• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinstripers
    We were a .500 club.
    Not in 2003.

Comment

What I learned.... An NCAA team last year with 5 starters returning playing at home is about one big run better than an NIT team last year that returns 4 starters, missing their PG.

Also, I learned that WSU is very bad at defending two things, dribble drive and high ball screens.

So we've lost to two top 15 teams, lets go out and take care of business the rest of the non-con and prepare to dominate the Valley. Go Shox!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
        Originally posted by ShockTalk
        So how many here really think that we would have been better than 5-2 after 7 games? If we had beat UConn, we'd more likely be 4-3 now.
        I get that. 5-2 is pretty much as expected given the opponents. But not winning at least one of the "big" games has me questioning if we're NCAA ready. I don't care how weak the Valley is, I just don't see us rolling off 15 or 16 wins in this conference. It's too much of a grind and frankly we haven't proven that we can consistently play good basketball yet.

If everyone expected us to be 5-2 or 4-3 at this point, they either think we need to win it all in St. Louis or run off an incredible winning streak to make the NCAA's. Which one do you have us doing?
        No one really expected us to not come out of Maui without at least one loss. If we had of beaten UConn, we would have most likely had 2 losses to teams we would not have been expected to beat. As it was, we ran into UConn Show, and may have played them the best game they had in the tourney.

As for SDSU, they are better right now than we thought they would be pre-season. They won AT Gonzaga and dismantled a very good St. Mary's team. By the way, our score may have looked worse, but St. Mary's was down 19-9 early and 37-24 at half. We were ahead under 15 to go in the game in which had been a very tight game to that point. Even after the disaster, we went from, I believe, 17 down to 9 down within 2 minutes and were not totally out of the game until under the last 2 minutes. All of this, with as bad as we played.

I agree. I was hoping we were to a point where we could be pulling off some upsets. Not because we were an average team who surprised someone, but because we were to a level where this should be expected to happen on occassion.

That being said, the team will be Dancing if they are worthy to do so. I'm a big proponent that there is a big difference between getting beat and losing. I can describe the difference if necessary. If we are the best in the Valley and worthy of Dancing, then, YES, we should win the regular season (15-3) and win the MVC tourney. What we have done in the past in this tourney is just that, past. Unless a second team comes alive and has a strong season, we, or the team, shouldn't expect less. I hope the team just gives it their best shot, each and every game, and understand what this will mean to them now and the rest of their lives.

Comment

If anyone is still really upset over the loss last night and needs a boost, go read SDSU's message board. They're a very knowledgeable and classy bunch and a lot of them are claiming that we're the best team they've played thus far (Gonzaga, St. Mary's included) and we are probably the best team on their schedule (Cal, BYU, UNLV.)

Does this really mean anything? No, but it makes me feel a little bit better.

Comment

Yes, I would have liked to beat one of the top-15 programs we have played to this point. But just because we wish it doesn't make it happen. 40 minutes of basketball has to be played with those teams...teams, which by the way, are also preparing to meet THEIR expectations. It just amazes me how many of our fanboard community has done a 180. Good grief, maybe, just maybe the progression of the season will bring small incremental improvements. It's a 4 or 5 month season. There will be ups and downs. We haven't had a bad loss...yet. Step away from the keyboard, take three deep breaths and sing the Shocker fight song a couple of times. And as doc commonly says...repeat as necessary!!! :wsu_posters:

Comment

I'm frustrated with the consistency of falling "just short" and of the uncertainty with the line-up as well as the inconsistency of play by all but Mr. Kyles. Such things are indicative of poor leadership and a lack strategic thinking.

Go Shocks!
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                SDSU won at Gonzaga and beat down Saint Mary's why are some so shocked at last nights outcome?
                That's what I was thinking. After SDSU beat Gonzaga, a lot on here were saying it was going to be a blowout when we played SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock
                  I'm frustrated with the consistency of falling "just short" and of the uncertainty with the line-up as well as the inconsistency of play by all but Mr. Kyles. Such things are indicative of poor leadership and a lack strategic thinking.
                  Go Shocks!
                  Pretty easy to say from a 30,000 feet view huh? I am perplexed at the mass volume of posters in the past 15 hours or so. Some think the Shocks are intitled to win against a top-15 opponent (UConn/SDSU). Are you kidding me??? You don't think in the camps of UConn & SDSU, they aren't grinding to meet their expectations as well? They apparently have more talent than we do. Not much better, but apparently better at this point. Hey, I don't agree with every decision HCGM makes, but I also believe he is in a better position than you and me to think strategically and lead this group of 18-26 year-olds. Come on you are better than that...I hope. Get a grip...it's only the first week of December. Some of you are acting like bandwagon fans. Some questioned the Shockers were impatient and paniced last night. Look in the mirror people...you are doing the same thing. We aren't intitled to anything...we just have to work hard and smart, in addition to recognizing where we have to improve. Give this team a chance. Drinking to much koolaide gives your taste buds a false taste of security.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Snap out of it, SHOXMVC. It's all good. Nobody is quitting, and nobody is drinking kool-aid. 'Only kool-aid here is I wouldn't be surprised to see SDSU in the elite eight.

Comment

• How well did our 2006 team fare against top 25 teams during the pre conference portion of the season? I can't remember the scores, but I seem to remember a team that learned a few lessons the hard way....

Comment

• What I think I learned:

Joe will be very good once he stops fouling and getting out bigs killed by playing poor d on the dribble drive. SDSU targeted him.

When we needed big baskets the team did not go to the "go to" guys. A little better recognition of situations and I think this gets solved. There were four straight possessions in the first half where the shot did not come from a scorer and the results were predictable. I am all for guys having a green light to shoot, but none of these shots were open and all were early in the shot clock. Identify the opportunity costs and this game looks a little different.

JT was very successful when he took his time to get deep. We need him to work harder on offense.

TM will force plays if he hasn't had his number called. I don't blame him but I think he is going to figure out how to make a consistent impact within the offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker
                          Snap out of it, SHOXMVC. It's all good. Nobody is quitting, and nobody is drinking kool-aid. 'Only kool-aid here is I wouldn't be surprised to see SDSU in the elite eight.
                          Snap out of what? What's all good...all the Debbie Downers. Or is it the koolaide drinkers that think all the body part machines in the world is going to make Garrett Stutz into the great post player he was advertised. Nobody is quitting!!! Maybe you should scan back a few pages in a few threads. Some posters need to be talked off the edge, already conceding an NIT bid and assuming on December 5 we are destined to have to win on March 6 to get to the dance. I don't claim it will be easy, but I have layed out a plan in a couple of threads assuming we lost last night to still get to the dance. Probably one bad loss will derail that plan, but it is possible.

Comment

• I think we got caught up in the pre-season hype and assumed that all our returning players would naturally return in better form than where they left off at the end of last season. Unfortunately, only DK has significantly improved and several have seriously regressed.

The season is young and there is certainly time for improvement, however, we have some serious deficiencies which need to be corrected before we are going to simply waltz through this weak conference and/or shoot for the moon in St. Louis.

Comment

• Snap out of lashing out at everybody, SHOXMVC.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker
                                Snap out of lashing out at everybody, SHOXMVC.
                                You obviously didn't scan back. That's ok. I honestly don't want to make anybody feel lashed out at. I have been on the receiving end of other posters points in a spirited discussion, which I thought this was. I didn't feel lashed out at. I simply look at it as...build a case & back it up without whining. And believe it or not, in some of my past discussions with other posters, I have had to concede my point, because they made a better one. I am comfortable in my own skin to admit defeat. Sorry you are offended and feel you have to speak for Shocker Nation.

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Working...
                                X