No announcement yet.

How many degrees......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob told me about this thread yesterday (Feb. 14) and now I'd like to offer my thoughts. I'm the one nicknamed on this thread as BigFart. My real name is Matt Lester. I'm the first one to arrive to the games every time. Most home games are at 7, my average arrival time at the arena is 12 noon. On weekends, I have to wait for a maintanance person to come by and open the door to let me in because weekends are not normal business days at the arean. At least they know why I'm there. A couple of those wonder about work. Right now, I don't work, but I am looking for a job. Since I don't have a job, I have nothing better to do on game days.

I arrive early, get some exercise by walking around the arena, and also when the team has their mid day practice on game day, I go down onto the court and help retrieve balls for those players there early just to shoot around. When they do practice I stay on the other side of the media table and talk with Mike Kennedy as he sets up equipment for the radio broadcast of the game. Then I also listen to him interview Marshall for the pregame show interview that is recorded. Because the coaches and players know of my loyalty to the team, they don't mind that I'm down on the court watching them.

As for the jersey I always where, it's a jersey that I got from my dad. If I remember right, it was an old practice jersey. I have worn it since I started going to WSU basketball games. Yes, it is small on me. My mom took it to a place that could extend it so I could still fit in it somewhat. I don't want to get rid of the jersey. I am a little on the heavy side and I'm trying to lose weight, but for me it's very difficult.

I am 25 years old and still taking classes at WSU. I was an accounting major for the longest time, but the highest level classes of ACCT. have a lot of details, are very difficult, and it's not the type of ACCT. I'm interested in. I've changed my major to Bus. Admn. so I can take some easier classes to graduate. I do have the minor in ACCT., but to graduate I need my GPA and my grades for my remaining classes so high. I'm not staying in WSU on purpose just to see the games, I am a student whose taking classes and trying to graduate, eventhough it's taken me 7 years so far.

I also have another jersey I wear for baseball. I wear the jersey with buttons unbuttoned and a Shocker Maniacs shirt underneath. Baseball has always been my first love. Unlike basketball though, I don't sit in the student section (outfield hill and steel grandstands on 1st base side). In fact, I don't sit at all. I stand in the main grandstand area to cheer on the shocker baseball team.

Along with Rob, I help to lead the cheers in the student section. Not many have steped up to take our places for our seats or the cheering. I do get on TV a lot, but then again a lot of students only come to games that are on TV, a.k.a. TV bandwagoners. I don't appreciate students who only come to a few games when were winning and act like they're loyal. True Shocker Loyalists follow WSU basketball through thick or thin, win or lose, hot or cold, ect.

Well, that's my two cents worth. I hope that those of you who are students posting here take notice. If you want a shot at my seat, show up as early as I do. I don't intend to give up my seat easily.

P.S. I enjoy the leg room of the front row.

:wsu_posters: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

• Nice post.

Don't worry about what some of the old farts say and their perception for what's best for tv games.

You guys are true diehards. More power to ya.

:posterwu:
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• So if you don't like, you need to calm down or just bugger off.
        Spent some time in England , Australia or NZ? :wsu_posters: 8)
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Not bad for my very first post don't ya think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattman Shocker Loyalist
            Not bad for my very first post don't ya think?
            Good first post BigFart. I only caught 5 spelling errors in your thesis and a couple of fragments. Oh, and we all appreciate your use of paragraphs.

:good:
            SFL is back!

Comment

• If anyone questions these guys after all this, I think they might just not "get it".

Good stuff. A little personal, but that's ok.

And by the way, when did it become mandatory to defend your "fandom"?

Comment

• Their fandom was never attacked as far as I remember but some took it that way.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I am getting a kick out of this thread.

I watch every game I can on TV, being out of state, and never thought about the front row of the student section. I care more about the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by SFL
                    Originally posted by Mattman Shocker Loyalist
                    Not bad for my very first post don't ya think?
                    Good first post BigFart. I only caught 5 spelling errors in your thesis and a couple of fragments. Oh, and we all appreciate your use of paragraphs.

:good:
                    Welcome BigFart!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Punchy
                      I am getting a kick out of this thread.

I watch every game I can on TV, being out of state, and never thought about the front row of the student section. I care more about the game.
                      The evolution of shockernet is fascinating.

Comment

• Matt and Rob,

Great post to the both of you! As a fellow student, more on the traditional side than both of you however, I want to thank you both for your loyalty and support of the program. I've been coming to games for about 4 years now and sit in about the first or second row for nearly every game. While maybe not as "traditional" of students as most would expect in the front row, you both actually represent WSU's commuter student body very well. Not to mention, your enthusiasm and knowledge of the team are more than adequate to lead our student section. Keep doing what you're doing and we'll continue to have one of the best and loudest arenas in the nation!

Comment

• I'm still waiting to see Dicky V come to CKA to show him what our atmosphere is like.

:goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattman Shocker Loyalist
                            I'm still waiting to see Dicky V come to CKA to show him what our atmosphere is like.

:goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
                            We can always dream...

College Game Day (Fall 2010)
                            MVC vs. Conference USA
                            Wichita State vs Tulsa
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Since we have a couple of the student section leaders here I have a question/thought.

After seeing the "winning team/losing team" cheer at USU, it would be great if WSU could have something with similar impact, "cool factor" unique to WSU and/or the Roundhouse. Has there been any talk of such a cheer?

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock
                                Since we have a couple of the student section leaders here I have a question/thought.

After seeing the "winning team/losing team" cheer at USU, it would be great if WSU could have something with similar impact, "cool factor" unique to WSU and/or the Roundhouse. Has there been any talk of such a cheer?
                                What was their cheer?

Comment

Working...
                                X