WSU Soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    If the Shockers had to make a decision today whether to add Soccer or Lacrosse it seems pretty clear to me that the sport of choice would be Soccer.

Why? Because 5 other MVC teams (Creighton, Bradley, MSU, Drake and Evansville) field men's Soccer teams and are joined by Eastern Illinois and Western Kentucky to form MVC Men's Soccer.

On the distaff side 7 MVC teams (Creighton, MSU, Drake, Evansville, Illinois State, Indiana State and Northern Iowa) field Women's teams.

If any MVC school has a Lacrosse team it is at the Club level.

Furthermore, you can recruit Soccer players from Kansas and the Midwest. Recruiting a Lacrosse team would be much more problematic.

The question of which sport is really more fan friendly is really not all that relevant at this time in my opinion.

Personally, the Shockers already have more sports than I have time to follow. For now I think I would like the resources that would otherwise go to any new sport plowed back into our existing programs. Most of which seem to be doing very well overall.

If you want a fan friendly sport to occupy yourself with in the fall I would strongly encourage you to check our Shocker Women's Volleyball if you haven't yet done so.
    Doesn't SMU play in that league as well?

I wonder how much soccer really costs to get going and maintain. We have a stadium that has to be taken care of anyways during that season. Uniforms and equipment have to be cheap. We would only have to start Women's soccer as well for Title 9. Yes scholarships and such are expensive, but it still has to be 10 times cheaper than football. Travel expenses get up there, but bus rides are possible. I know most of the teams at WSU ride buses, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

Comment

SMU is not listed in the 2006 MVC Conference Standings

Comment

Working...
      X