Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: williams

Originally posted by xazshox
    I dont' see them redshirting Williams. Clevin Hannah graduates after this season if Willilams redshirted now, they would have only one experienced point guard next year. Murry has played there, but GM is talking about him playing some at the 3 swing forward positioni this year, too.

A really good juco guard coming in next year would not surprise me.

I just cannot see Demetric being physically prepared to compete successfully at the high D1 level this season.....maybe if he were at a softer school, like Creighton, he could step in and play. But where the men are separated from the boys, he needs to develop at bit I think.

But dude is a baller.

Comment

I suppose it is possible the Johnny saw the athletes he was up against on the Basketball court and decided he had a real uphill battle to compete for time, especially with his attention divided between two sports. Although he would have been exposed to some pretty good athletes at Arizona. If, and that's a big if, that was the case that actually might be a pretty good sign (at least for a basketball program).

Johnny probably wasn't going to be a big factor on the Men's Basketball team this year, although I guess we will never know that for sure now.

Whether or not he can make a big impact on the Baseball team next spring remains to be seen, but obviously, his chances of doing so are much better now that he is concentrating on baeball.

I also undestand that a Coach of a team sport has to consider what is fair and appropriate to all the other players before making too many concessions to accomodate one athlete with special circumstances.

Who knows how Johnny would have done had he attempted both sports. I would prefer that Johnny excels at one sport rather than be mediocre at two. Hopefully, that is what will happen with his Shocker baseball career. Let's hope Johnny's career somewhat mirrors Paul Miller's career (in reverse).

I am also confident that HCGM will be able to more than adequately fill the scholarship this change in plans has created.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        I am also confident that HCGM will be able to more than adequately fill the scholarship this change in plans has created.

True, although I am equally confident that HCGM will 100% NOT be able to "adequately fill the scholarship" THIS season.

Comment

And with all the hype of wanting and finally getting Coy here to WSU, half of it now circles down the toilet, while the other half will do the same in the summer of '10 when Coy bounces to the draft.

Comment

I though the coaches had an agreement in place that would have allowed him to play both sports, guess not. Would have loved to have seen Coy at the three if he could defend the three position in the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
              And with all the hype of wanting and finally getting Coy here to WSU, half of it now circles down the toilet, while the other half will do the same in the summer of '10 when Coy bounces to the draft.
              :good: Enjoy the one season he has here at WSU, because he is going to be gone next summer.

Comment

I don't know KC....there is HYPE (see EO) and there is excitement about possibility.

I think Johnny fits into the second group. I don't think that many fans really expected him to compete for much time in season one....maybe down the line. As fans, we usually like the kids we sign....whether it's Johnny Coy and Ehimen Orupke for me or Elijiah Johnson and Xavier Henry for you. :D I don't think that is undue hype.

Comment

No idea at all what went done, dunno where any "blame" lies for this cluster, but the article I as I read it does not reflect well on either coach. That's all I was saying.

Comment

I'm fine with that, because it means that he will likely have had a good enough season to get drafted high enough to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers
                      No idea at all what went done, dunno where any "blame" lies for this cluster, but the article I as I read it does not reflect well on either coach. That's all I was saying.
                      Do you really expect our coaches to come out and question the integrity and commitment of a 19 yo?

Read it as you will, I will take the side that the 2 sport set up was not as rosy as he thought, and decided he could only handle one.

I doubt it had much to do with either coach more than they expected the same out of Johnny as they did out of any other player.

Comment

Re: williams

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                        Originally posted by xazshox
                        I dont' see them redshirting Williams. Clevin Hannah graduates after this season if Willilams redshirted now, they would have only one experienced point guard next year. Murry has played there, but GM is talking about him playing some at the 3 swing forward positioni this year, too.

A really good juco guard coming in next year would not surprise me.

I just cannot see Demetric being physically prepared to compete successfully at the high D1 level this season.....maybe if he were at a softer school, like Creighton, he could step in and play. But where the men are separated from the boys, he needs to develop at bit I think.

But dude is a baller.
                        I don't see the Juco guard senerio. Even with Toure' playing a lot of 3, that still leaves David, Kenny, Tyler, and Demetric. We have more 1-3 graduating in the next two years and with Coy gone from basketball (and to a much lesser extent, with Hawkins gone), we are definitely short handed at the 3. I would think our first target would be a freshman, maybe Juco 3, and, if not that, a freshman PG or freshman 1-2.

Comment

I'm a little upset of the timing of this as a couple others have mentioned. Weren't there agreements made? Wasn't anything planned out? When Coy committed here nearly a year ago, wasn't it apparent then to both coaches that he was going to compete in 2 sports?

This is purely speculation, but IMO, I'm guessing Gene didn't like him missing out on fall practices when the time actually came. Why this wasn't thought out ahead of time I have no clue.

What it does leave is a pretty crappy situation for one sport. Who knows how good he was at basketball? We didn't even get a chance to see him play so who knows how big or little of a loss he is. Regardless, it is one less scholly we have for the season and that BITES.

I'm kinda PO'ed right now with the coach(s). This shouldn't have happened the way it did.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                            I'm a little upset of the timing of this as a couple others have mentioned. Weren't there agreements made? Wasn't anything planned out? When Coy committed here nearly a year ago, wasn't it apparent then to both coaches that he was going to compete in 2 sports?

This is purely speculation, but IMO, I'm guessing Gene didn't like him missing out on fall practices when the time actually came. Why this wasn't thought out ahead of time I have no clue.

What it does leave is a pretty crappy situation for one sport. Who knows how good he was at basketball? We didn't even get a chance to see him play so who knows how big or little of a loss he is. Regardless, it is one less scholly we have for the season and that BITES.

I'm kinda PO'ed right now with the coach(s). This shouldn't have happened the way it did.
                            :ohno: :banghead:

Comment

A lot of our guards could see time at either the SG of SF positions this year. We can also play some 3 guard offenses. I'm disappointed that Coy won't be part of the team, but I'm sure HCGM can come up with an alternative to what he had planed with Coy. I'm not even sure he was sold on Coy as a three and we are fairly deep at the four especially if we don't redshirt Hamilton.

The only place i see us being thin is Center. I see Durley at 6'7" or 6'8" as more of a PF and Stutz even at 7'0" is comfortable both facing the basket and at long range. No reason your post has to be a 5 if he can defend the other teams 5, if they even have a true five.

Comment

Something that is being overlooked a little, is that Hamilton might play some as a 3. I believe he made 5 3's in one game.

Comment

Working...
                                X