunter was 1 point out of 5th place.

Very fine performance by Hunter. Not only does he get a new school record he has earned 1st team All-America honors.

Hunter was 15th on the form chart coming in so he did quite well indeed.

Congratulations Hunter.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            I am going to project a score of 7,870 points for Hunter. Good enough for the school record but short of the 8 grand mark.
            Well done! As noted above, 7866 was Hunter's total.

Comment

• Things I never knew - well, one thing - we don't have time for the complete list.

The commentator for the men's High Jump mentioned using Five-Alive in their rotation. She said that only five jumpers are active at any one time so that their routine - warming up, putting on their sweats, etc - is predictable. She much preferred that when she was jumping competitively. There are other details when the number of jumpers remaining at a given height drop to a certain level. It is also used in the Pole Vault.

Comment

• Track & Field - 2017 Recruiting Class

In view of the outstanding performances turned in by the WSU track team this spring along with the fact that a number of team members are seniors, I've been wondering about their incoming recruiting class. But, I've never found mention of it anywhere. Does anyone have any news about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                  In view of the outstanding performances turned in by the WSU track team this spring along with the fact that a number of team members are seniors, I've been wondering about their incoming recruiting class. But, I've never found mention of it anywhere. Does anyone have any news about it?
                  Last year they did not report on their newcomers for the year until August 29th. I would anticipate the same will be true this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                    I would think that T/F coaches hit recruiting pretty hard right now filling out their teams with depth. A lot of kids just displayed their talents (and maturity)for the first time in state competition.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      I would think that T/F coaches hit recruiting pretty hard right now filling out their teams with depth. A lot of kids just displayed their talents (and maturity)for the first time in state competition.
                      With only 18 scholarships for the women and 12.6 for the men (and that includes XC) which are divied up among around 120 atheltes (around 60 for each squad) there may not be much of a reason to sign LOI's in track and field. The regular signing period runs through August 1st anyway. I'm sure they have a good number of ahtletes who have perhaps verbally committed and maybe even a few LOI's. Could be they want to make sure who actually shows up and enrolls in school before announcing the newcomers. But it's good to see some interest in the Track & Fied programs.

Comment

• They have signed quite a few newcomers to LOI's for next Fall but, like mentioned earlier, there is still some recruiting to go this summer. I imagine a press release will come out before school begins. Right around the signing period they announced many of their signee's on their Twitter account. I believe there were around 30 between men and women.

Comment

• So far during the current signing period which runs from April 12th to August 1st is looks like they have singed 26 athletes. You can find those announcements on the Shocker Twitter account between April 18th and May 4th. They apparently had signed 13 athletes in the early signing period from November 9th to November 16th of last year bringing the total to 39 athletes signed as this point. Those are no longer shown on Twitter.

Comment

• Former Shocker Austin Bahner is 6th (out of 18 competitors) in the decathlon at the 2017 USATF Track & Field Championships.

Austin had good results in the 100m, long jump and 400m. He did finish well down in the shot put and the high jump.

Shocker senior-to-be and decathlon record holder, Hunter Veith elected not to compete coming off of his 6th place decatholon finish at the NCAA Championships preferring to give his body a rest.

Update: Austin fell to 13th place after Day 2 as he apparently failed to clear the bar in the pole vault and received no score in that event.

Hunter Veith's score from the NCAA Championships would have placed him 4th in this competition.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 24, 2017, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X