• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA2929
    Originally posted by ShockerFever
    Originally posted by BA2929
    Originally posted by rrshock
    Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
    I think hiring away a coach from within your conference, whenever you do it, would be considered stepping on toes.
    Except when someone's alma mater is involved.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

KU is only one of the top 5 jobs in college basketball coaching, who wouldn't want to leave there to go to Oklahoma State and get fired after 2 seasons if your team isn't up to par? :roll: Personally, I'd care more about winning than money and I'm sure Lew Perkins will up Bill's salary after this year to around $2 million per season anyway.
    It's easy to say that money isn't a factor when you're not the involved party.
    Of course, but look at it this way:

Bill takes the OSU job and gets fired after 3 years, similar to Sean Sutton. He gets $16 million in those years but then has to take a job that pays $100,000 a year in a smaller conference due to his struggles at OSU. OSU is a dead end job, it'll take 5 years just to get it back to the top 3 in the Big 12 south. He'll be fired long before that.

Or

He stays at KU and gets $2 million a year plus bonuses for going to the Elite 8, Final Four, National Title game and being in multiple commercials and ads. Plus, he's constantly getting raises after his contracts run out every 3-5 years.

Seems to me that the money would be better staying at KU instead of leaving and going to OSU where job security is slim. You just know that those OSU fans and ol' T. Boone will get restless when Bill doesn't win with the band of scrubs they have on that roster.

The contract would have a very large guaranteed portion. Self has too much negotiating leverage for it not to...and if it does, he will be able to tell Pickens to take a hike any time he wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox
      I think it will come out like this....Self to OSU and will never be fired. MT to KU and will be.

KU will not hire MT in 2008. Book it.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
        I don't see KU going after Turgeon.

List of possible candidates for KU:

Calipari (very longshot), Sean Miller (VERY expensive buyout), Tony Bennett, and Mark Few.

No chance on Tony Bennett.

Calipari would take that job in a second. The only question would be if KU would pursue with the baggage.

I'm betting Calipari, Wright, Brown, & Miller would all get some run.

Comment

Re: Self and OSU

There is one other side benefit that can even be more lucrative than the bonus and yearly salary from OSU.

The association with Pickens and the possibility of investments through him could potentially pay amounts of income that KU could never ever dream of matching. Right now there are astronomical amounts of income being earned through the Barnett Shell development (largest gas field in the nation) and Pickens is in the middle of it. There are other investments, as well.

Self is relatively young and hitching his future to Pickens could produce for him unimaginable security! The association with Pickens and the doors that the association opens are incredible! This is networking of the highest level!

Something to think about.

Comment

This report might not have any legs. On my way home from work I was listening to a sports show - I think it was Keitzman. I know Keitzman has zero cred.

He tried to find a source. The source of the story may have been a blog by an Oklahoma equivalent of Keitzman. The story broke there before it appeared on news sites and the news sites seemed to be basically quoting the blog from the guy in Stillwater.

This could be "sports talk show host" journalism which got picked up by the majors 'cause it's a great story the day of the NC game.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
              Originally posted by t7017s
              Larry brown will be at KU before Turg will If self does leave for OSU. Thats if Larry is serious about getting back in the game at the college level like he claims.
              You think they would bring back the guy who got them put on probation? :D

It wouldn't surprise me if they did.
              Its sure not bothering them now that they are "celebrating" the 1988 championship team.

Comment

Bill Self to OSU

Lew Perkins back to WSU to revive football..... after KU fires him for not keeping Bill...

:D
                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                  This report might not have any legs. On my way home from work I was listening to a sports show - I think it was Keitzman. I know Keitzman has zero cred.

He tried to find a source. The source of the story may have been a blog by an Oklahoma equivalent of Keitzman. The story broke there before it appeared on news sites and the news sites seemed to be basically quoting the blog from the guy in Stillwater.

This could be "sports talk show host" journalism which got picked up by the majors 'cause it's a great story the day of the NC game.
                  Doug Gottlieb (OSU Grad) made calls and confirmed an impressive offer will be made to Self after the Championship game. Details were not mentioned, but it erased ANY doubt that OSU will make a big offer, because offering near the same would make it a no brainer for Self.

Comment

i dont care if they pay him 16 million anything to hurt ku right now.
                    "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                    CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

RipEm, don't waste your energy. KU is in a position where even if Self leaves they'll hire just as good a coach.

Learn how to ignore the smack from your KU-fan associates and have real basketball discussion with them. When they can't keep up, most of them will shut up

Comment

"Six million? ............. That's the amount Oklahoma State's Ol' Billionaire -- T. Boone Pickens -- is rumored to be willing to pay the Kansas coach just for putting his name on a contract to coach the Cowboys.

Once he does, Self could get into some really serious money. Six years for an additional $26 million in actual salary is a number that could set up Self's grandchildren's grandchildren for life. That's before Pickens offers to take, say, 80 percent of that money and invest it for Self.

That's what the great money managers do. Two years ago Pickens gave a then-record $165 million donation to Okie State. The New York Times reported that the money spent less than an hour in the university's account before being invested in a hedge fund controlled by Pickens' own BP Capital Management.

It is said to be worth $300 million now. "

Comment

I guess it would all depend on how much Self wants money. You can only spend so much in your lifetime. He is making very good money where he is and as long as he loves what he is doing and where he is doing it, has enough money to make his family more than comfortable, and be able to leave a legacy for his kids and grandkids, you don't need $30 million in 6 years to do it. He has a lot of years left for coaching.

Speculation is kinda fun in something like this, but the bottom line is that Self will make the decision that is best for him and his family. If you are a KU fan and are positive in your own mind what Self will do, I think there is just a little doubt that will creep in because the money is so huge.

Comment

Well if it does happen....I think KU's next coach would be Calipari.
                            1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

If Bill Self does go to OSU then, obviously, KU should look at Steve Eck

Comment

Self is not going anywhere. He just elevated himself to demi-god last night in Lawrence, and I am sure they will give him plenty of money.

Comment

Working...
                                X