Coy drops Basketball for Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    No doubt we are missing some key pieces to this puzzle and it is probably best that we just accept the situation for what it is -- a young man has decided to concentrate on one sport -- and let it go at that.

I certainly don't see it as a real big blow to the Men's Basketball program. I'm still expecting a much better year from the Shocks with a very good chance for them to surprise on the upside.
    Well put – I concur completely. :yes:

Comment

I'm sorry, but first, the Athletic Director should have overseen this situation, and made sure that Gene and HCGM coordinated things between the sports
      for Coy. Agreements should have been made, and priorities assigned for each sport.

I can not fault Coy in any way, he is going with Baseball, which is his best option, altthough I do feel he would have been good on the basketball team too.

Comment

Krusty once again gets his way.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
          Originally posted by Veritas
          Originally posted by Wuzee
          Isn't this where your AD rides in a helps broker a solution -- or at least directs the coaching staffs talk to each other? The fact that Sexton wasn't even mentioned gives me pause.
          My thoughts as well. Sexton continues to cause me concern...
          -- shot clock mishandling
          -- Adams mishandling
          -- losing the tennis coach (perhaps a stretch here) to Stoolwater
          -- Coy mishandling

What is this guy doing??? Unless he's like the CIA where we don't hear of the successes, then I'd have to say I'm becoming concerned about the leadership of the athletic department.
          ill give you the adams thing maybe, but the rest is bs

He didn't even use a tablecloth on the stage when they announced GM as the bb coach!
          For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
          - said no one ever...

Comment

The thing about this is it's impossible to really lay down too much judgment. We only have 1 side of the story. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is. So I reserve judgment on this one and just wish Coy the best.

I'm still very excited about the season and our arsenal is still overflowing! :) GO SHOX!
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              No doubt we are missing some key pieces to this puzzle and it is probably best that we just accept the situation for what it is -- a young man has decided to concentrate on one sport -- and let it go at that.

I like this a lot. Lock it up.
              Ditto.

We have no idea what the coaches said and when they said it.

We have no idea what AD Sexton said and when he said it.

And we have no idea about most of what Coy said.

The forum is in a he said-she said circle jerk. (Do I have a mixed metaphor of sorts there?)
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

This whole thing feels a bit like a knee jerk reaction to me, especially if the phone call from HCGM's office was the first time JC's family had heard of it. Maybe our AD can come in, mend fences, and get the two coaches talking together and work out a way for JC to play both sports for a year with a final decision to be made in March. Too bad he has to go into debt with out of state tuition when the money is there and too bad we will play one scholarship player short again this year. Who knows, he might end up liking the double duty and decide to continue.

Worst case is that he is an insurance policy in case of injury to another player on the basketball team for a year and then still has 3 more shots at the MLB draft.

The problem with this very longshot after-the-fact solution is that one of our head coaches (and maybe both) would have to give a little to make the schedules work. One of the main reasons why our coaches are good is becasue of the confidence and self assurance that they each have. These are not, however, the qualities that lend themselves to compromise.
                Sounds like the horse is already out of the barn but one can always dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Harley
                  This whole thing feels a bit like a knee jerk reaction to me, especially if the phone call from HCGM's office was the first time JC's family had heard of it. Maybe our AD can come in, mend fences, and get the two coaches talking together and work out a way for JC to play both sports for a year with a final decision to be made in March. Too bad he has to go into debt with out of state tuition when the money is there and too bad we will play one scholarship player short again this year. Who knows, he might end up liking the double duty and decide to continue.

Worst case is that he is an insurance policy in case of injury to another player on the basketball team for a year and then still has 3 more shots at the MLB draft.

The problem with this very longshot after-the-fact solution is that one of our head coaches (and maybe both) would have to give a little to make the schedules work. One of the main reasons why our coaches are good is becasue of the confidence and self assurance that they each have. These are not, however, the qualities that lend themselves to compromise.
                  Sounds like the horse is already out of the barn but one can always dream.
                  seeing how rivals just updated to show that we offered a 6'5" SF out of Midland CC (played Paris Juco last year).....I would say the horse is definately out of the barn!

Here is the info from tropicalshox on the recruting forum: http://www.shockernet.net/sn/viewtopic.php?t=14832
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                    And with all the hype of wanting and finally getting Coy here to WSU, half of it now circles down the toilet, while the other half will do the same in the summer of '10 when Coy bounces to the draft.
                    I don't know KC....there is HYPE (see EO) and there is excitement about possibility.

I think Johnny fits into the second group. I don't think that many fans really expected him to compete for much time in season one....maybe down the line. As fans, we usually like the kids we sign....whether it's Johnny Coy and Ehimen Orupke for me or Elijiah Johnson and Xavier Henry for you. :D I don't think that is undue hype.
                    No you didn't break out X-zah-v-aaaa on me! That was good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio

I like this a lot. Lock it up.
                      Ditto.

We have no idea what the coaches said and when they said it.

We have no idea what AD Sexton said and when he said it.

And we have no idea about most of what Coy said.

The forum is in a he said-she said circle jerk. (Do I have a mixed metaphor of sorts there?)
                      I have no issue with Coy wanting to concentrate on the one sport with which he has the best professional future. I'm more concerned about the media coverage which makes out athletic department seem like no one is at the tiller.
                      "Complicit" is probably not the right word, but AD Sexton, while not reporting it, should certainly be preventing the negative press which makes our coaches seem uncooperative and not very empathetic to the conflicting needs of a student athlete.
                      -- Shot clock issue was a rookie mistake
                      -- Adams issue which resulted in negative press was mishandled
                      -- Tennis coach to OSU was disappointing
                      -- Coy issue seems to be mishandled by the AD and again results in some negative press about our coaches.

No BS here... sometimes it is just hard to spin inexperience and frankly - - - - very silly mistakes.

Comment

I walked by Koch Arena today, and saw Coy talking to someone, Coy looked upset, it seemed to me this decision was a very hard one for him.
                        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I saw AD Sexton in the hallway at Koch Arena. He and Paul Suellentrop were walking side by side. AD Sexton had his arm around Paul's shoulder.

AD Sexton was speaking softly to Paul. I could not hear what he said. I think he was making things all better.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

The media has great power to shape opinion, for good or bad. The tone of this story seemed rushed and overly negative to the athletic department. Certainly, the Eagle has no obligation to be a promotional arm of WSU, but this could have been handled differently by all involved, including Sullentrop. I doubt his approach to this story raised anyone at WSU's opinion of him. If that doesn't bother Sullentrop, so be it. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he gets less access to key personnel, or a less than friendly greeting from them the next time he needs a quote.
                            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Isn't this type of thing the exact reason you have an AD? Coaches are capable of running their own programs but you need the AD to step in when things like this occur. Maybe Gene was wearing his AD hat when the decision was made, but the person being paid to be the AD didn't seem to have much involvement...

Comment

Sounds to me like Coy made decisions and announced them before the AD got a chance to be involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X