WSU Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Soccer

Why doesn't WSU have a collegiate soccer team?

Soccer is such a popular high school sport, and growing nationally, and there seem to be some successful soccer programs elsewhere in the MVC. This might be blasphemous on this board, but I'd be much happier to see men's/women's soccer at WSU before football.
    "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
    -- Pele

Re: WSU Soccer

Originally posted by Perezident
    Why doesn't WSU have a collegiate soccer team?

Soccer is such a popular high school sport, and growing nationally, and there seem to be some successful soccer programs elsewhere in the MVC. This might be blasphemous on this board, but I'd be much happier to see men's/women's soccer at WSU before football.
    I completely agree. Plus, Wichita has produced a number of good soccer players both from club teams and city league so we would have a good recruiting base to say nothing of international students at WSU who may already come with a background in the game.

I know many on this board hate soccer and will express that vividly and sarcastically in response to this thread. Let me just say in advance, it still makes sense.
    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I'd love to see soccer here. There is a reason the whole entire world loves soccer more than any other sport. Thats plain and simply because it kicks ass and is awsome. The beautiful game is just that.

Comment

I would have loved it if WSU had a soccer team. I definately would have played. (Had a couple offers). WSU does have a men and women's CLUB team. (no schollies)

Comment

I think a soccer team is a great idea. ANything to get use out of Cessna Stadium and not financially bankrupt the athletic department. Plus, as was noted earlier, the MVC is VERY strong in soccer with CU, SMU, and St louis all having good teams.

Comment

I have nothing against soccer but would prefer football. With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing a womens team.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
              I have nothing against soccer but would prefer football. With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing a womens team.
              Although I am not in favor of reinstating football it is certainly true that if we do there are Title IX implications. Starting up a women's soccer team (among other things) would probably be an important part of the process for preparing for the return of football.
              The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather start building up womens schollies sooner in preperation for football. Then, if football is decided to never work, we could add mens teams to balance out.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Also the fact that unseeded and lightly regarded UC-Santa Barbara just won the men's national title reminds us that the gap between the national powerhouses and everyone else is not as great in soccer as in some of the big money sports. With the right amount of commitment, (and JS does everything with excellence), WSU could find itself contending for regional and/or national respect in a shorter time frame than some other sports. This is especially true because, as has already been pointed out, there are some MVC schools that play excellent soccer.

Comment

I understand where everyone is coming from but the bottom line is this:

Starting any new program is going to take money away from the only revenue stream we have; men's basketball.

Until we have everything done we want to, it is a foolish idea.

Comment

A women's soccer, lacrosse, and swimming team will be a necessary addition as soon as we restart football.

It's a great day!

T

...8)

Comment

I used to be a hard core proponent of bringing football back to WSU as soon as possible. However, I have mixed feelings these days. If bringing back football has the potential to wreck our entire sports program then I'm not really in favor. The older I get the more difficult I find it to get excited about football in general. It's a pretty ridiculous sport, imo.

But back to the thread! Until WSU (Beggs or Schaus) states that bringing back football is on the agenda, then discussing football in relation to any other sport is absurd. Soccer (women's AND men's) would be great for WSU, the community, and the MVC.
                        "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
                        -- Pele

Comment

Common Sense:

Ther are only 3 NCAA sports that generate income,Football:Mens Basketball: Hockey( at a very few locations).If your going to add any mens sport,the ONLY one is FOOTBALL! Title IX is Killing collegiate sports , therefore the ONLY reason to add Soccer(womens) would be to offset Football scholarship requirements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Common Sense:

Originally posted by shock49
                            Ther are only 3 NCAA sports that generate income,Football:Mens Basketball: Hockey( at a very few locations).If your going to add any mens sport,the ONLY one is FOOTBALL! Title IX is Killing collegiate sports , therefore the ONLY reason to add Soccer(womens) would be to offset Football scholarship requirements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            First, while some football programs generate revenue others can be a continual drain on the budget. Second, the reason to add a sport (mens or womens) is because it meets some combination of the following criteria: it is offered by your conference and is part of your overall commitment to the other conference members, it is enjoyed by fans, it is affordable in your budget (not necessarily revenue generating but affordable), it increases your ability to attract the attention of potential students and recruit them to your university, and it fits within the educational mission of your school.

Comment

Screw soccer why not play lacrosse better yet football.
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Working...
                              X