OSU to offer Self 3.5 mil/yr plus 6 mil signing bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSU to offer Self 3.5 mil/yr plus 6 mil signing bonus

Bill Self, who last week indicated in a roundabout way he would not leave his current job at Kansas, might be the future recipient of a mammoth financial offer from his alma mater.

its funny on alot of the KU boards, say that if Self leaves, then alot of them want Turgeon
    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the timing of this has really got to peeve off Self and the Jhawk faithful. I wonder if CBS will ask him about it after the game? Will Self drop an S bomb ala Roy?

Nice little buyout for Sutton.
      Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Get paid Self, get paid. I know money isn't everything but it sure don't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by newshock1234
          its funny on alot of the KU boards, say that if Self leaves, then alot of them want Turgeon
          Funny stuff from KUSports:
          I'll be drinking Roy Williams Tears you can get a keg of them pretty easy right now.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
            Get paid Self, get paid. I know money isn't everything but it sure don't hurt either.

One thing is for certain, he is getting paid regardless of where he's coaching next fall.

Comment

He won't leave.
              "If (OSU officials) were to ask me what they should do, I would suggest they go a different direction," Self said during a press conference on Tuesday. "I'm not being remotely disrespectful to my alma mater. My intentions are to be here at Kansas, period."

Plus, now that they offered this before the National Championship I think that'll turn him off even more.
              "You can observe a lot just by watching."
              -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Doug Gottlieb reported that they have not contacted him yet about the offer, and do not plan too until after the Championship. Thier AD says they are supporting Coach Self and the Big 12 in the Championship and will not contact him until after the tourney as to try not to step on toes.

I think hiring away a coach from within your conference, whenever you do it, would be considered stepping on toes.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
                  I think hiring away a coach from within your conference, whenever you do it, would be considered stepping on toes.
                  Except when someone's alma mater is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

KU is only one of the top 5 jobs in college basketball coaching, who wouldn't want to leave there to go to Oklahoma State and get fired after 2 seasons if your team isn't up to par? :roll: Personally, I'd care more about winning than money and I'm sure Lew Perkins will up Bill's salary after this year to around $2 million per season anyway.
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

I can tell from this that he's pretty happy with his job at KU. I mean, KU is only one of the top 5 jobs in college basketball, who wouldn't want to leave there to go to Oklahoma State and get fired after 2 seasons if your team isn't up to par? :roll:
                      Someone that would walk away with $12 million+ after those two years of work?

Comment

KU is only one of the top 5 jobs in college basketball coaching, who wouldn't want to leave there to go to Oklahoma State and get fired after 2 seasons if your team isn't up to par? :roll: Personally, I'd care more about winning than money and I'm sure Lew Perkins will up Bill's salary after this year to around $2 million per season anyway.
                        It's easy to say that money isn't a factor when you're not the involved party.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngr

I can tell from this that he's pretty happy with his job at KU. I mean, KU is only one of the top 5 jobs in college basketball, who wouldn't want to leave there to go to Oklahoma State and get fired after 2 seasons if your team isn't up to par? :roll:
                          Someone that would walk away with $12 million+ after those two years of work?
                          Then get hired where? Jacksonville State? Seems like he'd be getting a bigger paycheck to stay at KU for the rest of his career than 2-3 years at OSU and get fired. They fired Sean Sutton after 2 years! His team even got better last season and they still fired him. I think the OSU job is a dead-end job where he'll be lucky to finish 4th in the Big 12 year in and year out. KU is a place where he'll have less work recruiting and will be at the top of D-1 basketball year in and year out.
                          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

Of course, but look at it this way:

Bill takes the OSU job and gets fired after 3 years, similar to Sean Sutton. He gets $16 million in those years but then has to take a job that pays $100,000 a year in a smaller conference due to his struggles at OSU. OSU is a dead end job, it'll take 5 years just to get it back to the top 3 in the Big 12 south. He'll be fired long before that.

Or

He stays at KU and gets $2 million a year plus bonuses for going to the Elite 8, Final Four, National Title game and being in multiple commercials and ads. Plus, he's constantly getting raises after his contracts run out every 3-5 years.

Seems to me that the money would be better staying at KU instead of leaving and going to OSU where job security is slim. You just know that those OSU fans and ol' T. Boone will get restless when Bill doesn't win with the band of scrubs they have on that roster.
                            -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

Of course, but look at it this way:

Bill takes the OSU job and gets fired after 3 years, similar to Sean Sutton. He gets $16 million in those years but then has to take a job that pays $100,000 a year in a smaller conference due to his struggles at OSU. OSU is a dead end job, it'll take 5 years just to get it back to the top 3 in the Big 12 south. He'll be fired long before that.

Or

He stays at KU and gets $2 million a year plus bonuses for going to the Elite 8, Final Four, National Title game and being in multiple commercials and ads. Plus, he's constantly getting raises after his contracts run out every 3-5 years.

Seems to me that the money would be better staying at KU instead of leaving and going to OSU where job security is slim. You just know that those OSU fans and ol' T. Boone will get restless when Bill doesn't win with the band of scrubs they have on that roster.
                              That all might be true, except for the fact that Bill Self is not going to lose, no matter where he goes. He would absolutely not ever be fired from OSU (especially after only 3 years)

Bill Self is a much better coach than what you're giving him.

Comment

Working...
                              X