No announcement yet.

OSU to offer Self 3.5 mil/yr plus 6 mil signing bonus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill Self will never have to settle for a $100k per year job. There are plenty of schools like WSU that would gladly pay him from $500K on up to coach.

But like what Vbird53 said, he isn't going to lose, and OSU wouldn't cut him out like you think either.

Comment

If he goes, OSU would be a top 10 team within 4 years.

Comment

My head hurts. I need a beer.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
          I'm guessing you'll need quite a few around 10:45 tonight too.

Comment

Good luck tonight Indy!

By the way, Bill Self isn't going anywhere... you can book it! :good:

P.S. He wouldn't take the OSU job for 10MM year.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

1. Self would not get fired at OSU... PERIOD. I don't care how badly they are doing 5 years from now. Self is a proven coach and recruiter. At least 2 of his teams that I can think of in the last few years have made the NCAA tourney final game. If he can't make something out of OSU, they will need to look in other areas to find the problem, because it's not the coach.

2. Self would make the NCAA Tournament at OSU. I don't think there's a question of if he will do well. He will make the NCAA tourney and make OSU fans happy.

3. Say money doesn't matter all you want KU fans, but when someone is waving a $6 Mil bonus in your face, then you can talk. $6 million takes him what??? 4 years to make at his job at KU and OSU is offering to give him that today. Plus 200% - 300% more than he's making now each year after that.

4. KU will offer Self more, but I don't think they will come close to OSU's offer. Best case scenario for KU is they will be out of pocket an extra $15 - $25 million for the next 10 year contract they get Billy boy to sign.

If it were me and someone was offering me 4 times my current salary in a lump sum to move home, plus a huge raise, there would be no question... I'd be gone, don't care how "prestigious" the old job was.

Comment

There are plenty of arguments to make in support of Self not leaving KU for OSU.

But the arguments BA is making are not among them. Saying that Self would get fired after three years and only be able to get a job making 100,000 is pretty silly.

OSU is a decent job. Eddie had some very good years there and the resources are apparently darn near unlimited. And, oh yeah, they used to have some guy named Iba and I think they've won as many basketball national championships as our friends in Lawrence. Obviously, OSU does not have the prestige and allure of KU, but it is not a dead end job by any stretch of the imagination, particularly for the right coach.

I think the prestige of Kansas and the fact he would be going home with the possiblity of resurrecting a once proud program probably about cancel each other out for him. But it seems to me that it wouldn't be that easy working for T. Boone and his AD. I would think that would be a major turn off.
                Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Money

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I got a $6 million signing bonus plus $3.5 million per year, and got fired after one year, I wouldn't need to take any job anywhere at any salary for the rest of my life -- and if I have anything to say about it, I plan to be around for a long time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU
                    Good luck tonight Indy!

By the way, Bill Self isn't going anywhere... you can book it! :good:

P.S. He wouldn't take the OSU job for 10MM year.
                    Thank you WstateU, and I hope you're right!

All KU is hoping for is that Self turns down the most money ever offered to coach collegiate basketball ...

But I don't think he leaves a place like Illinois, which was stocked with talent and primed for a title run, for KU if he didn't really want to be in Lawrence. Naismith Drive versus Pickens Way. We'll see.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

I think it will come out like this....Self to OSU and will never be fired. MT to KU and will be.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

Larry brown will be at KU before Turg will If self does leave for OSU. Thats if Larry is serious about getting back in the game at the college level like he claims.

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
                          Larry brown will be at KU before Turg will If self does leave for OSU. Thats if Larry is serious about getting back in the game at the college level like he claims.
                          You think they would bring back the guy who got them put on probation? :D

It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Comment

I don't see KU going after Turgeon.

List of possible candidates for KU:

Calipari (very longshot), Sean Miller (VERY expensive buyout), Tony Bennett, and Mark Few.

Comment

Lew Perkins asked Bob Knight about getting a list of people he should contact should Self leave.

Comment

Billy Gillespie gets one of the 2 jobs, either OSU, or more likely KU.

Comment

Working...
                                X