No announcement yet.

How many degrees......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally don't have a problem with these guys and I know it is great to have amazing fans but I just worry what it makes people think of WSU when these guys are sitting in the front row of the student section like they have been for the past 10 years.

Can this image possibly be hurting our school by having kids watching the games saying no way do I want to go to school with a bunch of old people?? Can't these guys cheer or give just as much sitting a couple of rows back and letting our more traditional students be the face of our program??

Hell, I travel to the majority of our games but you won’t see me sitting on the front row. I gave up the front row of the student section after I graduated, but I never stopped being a huge Shocker fan.

Some of you may think that I am being petty for making these kinds of conclusions, but when was the last time that you have seen a group of 18 year old kids that didn’t judge quickly based on appearance?

You can still be great fans and all true Shocker fans appreciate these guys loyalty and support, but I think it's time to let some of the other students have their time to shine.

Comment

[quote="Speed"]
      Originally posted by Big Ol' Badass Balla
      These guys are no more an embarassment than the more well-fed of our dance team members .

:innocent:

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Their constant exposure makes for an “odd”, and some might say unfavorable, image. I would be lying if I said I didn’t cringe from time to time. Even my wife commented about when she can expect them to graduate.

That said they are enthusiastic (which the camera will always gravitate toward) and they show up early for the seats (like I used to do). Their support for the basketball program, just based on the comments here and how often I see them on television, far and away exceeds the majority of the student body.

So while they might appear to be a little “creepy” and certainly out of place in a student section – they get a pass in my book. They are not the problem.

Comment

I know one of them (Rob) and I talked to him at the Creighton game. He is very intelligent and a great guy. He might do a bit of teaching for Butler CC; I'm not certain. In a classroom, I'd put him ahead of almost everybody on this board.
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
            I know one of them (Rob) and I talked to him at the Creighton game. He is very intelligent and a great guy. He might do a bit of teaching for Butler CC; I'm not certain. In a classroom, I'd put him ahead of almost everybody on this board.
            SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              Originally posted by newshock1234
              Originally posted by Jeffrey Korchek
              I'd figure there are plenty of things that should be complained about before we start in on some guys who go to EVERY SINGLE GAME and cheer their butts off all the time. Who cares if they're in the student section? There's a small group of 90-year-old women who sit in GA, should they move to other seats? No, because they are awesome.

FWIW, I don't know any of the guys in question, but people here complain often about the crowd not getting rowdy enough and I guarantee you these guys are not what is holding us back.
              :good:
              +2

And let me add that we need MORE fans like these guys (and gals), not fewer. Frankly, I'd like to see Coach throw them some love sometime.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
              +3 :good:

Comment

I know one of them posts on this board alot....
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

The truth hurts. :D

I don't know about grades but, in terms of raw intelligence, Rob is very sharp. (Of coure, all Shockers are sharp; if they were not, they would have gone to Creighton, MSU, ILSU, ... or to party schools (e.g. SIU, KU, KSU). How many times a week do you want to wake up with a serious hangover? Or find a (SIU) "deer" in the back seat of your car?)
                  :lol:
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by JaminShock
                    I'd figure there are plenty of things that should be complained about before we start in on some guys who go to EVERY SINGLE GAME and cheer their butts off all the time. Who cares if they're in the student section? There's a small group of 90-year-old women who sit in GA, should they move to other seats? No, because they are awesome.

FWIW, I don't know any of the guys in question, but people here complain often about the crowd not getting rowdy enough and I guarantee you these guys are not what is holding us back.
                    +2

And let me add that we need MORE fans like these guys (and gals), not fewer. Frankly, I'd like to see Coach throw them some love sometime.

+4

If you want more traditional students in the front rows, then maybe the traditional students should give more of a damn about their 16-2 basketball team and line up an hour before the game to beat these guys to the front row.

Again, I do admit they're not the *ideal* representatives for a national tv audience, but who are we to complain? Half our student body only shows up when we're *good* or when we're playing on ESPN.

I'll give these "farts" more love than the rest of our bandwagon-filled student body.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
                      I know one of them posts on this board alot....
                      I have my suspicions too and I'm sure a thread like this is making them feel grrrrreat.. :good:
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I know we have a poster who stands next to these guys but hasn't been there near as long. Rob used to post here I think but not sure if he's still around or not. Don't remember what he went by.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I like them there...like a familiar piece of furniture...I nicknamed the dude in the Hawiian shirt John Belushi a year or two ago

Comment

I know there are a few that sit in the student section because they do not like sitting down during the game and want to be able to yell and cheer at their loudest. I will sit in the student section every once in awhile so I can enjoy that atmosphere and stand the whole game. I get dirty looks most of the time where I sit in 125 towards the top when I try to get into the game too much.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

+2

+4

If you want more traditional students in the front rows, then maybe the traditional students should give more of a damn about their 16-2 basketball team and line up an hour before the game to beat these guys to the front row.

Again, I do admit they're not the *ideal* representatives for a national tv audience, but who are we to complain? Half our student body only shows up when we're *good* or when we're playing on ESPN.

I'll give these "farts" more love than the rest of our bandwagon-filled student body.
                              +5
                              I think by default student sections have interesting dynamics- at a "commuter" and sometimes "non traditional student" school doubly so. These guys rock, and I love seeing them on tv from out of state. Unique fans from a unique school- It's fun to have been a crazy Shocker along with them during my years.
                              andymooredesign.com

MTXE, SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMoore
                                Originally posted by ShockerFever

+2

+4

+5
                                I think by default student sections have interesting dynamics- at a "commuter" and sometimes "non traditional student" school doubly so. These guys rock, and I love seeing them on tv from out of state. Unique fans from a unique school- It's fun to have been a crazy Shocker along with them during my years.
                                +6

Comment

Working...
                                X