No announcement yet.

WSU Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone actually suggesting the soccer is BIGGER than the major sports? I don't think so, it obviously isn't. But last I checked it was still the fastest growing sport in the country and looks to continue to be so with the money being poured into soccer development and, imo, the beginnings of a trend of European players coming here to play.

Also, soccer is HUGE amongst K-12 schools. How many wichita area high schools have soccer teams? All of them. How many have lacrosse teams???

Soccer will never appeal to some Americans, many bought in to this ridiculous notion that soccer players were pansies and wrote the sport off long ago, unfortunately. Many would prefer to watch commercials interspersed with short interruptions of "action" called American football.
    "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
    -- Pele

Comment

Originally posted by Perezident
      Is anyone actually suggesting the soccer is BIGGER than the major sports? I don't think so, it obviously isn't. But last I checked it was still the fastest growing sport in the country and looks to continue to be so with the money being poured into soccer development and, imo, the beginnings of a trend of European players coming here to play.

Also, soccer is HUGE amongst K-12 schools. How many wichita area high schools have soccer teams? All of them. How many have lacrosse teams???

Soccer will never appeal to some Americans, many bought in to this ridiculous notion that soccer players were pansies and wrote the sport off long ago, unfortunately. Many would prefer to watch commercials interspersed with short interruptions of "action" called American football.
      soccer sucks man!!!!! get over it

Comment

I like soccer.
        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I don't think people are saying that lacrosse is bigger than soccer. Just that many of us would rather watch lacrosse than soccer and would be more likely to support (attend games) lacrosse than soccer. I don't mind soccer, but like I've said before I just enjoy watching lacrosse more.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Soccer Blows!!!!!!!
            He who laughs last; thinks the slowest.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
              I don't think people are saying that lacrosse is bigger than soccer. Just that many of us would rather watch lacrosse than soccer and would be more likely to support (attend games) lacrosse than soccer. I don't mind soccer, but like I've said before I just enjoy watching lacrosse more.
              With the large international student body at WSU and the large soccer community in Wichita, I think soccer would do better in terms of fan support than lacrosse would, but maybe I am wrong.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I think Hockey would do better than both Lacrosse and Sucker. oops...i mean Soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by ICT316
                  I think Hockey would do better than both Lacrosse and Sucker. oops...i mean Soccer.
                  Is having a mature adult conversation too much to ask?

I will take your comment seriously, however.

1) There aren't that many hockey players in the area, so recruiting would be difficult. The collegiate hockey region is pretty small.

2) The cost of installing and maintaining an ice rink is very high. No way that the university goes through that expense.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter

1) There aren't that many hockey players in the area, so recruiting would be difficult. The collegiate hockey region is pretty small.

2) The cost of installing and maintaining an ice rink is very high. No way that the university goes through that expense.
                    Man.......can't a guy express how he feels without getting slapped on the wrist? I'm just talking about entertainment purposes. I'd rather watch hockey than either Lacrosse or SOCCER.

Comment

Man.......can't a guy express how he feels without getting slapped on the wrist? I'm just talking about entertainment purposes. I'd rather watch hockey than either Lacrosse or SOCCER.
                      Don't you get it? If you think soccer is boring then it's because youre a typical close minded redneck american.

But it you like it and think poorly of anybody who doesn't then youre a open-minded american who would be accepted throughout the world

Actually hockey would be cool, except it's during basketball season. Now the facilities wouldn't be that big of issue cause you could probably share ice with the thunder downtown in a couple of years.

BTW 90 minutes of passing with 3 missed shots on goal is NOT fun too watch. Thats why I think it sucks but soccer fans tell me it's because I'm close minded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town

Don't you get it? If you think soccer is boring then it's because youre a typical close minded redneck american.

But it you like it and think poorly of anybody who doesn't then youre a open-minded american who would be accepted throughout the world

Actually hockey would be cool, except it's during basketball season. Now the facilities wouldn't be that big of issue cause you could probably share ice with the thunder downtown in a couple of years.

BTW 90 minutes of passing with 3 missed shots on goal is NOT fun too watch. Thats why I think it sucks but soccer fans tell me it's because I'm close minded.
                        Sports is entertainment. You either like a sport or you don't and I am not at all sure why people would want to force a person to like a sport. I am equally unsure why people would want to try to get people to not like a sport just because they don't like it. It's no big deal one way or the other.

I personally like soccer and don't like hockey. If WSU wanted to start either or both and it fit with the budget that would be great. I'm not sure why anyone would be against offering more options unless those options created problems for existing revenue generating sports.
                        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock
                          Originally posted by Ta town

Sports is entertainment. You either like a sport or you don't and I am not at all sure why people would want to force a person to like a sport. I am equally unsure why people would want to try to get people to not like a sport just because they don't like it. It's no big deal one way or the other.

I personally like soccer and don't like hockey. If WSU wanted to start either or both and it fit with the budget that would be great. I'm not sure why anyone would be against offering more options unless those options created problems for existing revenue generating sports.
                          read this entire topic from the start.

I'm not trying to get anybody to like anything or dislike anything. Simply defending my belief that soccer blows bigtime.

This is just bull shooting, I don't think any of these sports should be added. Just pointing out that there are other sports than men's soccer that could be an alternative to football. In reality these all blow compared to football.

Comment

How about Ping-Pong?

Comment

The region isn't small, the entire upper half of the United States from West Coast to East Coast play hockey. You can also include Canada.

Comment

If the Shockers had to make a decision today whether to add Soccer or Lacrosse it seems pretty clear to me that the sport of choice would be Soccer.

Why? Because 5 other MVC teams (Creighton, Bradley, MSU, Drake and Evansville) field men's Soccer teams and are joined by Eastern Illinois and Western Kentucky to form MVC Men's Soccer.

On the distaff side 7 MVC teams (Creighton, MSU, Drake, Evansville, Illinois State, Indiana State and Northern Iowa) field Women's teams.

If any MVC school has a Lacrosse team it is at the Club level.

Furthermore, you can recruit Soccer players from Kansas and the Midwest. Recruiting a Lacrosse team would be much more problematic.

The question of which sport is really more fan friendly is really not all that relevant at this time in my opinion.

Personally, the Shockers already have more sports than I have time to follow. For now I think I would like the resources that would otherwise go to any new sport plowed back into our existing programs. Most of which seem to be doing very well overall.

If you want a fan friendly sport to occupy yourself with in the fall I would strongly encourage you to check our Shocker Women's Volleyball if you haven't yet done so.

Comment

Working...
                                X