X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's wrong. Period. Let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by shockall
      Not saying that anyone is wrong in this discussion thread, but looking at life outside the basketball arena for a bit.....Managers/executives who leave one place of employment to advance themselves will usually search for people who will make them successful. Many times they come from the company they just left. Sometimes employees will want to follow a certain person and that is their choice in life. If DB was signing with WSU just because of a person (MT), and not with the WSU arena, school, etc., it would be natural for him to request a move to the "other" place.... and all the attempts to retain that person will fall on deft ears.
      Fine. But they also most likely will have to sign a "no compete clause". Or, as the NCAA calls it, the player must sit out a year, if they are not let out of their "contract".

Comment

On more than one occasion, I have expressed my displeasure about Coach Turgeon and the Denzel Bowles matter.

However, after thinking about it, I am not so sure my displeasure is justified.

If there is anyone in sports, who places a higher value on propriety than Coach Turgeon, then I would like to meet him.

If Coach Turgeon was given AD Schaus' blessing to sign Bowles, I would not be surprised. If AD Schaus chose not to make his blessing known to the public because of possible future effects on recruiting, I would not be surprised.

If Coach Turgeon signed Bowles without WSU permission, then I am hacked at him. In the coaching fraternity, there is a strong code of conduct and the taking of Bowles without permission is a violation of the code. Additionally, recruiting for A&M at the fiscal expense of WSU is unethical and not very damn smart.

I am pretty sure I have had some dumb moments in my life. Maybe others on this esteemed forum have as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
          Not saying that anyone is wrong in this discussion thread, but looking at life outside the basketball arena for a bit.....Managers/executives who leave one place of employment to advance themselves will usually search for people who will make them successful. Many times they come from the company they just left. Sometimes employees will want to follow a certain person and that is their choice in life. If DB was signing with WSU just because of a person (MT), and not with the WSU arena, school, etc., it would be natural for him to request a move to the "other" place.... and all the attempts to retain that person will fall on deft ears.
          Fine. But they also most likely will have to sign a "no compete clause". Or, as the NCAA calls it, the player must sit out a year, if they are not let out of their "contract".
          I'm not sure what good it would have been for the team, school or the recruit to keep him or mandate his LOI when he didn't want to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by kssoak
            I'm not sure what good it would have been for the team, school or the recruit to keep him or mandate his LOI when he didn't want to be here.
            Your point is a different issue. Just because no one would care, it would be improper for me to force JJ Clamdip to attend a KU basketball game.

The point under discussion is whether Coach Turgeon did anything improper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
              Your point is a different issue. Just because no one would care, it would be improper for me to force JJ Clamdip to attend a KU basketball game.

No, because it wasn't MT's decision. Ultimately, it was DB's decision which college to attend.

Comment

No, because it wasn't MT's decision. Ultimately, it was DB's decision which college to attend.
                Not exactly. Coaches can pretty much choose who they'll allow in and who they won't.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Are you funnin' me, as they say in the south?

Comment

On more than one occasion, I have expressed my displeasure about Coach Turgeon and the Denzel Bowles matter.

However, after thinking about it, I am not so sure my displeasure is justified.

If there is anyone in sports, who places a higher value on propriety than Coach Turgeon, then I would like to meet him.

If Coach Turgeon was given AD Schaus' blessing to sign Bowles, I would not be surprised. If AD Schaus chose not to make his blessing known to the public because of possible future effects on recruiting, I would not be surprised.

If Coach Turgeon signed Bowles without WSU permission, then I am hacked at him. In the coaching fraternity, there is a strong code of conduct and the taking of Bowles without permission is a violation of the code. Additionally, recruiting for A&M at the fiscal expense of WSU is unethical and not very damn smart.

I am pretty sure I have had some dumb moments in my life. Maybe others on this esteemed forum have as well.

I agree with you. And if by some strange chance, JS gave him permission then I am hacked at both of them .

In general I like Turgeon, but this particular recruiting incident is just plain bad and wrong.

I also can't blame Mark for leaving. He needed to leave while he good still get a good job at a BCS school (since that is what he wanted and he wants to retire around 50). With 2 straight recruiting classes falling apart (for whatever reasons), he knew he wasn't going to have much after this season. And with the SO problem, and maybe Gal leaving before this season had Mark stayed, this season also had to be a question mark.

I probably would have left also under the same circumstances, but I hope I wouldn't have pulled the recruiting stunt with Bowels.

Comment

Working...
                    X